Model Cars Magazine Forum

They shoot horses, don't they?

Sir You are to be commended for Your thoroughness and stick-to-it-ness on this project

I for one have been amazed by Your ingenuity on crafting the required parts for this built!

And definitely another build that ranks as one of the most finely detailed works on the forum.

I Thank You wholeheartedly for keeping with your work and for sharing it with Us here as well !

Again, Thank You and I look forward to seeing more of this fantastic build

On 8/16/2020 at 8:30 AM, rustybill1960 said:

Again, Thank You and I look forward to seeing more of this fantastic build

Thanks Russell, much appreciated and will keep updating this thread as I go.

I'm nearly over the parts creation hurdle (other than engine specific ones) and

still deciding on just how far to go with some of those. Lots of final prep on the

body and ancillary bits and bobs have to be addressed, then it is time for me

to get the paint/airbrush out. Geez, it's been awhile so will have to practice first?

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER

I saw you managed to punch the holes on the hood and it's harder to do than it looks.  I don't know if you have drilled them by under as you mentioned but I usually take measurement with my digital caliper and drill from the top.  If unfortunately the holes (one of all) don't line up perfectly, I drill a larger one and glue a piece of styrene tubing with the hood in place and sand the piece flush when the glue has set.  It's just another option to save the day when sh... happen!

Great job by the way, the Mustang is heading in the right direction sir!

On 8/18/2020 at 11:39 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

I saw you managed to punch the holes on the hood and it's harder to do than it looks.  I don't know if you have drilled them by under as you mentioned but I usually take measurement with my digital caliper and drill from the top.  If unfortunately the holes (one of all) don't line up perfectly, I drill a larger one and glue a piece of styrene tubing with the hood in place and sand the piece flush when the glue has set.  It's just another option to save the day when sh... happen!

Great job by the way, the Mustang is heading in the right direction sir!

Yes those where drilled from the bottom up. Was lucky to have one long .024" bit for the job.

Curantly glueing up some sub-assemblies where possible for paint and final assembly.

There are some rather important engine pieces to craft, have been putting this off for awhile.

A timing cover w/fuel pump and ignition as well as the exhaust are going to be fun.

On 8/18/2020 at 11:47 AM, iBorg said:

Every time I look at this build, I'm impressed.

Thanx Mike..This is a no deadline project that I only work on one or two times a week.

That does give me time to plan things out or just leave it for a time when it seems frustrating.

It's been fun but has taken my mind off my RC sailboats this summer. None of them have got

wet this year. That's my main hobby but now living in Idaho rather than the Midwest there are

few who share any interest. Sailing alone is not very rewarding.

?

• 1 month later...

Project somewhat stalled do to a new work schedule but chipping away little by little.

Unfortunately the clear parts in this kit are quite poor fitting and extremely thick.

Will have to go about forming new bits using them as a mold using some packaging plastic

and some heat. Never tried this before so hope it goes well. The tail lights on this old kit are

also poorly rendered so they will need to be addressed somehow. 

DSC01411.thumb.jpg.d6870f4f0161587b8a192da4cbe5326b.jpg

DSC01410.thumb.jpg.608f785c9f98f230b14b799c19dd6720.jpg

Thanx everyone for the kind comments.

Got the bucks for the glass parts creation ready for a heat and smash attempt.

The cake container plastic I had sourced for this has a slight pebbly surface so will look around for

something more suitable. (at this point I'm wishing I had a proper vac-forming setup)

DSC01412-vi.jpg

Set on top of .040" styrene sheet w/milliput backing.

DSC01414-vi.jpg

Polished w/Wright's and ready for the first tests? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/23/2020 at 5:48 AM, Mattilacken said:

Went trough the whole thread! Great work replicating that racer! Never heard of It before and it’s way before my time! Great details you put in to it! 

Thanks Anton.

Ive been so busy with work lately so haven't had the time to work on this build. 

I have tried several times to form the front and rear glass with many fails😂

Some were close to acceptable but most of the packaging plastic I sourced from food

containers etc. had blemishes, scratches.

Was in an fabric store the other day and saw some acetate sheets marketed for Cricut machines.

These are 0.2mm thick or 0.0085 in. (perhaps too thin?). Nice thing is they have a protective film

on both sides so they are scratch, blemish free.😊

DSC01417-vi.jpg

I did a quick test today using it, cut them close to size and taped them in the model

Other than some dust landing on the bucks while I was working they turned out pretty good.

DSC01420-vi.jpg

DSC01419-vi.jpg