Model Cars Magazine Forum

They shoot horses, don't they?

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

My first thought was Duck Tape. Then I thought, maybe go to a fabric store and wander around. Maybe some kind of thin, tightly woven nylon that you could soak in thinned white glue and mold into shape? 

Good idea Snake, Ive got a Joanne Fabrics store nearby, will have a look around. 

Another thought is to use a trick from the armour modellers and use kleenex tissue, cut to size and slightly soaked in a white glue and water mixture to drape over the piece. You can form it around the tranny to fit and pinch in the belt areas with thread (maybe fit belts made from masking tape now as well). Let it dry to a hard finish, usually a day. Plus it's easy to do another one if the first one is a flub.

Cheers Misha

26 minutes ago, Misha said:

Plus it's easy to do another one if the first one is a flub.

Misha, Those also are great ideas. Ive made many flubs while working on this project and gone back and remade parts two or three times.:D

Oh, and also that it completely changed gears if you look at how this project began. :huh: 

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER

Started working on the motor mount, will be attached to the motor until final assembly. 

In order to make something in scale-ish dimensions I had to try to figure out a way to make

it strong enough.

Evergreen .060 (1.5 mm) Channel sandwiched around .036 Carbon Fiber rod fits together perfectly and

is robust for the task. Going to glue two more pieces to two sides to create a scale 2.5" x 2" or so , rectangular dimension.

Not very exciting, but all I have had time for today. :P

motormount-vi.jpg 

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER

• 1 month later...

Recently found on the internet, this photo from James Handy photography (check out his website for lots of vintage drag cars)this pic pretty much confirms the color

the car was painted.    https://jameshandyphotography.zenfolio.com/p640330804  ( go to pic#69-144 )

Unfortunately all my models and hobby supplies/equipment are being boxed up for a move into a TINY house (downsizing)just waiting for the owner to get a job transfer.

It will be awhile before I can get back to this project.

Here is a link to James Handy Photography,http://jameshandyphotography.com

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER

• 2 months later...

I hope to get back on this build, currently my hobby stuff is all boxed up waiting for the purchase of a new home.

Long story...should have happened months ago. Some times you just have to be patient, housing market is crazy

here right now. So... Got my fingers double crossed that this deal works out. If it does I will have a really nice space

to work in.:P

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

now in my new home and model building room mostly set up, couldn't wait to get back into this build.

Had to make some shock absorbers and mounting points for them. 

Cross-members are all done and are just tacked in for mock-up.

Think they will have to be glued in after paint to make things easier.

Shocks were very fiddly, glad to have that done. 

Can now move on, still plenty to do.

DSC01286-vi.jpg

DSC01284-vi.jpg

DSC01285-vi.jpg

DSC01281-vi.jpg

DSC01283-vi.jpg

Oh, to all of you who have responded to this thread.

I want to thank you for not only your input and perseverance for a really drawn out build.

But mostly for being part of this Forum.:D

Funny thing is I don't Know much about the details of these old school drag cars.

Actually building this has been a fun sort of learning experience.

Lots of research and discoverys of yet new ideas for things to build (never ending list).

thanx all.

Today, had to sleep in after watching the F1 qualifying. Oh come on Red team!!! LOL :wacko:

Anyway flipped her over to start up on the roll cage. This is just preliminary mock-up using soft wire.

Pics I have seem to show that it was quite simple and mostly centered over the driver. So offset to

the Left. These pieces of wire (shapes) will have to be carefully transferred to paper and then further

refined. Don't have to tell you all how tedious this is cause I'm sure you all know already.:P

DSC01287-vi.jpg

DSC01288-vi.jpg

More work on the roll-cage, (for those of you who know, the Microwave Experiment was kinda a bust. LOL)

Made some holes (recesses) into the tub for the roll-cage to mount into.

The Right side bars have to center over the frame-rails below. Left side are nearer the door opening.

Made a fixture for locating the holes over the right side frame-rails ,left side corners, and a simple depth guide so I didn't 

punch through too far. ( 0.040 thick Evergreen sheet and a length of 0.125 tubing to set the depth)

DSC01302-vi.jpg

Here are all the location holes (cage mounting points are offset to the left on this car).

DSC01300-vi.jpg

Added this bar to the Hoop, attached to it will be a headrest and harnesses.

DSC01303-vi.jpg

Does anyone Know what year rules added forward roll-cage bars? I mean ahead of the roll hoop. ( I'm guessing '68)

Reason I ask is the photos I've collected for this car show at least five different evolutions, most not dated.

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER
Spelin

13 minutes ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

Dose anyone Know what year rules added forward roll-cage bars? I mean ahead of the roll hoop. ( I'm guessing '68)

There's a link at the top of the page to NHRA rulebooks of the years in question. They might be able to answer your question. Besides the class rules, check out the general tech and safety rules at the back of the books. 

I'm not sure that this car would have been built to any particular NHRA class rules, though. Many of these thing of that era weren't. 

10 hours ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

Not one of the pictures I have found have any class designation on the car, kinda strange.

Not strange at all. Many of these things ran mainly match races or local "circuits" and the main "classes" were based on weight, fuel, and induction (blown or not). If this car, with its heavily altered wheelbase, ever ran NHRA, it would have probably been slotted into an Altered class.