Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Cars Magazine Renewals

Just a couple of suggestions.......I would think that eliminating the poly bags and printing the magazine on less expensive stock would reduce the publication costs considerably.  When you look at the number of subscribers versus the number of them complaining about getting "damaged" copies, it does not seem like a good business decision to add the burden of bagging the magazine and although printing on expensive stock gives the impression of value, it is after all just a magazine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pleased to say my copy arrived in Perth Western Australia yesterday.  As the most remote capital city in the world it takes a bit longer than most.  And what a great issue for a comeback - loved Harry's wagons (I'll never build one but loved reading about 'em) loved Tim's roadsters, loved the diecast 41 Chevy mods (couldn't put a finger on why mine looked odd - now I know), loved NNL East, loved the sketchpad....  a great read and worth the wait.  Thanks Gregg and all involved.

Cheers

Alan

• 4 weeks later...

I am pleased to say that I am not concerned whether my issues arrive on time or not. The problems of running a small business are myriad, not the least of which is cash flow. I am a small businessman, and I know of what I speak. Added to the one man show that Model Cars is, it gets exponentially worse. Even in the sorry event that Model Cars ceased to exist and my subscription cost disappeared without fulfillment, oh well. I would count my blessings that it lasted as long as it did and be thankful. I do hope that Gregg gets it sorted out, and can continue this stellar publication. I have been in this hobby for over 50 years, and have seen many magazines come and go, and many have delivery time issues. And in the big picture of things, it is a non issue, and certainly not one well served by being a burr under the saddle of the person who is spending WAY more time and money of his own to give this magazine to you. Thank you Gregg, and I hope it works out well. Personally, I would not complain about a lesser issue/more cost per year solution. This magazine is that good.

I am pleased to say that I am not concerned whether my issues arrive on time or not. The problems of running a small business are myriad, not the least of which is cash flow. I am a small businessman, and I know of what I speak. Added to the one man show that Model Cars is, it gets exponentially worse. Even in the sorry event that Model Cars ceased to exist and my subscription cost disappeared without fulfillment, oh well. I would count my blessings that it lasted as long as it did and be thankful. I do hope that Gregg gets it sorted out, and can continue this stellar publication. I have been in this hobby for over 50 years, and have seen many magazines come and go, and many have delivery time issues. And in the big picture of things, it is a non issue, and certainly not one well served by being a burr under the saddle of the person who is spending WAY more time and money of his own to give this magazine to you. Thank you Gregg, and I hope it works out well. Personally, I would not complain about a lesser issue/more cost per year solution. This magazine is that good.

Thanks, Tom! Much appreciated

I started sending out small renewal postcards this past week

The postcard shows your expiration issue on the label.

I know there was some issues (pardon the pun) on the mailing label of the mags, some showed nothing, some showed the issue

This is still all a work in progress.

Yes, the mag is late, has been for so long

Do you want to complain? Or do you want the mag to survive, and grow, and be even gooder than it has been?

It would be so easy just to shut everything down now.

With all that has happened in the past week, I don't think anyone would say anything

But, like I have said many times before, I don't quit

But, with all the bitching and moaning about the mag, being late, etc., it really takes a toll, especially from all the trolls.

Yes, I'm a poet, and no one knows it.

Going from nine issues to six should help, but remember, we are still carrying 5,000 copies to print and mail, with so far, only 485 renewals.

The numbers need to go up

If the mag goes away, I can almost guarantee this forum will become history also, either that, or paywall type of site.

No, I won't go pure digital. Digital is a tool, not a replacement

Print is not dead, far from it. It's just more work.

And, now, it's even more work, and more and more and more.

My goal is 20,000 circulation

Is this unrealistic?

I don't think so

My idol was up to 80K-90K in the middle of his run with his mag.

Can I do the same?

No, but I can try.

Especially with the technology we have today

Yes, I still can't sit up and work like a "normal" person, this response/reply has taken two lay down's, and that's the way it will be for a while, until surgery #8 more likely than not (probably in a few months)

So, we will move forward, get bigger, get gooder, and pay tribute to those who have helped us along the way.

Mahalo nui loa, Harry!!!!

Thanks for the update, Gregg. I look forward to getting the renewal postcard. Thought I was good for another few issues but 203 has not shown up. So maybe I'm expired, maybe it went missing. I'll check the card when it gets here. Hope to see you in Salt Lake. You're not flying United are you? :o

Peter, one thing I haven't done is to get renewals out to over the border/seas friends. (you are good till #208)

We can do the renewal at GSL, I will have card reader and computer with me.

No, I'm a Delta guy, all the way

Although, this flight is Hawaiian, to Portland, and me and Jairus are driving down

Getting a mini van so I can lay down/sleep the whole way

I know, Jairus driving.... could be worse, right????

Edited by Gregg

Don't let the trolls get you down, Gregg!  There are a great many of us here that appreciate all you do with the magazine and this site.  Harry's loss is a tremendous blow, but I for one thank you for staying the course.  The hobby is better for it IMO.