Model Cars Magazine Forum

They shoot horses, don't they?

Hey Surfer, thought you might get a kick out of this. It's kind of the grandfather of both our respective builds. (If you object to me posting it here, I'll be glad to delete it.) 

In 1965, Paul Sable built this A/FX Mustang from an AMT annual 1965 kit. It appeared in the February 1966 Car Model magazine.  I found it on eBay last year and rescued it and restored it. Someday I need to do the full writeup on it and post it Under Glass--the photos are done, I just need to write it up. 

65MustangSable40.jpg.eef830714a84a2feaeac465811b2fef6.jpg

65MustangSable55.jpg.93d21a7d3143cfb202fd7e877d8385e8.jpg

65MustangSable58.jpg.00a86c3295d14bdb162923899670388a.jpg

On 4/21/2020 at 8:45 AM, Snake45 said:

Hey Surfer, thought you might get a kick out of this. It's kind of the grandfather of both our respective builds. (If you object to me posting it here, I'll be glad to delete it.) 

In 1965, Paul Sable built this A/FX Mustang from an AMT annual 1965 kit. It appeared in the February 1966 Car Model magazine.  I found it on eBay last year and rescued it and restored it. Someday I need to do the full writeup on it and post it Under Glass--the photos are done, I just need to write it up. 

That is a very cool rescue. I well remember that Herman's Hermits song, LOL. I was 6 years old at the time. 

Would love to see a writeup, and perhaps some scans of that old article. 

The look, without any flare over the rear wheel opening is not too bad. I'll have to ponder that.

I clipped your photo because I thought this notation at the bottom of the page was on point. ?

65MustangSable55.jpg.93d21a7d3143cfb202fd7e877d8385e8.jpg.fc359110f463038a39ab810063ddcd62.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Rear arches are done, here is a sneak pic.

DSC013821-vi.jpg

Now Ive got to deal with this massive hole in the bonnet ?

DSC01381-vi.jpg

Looking around at my stash, really nothing propper to start with. Maybe this section of Polar Lights Barracuda funny car roof will work. 

DSC01384-vi.jpg

?

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER

Fabulous work on those rear opening flares! I just drove on with mine unadorned. 

As to filling that hole in your hood: Just break down and buy a resin repop Mustang hood. Looking back at how much time and tedious, fiddly effort it took me to do my hood, next time I build one of these things (and I WILL be building more), I'll just buy a resin hood and consider it money WELL spent. 

Mine's ready for its second coat of primer, and then final paint. Been here a week, in fact--I've just been putting it off. Shame on me. 

53 minutes ago, afx said:

Rear wheel opening look much better!

Thanx JC, I've only been able to work on this sporadically, spring time out doors chores.

DSC01386-vi.jpg

I used milliput to form these and have gotten to like the stuff, it does take a while to get used to. and there is a nice window of time to sculpt it, sometimes best when 

it has set and stiffened up a bit.

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Fabulous work on those rear opening flares! I just drove on with mine unadorned. 

As to filling that hole in your hood: Just break down and buy a resin repop Mustang hood. Looking back at how much time and tedious, fiddly effort it took me to do my hood, next time I build one of these things (and I WILL be building more), I'll just buy a resin hood and consider it money WELL spent. 

Mine's ready for its second coat of primer, and then final paint. Been here a week, in fact--I've just been putting it off. Shame on me. 

I have to be frugal these days so may go the FIDDLY route. 

I do have one of these (fairly decent but not perfect) resin teardrop castings. Won't be needing it.

DSC01385-vi.jpg

On 5/16/2020 at 6:34 PM, STYRENE-SURFER said:

Rear arches are done, here is a sneak pic.

DSC013821-vi.jpg

Now Ive got to deal with this massive hole in the bonnet ?

DSC01381-vi.jpg

Looking around at my stash, really nothing propper to start with. Maybe this section of Polar Lights Barracuda funny car roof will work. 

DSC01384-vi.jpg

?

Don't cut up that nice Cuda body! Would you be interested in swapping that "imperfect" teardrop hood for a stock one? I just realized that I'm gonna have to break up one of my '66 HT kits for parts to complete a couple other resto projects. 

That teardrop hood might not be perfect, but it would work GREAT on an original-build "survivor" I just restored. (Better than the two oddball holes in the hood on it now, anyway.) B)

66MustangFBBlack10.jpg.efadd2105fcd1eed815ccd34bc98b9f7.jpg

On 5/22/2020 at 9:44 PM, GoatGuy said:

I just went through this build and loved every bit of it. Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanx GoatGuy...

shure has been a long and winding road hasn't it?

