Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Cars Magazine Renewals

Thanks, Guys.

I really appreciate the support and patience

One thing I never really went into before was this:

Golden Bell had a full-time staff to do everything, circulation, billing, invoicing, renewals, mailing of renewals/invoices, back issues, filings (USPS and local), plus all the bookkeeping.

Now, it's just me. So, from what, six, maybe more in the office, to one crip, that's a huge drop in man-power, or menehune power....

Someone brought up in an email that I'm terrible PR/customer service.

Yes, I am.

If you do call me, 80% chance I'm in bed.

If I'm in bed, two things: I'm not at the computer, and second, I won't remember anything that was said.

Emails are best, there are issues sometimes with my replies blocked by certain providers, then I switch to the Yahoo account to reply

But again, for all biz/office/production/circulation/accounting/filing/renewals/dealers/back issues/web, it's just one person

Yes, we should hire someone, but I don't know anyone who would work for free.

I'm not complaining, just being honest with what I'm working with.

I have had some screw ups, all my fault, lost a lot of time, and money, but that's part of this, a learning curve/experience.

I actually love it, the biz side. Yes, I miss building, but I still can't sit up and build, so there's that.

Have faith, Yanagi!!!!!

• 3 months later...

I had sent out renewal postcards a little while ago, but honestly, I don't remember seeing that many, if any, returned. Have any of you received the postcards? They were sent as a postcard, the small size, no envelope, with the info on the back.

I'm curious.

I did see one at GSL, Mike L showed me one he got, but I think that's the only one I have seen.

Let me know!

Mahalo.

Re-new my wrinkly old hairy butt!!!

I want to subscribe!

Get them, (the magazines), when you get them ready. Makes the waiting even more hard! LOL

Tell me how to subscribe

Also, have you tried a You Tube video on your magazine?

Thanks!

.....Have any of you received the postcards?.........

Let me know!

I did not receive a postcard, but I know my current sub expires with #204 (any ETA yet?), and I had renewed for another year early Feb'17 so maybe wasn't sent a card?

I am another of the very many supporters of all Gregg has done, and continues to do, for the magazine and the hobby.. Thank You Gregg :)

Have any of you received the postcards? They were sent as a postcard, the small size, no envelope....

I got this this one yesterday,

6e42fcbbf42fd716bff45776e916cb3c.jpg

At first glance, I thought it was from you Gregg. Then I read the back and realized it was from Auntie Constanziana and Uncle Alberto, it's their 50th anniversary ......

BTW, we usually just call them Connie and Al ....   :lol:

I did not receive a postcard, but I know my current sub expires with #204 (any ETA yet?), and I had renewed for another year early Feb'17 so maybe wasn't sent a card?

I am another of the very many supporters of all Gregg has done, and continues to do, for the magazine and the hobby.. Thank You Gregg :)

Should have been more clear, again, sorry

I sent postcards out to those who expire with Issues 198-202

To US Addresses only

As you know, sending anything over the borders by US Mail is cost-prohibitive

Thanks

• 6 months later...

I think one thing that would be helpful would be to provide a list linked to the MCM main page showing shops that stock the magazine. I've been told that the number of shops carrying the magazine has been reduced. While I haven't subscribed, I've bought almost every issue printed. I seriously think I'm missing three during the entire print run since MCM took over from Plastic Fanatic.

• 3 months later...

Hopefully this magazine will get a handle on subscriber deliveries soon. What with Model Car Builder as a competitor and the fact that Scale Auto now has a new editorial team on board, Model Cars Magazine is now faced with a few near future challenges imposed on it by its current circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...

Pat, I have not had a copy either since the first instalment of extracts from the late Harry P's book Evolution of the Automobile In Scale was starting to be used as fill material in the magazine. They must have removed me from the editorial contributor mailing list at that time. It has never been sold in retail outlets in the UK as far as I know unlike Scale Auto from time to time. Fine Scale Modeler appears to be regularly available off the shelf in the UK. Unfortunately, under current circumstances you will need to decide on whether to renew or not.

I see you live in Buckingham. There is a very active model club I go to not far from you. Milton Keynes Scale Model Club. We meet on the fourth Wednesday evening of each month at the Cranfield University Social Clubhouse. Hope to see you there sometime!

I have a sub with Scale Auto and have done so for 10-15  years, and they are very punctual every two months. WH Smith also sell them in the larger stores but as I'm retired and don't now work in MK I don't see the copies on the shelf alongside all of the other model mags. I was asked to if I wanted to contribute to the Airfix magazine, but as I built only bikes and cars they weren't  particularly interested  as most of the content is military vehicles and planes.

Yes Noel, there is a very active MK Model Club, but it's 20 miles away and my wife swims/gyms/auqafit every tuesday and wednesday, taking some friends who don't drive with her, so I have no way of getting there, as it would mean 3 buses taking 1-1/2 to 2 hours each way!

They have contacted me at times about joining the club and have told me that there are members who either live nearby or come through Buckingham but no one has volunteered to pick me up!

Pat, I will try to find out if anyone in the club comes from or through Buckingham. Maybe it you talk to your wife that you would like to go to our club regularly she might be able to concede one evening a month. She would only be losing one evening out of the nine or ten evenings each month from her regular activities. Not an unreasonable request?

15 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Pat, I will try to find out if anyone in the club comes from or through Buckingham. Maybe it you talk to your wife that you would like to go to our club regularly she might be able to concede one evening a month. She would only be losing one evening out of the nine or ten evenings each month from her regular activities. Not an unreasonable request?

Thanks for the offer but my wife  can't leave one out per month purely as she takes others who can't drive and rural bus services have been cut, plus if the numbers drop where the AVDC pay for a tutor the sessions for everyone will be scrapped. You know how it is, any excuse for cutting services, by councils is very swift, and no amount of complaining and petitions will change the councils minds and attitude towards 'outside' services, it's criminal how cuts affect the public who vote and their voice is ignored! It's called democracy which off course it isn't! When they scrap services a number of council staff need to be cut as well. Why do we pay council tax when all we get is one street light in the street and only our rubbish collected.

Sorry for the rant but Cranfield is just too far away.

OK  Pat, understand your predicament. Will still try to find out if any of our club members is in or comes through Buckingham if this is any help to get over the transport issues if still interested. Seem to remember that one of our guys was coming over from Oxford area some time ago, so would come through Buckingham. I used to pass through regularly when my daughter lived in Oxford, so know the road between Milton Keynes and Buckingham well unless it has drastically changed within last 7 years!