I feel fortunate that some of my favorite modelers here have taken the time

to comment on my work.

Wish I was more motivated on this project and have learned some lessons 

on just how much research and documentation it can take to attempt a

build like this rather obscure "Souza Bro's" car. I should have known better.

well now it's just a vintage fantasy match race car so the pressure is off.

Kurt, if it helps, I have some hood scoops / hood that might fit the bill.  I went through my parts stash and came across some that should help you fix your problem without sacrificing your other kit.   Drop me a PM and provide your address if you're interested.  cheers, tim

Thanx Snake and  Codi

I will try cutting up the Baracuda first and see how that goes.

this first week of June 2020 has made it difficult to work on this.

my brain is tapped out for now. And so is this project for the time being.

I'll be back, you can count on that.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some work done on the Hood. First step, remove Barracuda Funny Car Roof.

P1000541-vi.jpg

Here is the opening that has to be filled. I have cut the cowling off my other AMT Mustang kit and glued to the hood to stretch it.

P1000542-vi.jpg

Had to give it a slight crease down the middle. This actually cracked it a bit but not a big problem. Then it was like making a puzzle piece.

DSC01388-vi.jpg

Here it is mocked up with scotch tape, some careful gluing and tweaking needed, then hopefully it will sand out reasonably without too much filler needed?

DSC01387-vi.jpg

Thats TWO donor bodies for one Mustang ? 

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER

20 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I weep for that poor Barracuda body....:(

Don't cry... Polar Lights kicked out a bunch of them?.

I do like Baracudas But something about this particular Funny Car body is just kinda Meh to me.

Besides it had almost the perfect shape (on the roof) I was looking for. ?

1 hour ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

Don't cry... Polar Lights kicked out a bunch of them?.

I do like Baracudas But something about this particular Funny Car body is just kinda Meh to me.

Besides it had almost the perfect shape (on the roof) I was looking for. ?

I told you, I'd have swapped you a stock flat Mustang hood for that bubbled one you don't like....:unsure:

Just now, Snake45 said:

I told you, I'd have swapped you a stock flat Mustang hood for that bubbled one you don't like....:unsure:

Oh, you prolly know by now, if there is a hard way I'll usually veer that direction.

It's all good fun. If you'd like the resin bubble hood there is one thing I could trade for.

A Revell parts pack 427 front timing cover, the one with the vertical grooves in it.?

47 minutes ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

Oh, you prolly know by now, if there is a hard way I'll usually veer that direction.

It's all good fun. If you'd like the resin bubble hood there is one thing I could trade for.

A Revell parts pack 427 front timing cover, the one with the vertical grooves in it.?

I have one of those but am planning to use it. Be glad to lend it to you if you have the capability to resin-copy, or I could try to sili-clone it for you. 

Oh shoot.

I really need the original styrene part because it will be used for my Blown 427 project

that I have been working on with R&M, hopefully some kind of assemblable kit of parts

for vintage Ford fanatics.

All resin cast parts for that blown Ford 427 build in the back of your head.?

It's weird project and not for the strict 1/25 scale purists.

It's based off the 1/24th Monogram block. A bit bigger yah, but can give certain models

that extra punch ? 

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER

• 2 weeks later...

Working on the bloody hood, It's been a bit of a fight. 

Here we are top sides, looks fair but needs some work.

DSC01391-vi.jpg

Underneath I had to get creative to make it look more like original tin quarter panels.  That is 4 lawyers of blue masking tape that I used as a gap while gluing in the recessed 

bit.   Will need that space for paint thickness and some further details to follow.

The underside of the hood will probably get a lawyer of 1/4 Oz. fiberglass cloth to simulate a glass hood construction.

DSC01389-vi.jpg

This relief part(step?) of the quarter panel did not correctly follow the thickness of the old AMT body so I had to improvise by using multiple (4) pieces of Evergreen.

DSC01390-vi.jpg

That may not make any sense at all, right now my brain is spent. While the glue dries I'll have a cold one.?

• 1 month later...

Another update...

Using this "Jungle Jim" car as inspiration I have built a small tube body reinforcement frame.

IMG_1373.JPG.472b7dc9fb7201b8228dd1549c001130.JPG

These are pic's during the glue up w/things temporarily pinned and Elmer's glue holding the rest while the glue cures. (some BMF in there too as a glue shield).

DSC01392-vi.jpg

DSC01393-vi.jpg

DSC01394-vi.jpg

DSC01395-vi.jpg

Have no idea how these pieces will hold up to being cleaned painted then reassembled LOL. It's going to be a challenge for sure 

?