Model Cars Magazine Forum

They shoot horses, don't they?

On 9/17/2019 at 9:06 AM, drag racer 15 said:

6-71 and 8-71 blowers are the same width. the pictures are a       6-71 blower because it has 3 ribs on the side of the case. correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think 8-71 blowers where around in the mid sixties because those style of blowers where from GMC Diesel trucks and as far as I know there was only a 4-71 and a 6-71 hope this can help

Noah, Thanx. Didn't know the history of the 8-71. Found this Spotters Guide for Superchargers.

IMG_1262-vi.jpg

I spent some time looking through the long(and interesting) thread on the H.A.M.B. simply called "THE INDUCTION THREAD'.

Found these pics that swerve in the direction of what I will try to create. 

IMG_1261-vi.jpg

IMG_1260-vi.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-induction-thread.1042950/

On 9/17/2019 at 10:06 AM, drag racer 15 said:

6-71 and 8-71 blowers are the same width. the pictures are a       6-71 blower because it has 3 ribs on the side of the case. correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think 8-71 blowers where around in the mid sixties because those style of blowers where from GMC Diesel trucks and as far as I know there was only a 4-71 and a 6-71 hope this can help I really like your work 

I actually worked at Detroit Diesel Allison (now Allison Transmission and Detroit Diesel) from 1980 until my retirement.  My first job was support of the "blower line".  The nomenclature for the blowers aligns with the Diesel engines they were used on.  A 4-71 Blower was used on a 4 cylinder 71 cubic inches/cylinder Detroit Diesel engine.  A 6-71 was a 6 cylinder with the same cubic inches/cylinder and so on.  While the 8-71 engine was available in the late 60's, the blowers were not available outside of the dealer network until the mid 70's.  BTW...one of the blowers I supported was a 16-149.  Yep...16 cylinders, 149 ci/cylinder!  Cylinder bores were bigger than most men's leg.

40 minutes ago, sflam123 said:

I actually worked at Detroit Diesel Allison (now Allison Transmission and Detroit Diesel) from 1980 until my retirement.  My first job was support of the "blower line".  The nomenclature for the blowers aligns with the Diesel engines they were used on.  A 4-71 Blower was used on a 4 cylinder 71 cubic inches/cylinder Detroit Diesel engine.  A 6-71 was a 6 cylinder with the same cubic inches/cylinder and so on.  While the 8-71 engine was available in the late 60's, the blowers were not available outside of the dealer network until the mid 70's.  BTW...one of the blowers I supported was a 16-149.  Yep...16 cylinders, 149 ci/cylinder!  Cylinder bores were bigger than most men's leg.

That’s really interesting because I’ve read  multiple drag racing magazine articles about the origins of the roots blowers and all of them said it was a random number picked for no reason but I guess there is a reason

what is the difference between  a 16-149 and a 16-71? The magazine articles I read said that there was only a #-71 no #-149  I guess there is only a #-71 in drag racing but other sizes exist

4 hours ago, drag racer 15 said:

That’s really interesting because I’ve read  multiple drag racing magazine articles about the origins of the roots blowers and all of them said it was a random number picked for no reason but I guess there is a reason

what is the difference between  a 16-149 and a 16-71? The magazine articles I read said that there was only a #-71 no #-149  I guess there is only a #-71 in drag racing but other sizes exist

Probably to the drag racers with only access to the GM parts, they probably would never be able to find the information I learned  working for Detroit Diesel Allison/Allison Transmission.  Detroit Diesel was separated from GM in the 80's, and a lot of the history before that did not transfer, it remained with Allison Transmission which remained GM.  In actuality, there were 4 series of Detroit Diesel engines:  the -53, the-71, the -92 and the -149. In each case the -xx designates the cubic inch displacement of the individual cylinder.  A 4, 6, 8, 12, or 16 in front of the -xx indicates the number of cylinders of the engine.   

Basically, a 16-71 blower has a smaller case and rotors than a 16-149.  You had to pump a LOT of air into those 149 engines!!

Thanx All for interesting information.

Did some work on this manifold.

I ended up removing the shims I added under it because it didn't look right.(going by photographs)

Will add that amount to the where it meets the top of the heads. turns out to be almost .030

A sneak pick,  That is a piece of styrene as a guide (the big one) it was tacked on and is .030 smaller on each side LEFT,RIGHT.

than the width of the supercharger (.487) .030 pieces where shaped and added between the manifold runners.

It will all get sanded down level with the top of the manifold next. 

After that I will need to need to add some hight to the runners, Front/Back, then add a piece (probably .060) on top of for the

Blower to sit on.

DSC01320-vi.jpg

Some work on this,  made a platform for the supercharger to sit on. 

Tacked it on the manifold and started adding more detail.

Have corrected the shape of the coolant connection, that was usually blocked off anyway.

Oh, these are tiny parts (that need a bit of fine tuning before they get glued on).

I use allot of Scotch, Removable Double Sided Tape to help hold these bits down to a marble slab and sand them to shape

(the edges) with a square piece of styrene w/sandpaper glued to one side.

Perhaps that explanation is poor.

Here ya go.

DSC01324-vi.jpg

DSC01323-vi.jpg

?

6 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Taking notes! ✏️

6 hours ago, Deuces said:

Man, I'm lovin' this stuff..... ??

Hey, thank you both.

I try to take pictures that show things I'm doing, but sometimes forget to show steps.

I mocked up how that bit of the manifold was notched out again.

Like I said, I use lots of Scotch double sided tape. (ever have a small part to try to hang onto to sand flat? Stick a piece of it on it or your finger)

I have some slabs of .25 x 1.5" aluminum from a hardware store that were cut to length and cleaned up (deburred) .

Stuck them down to my granite slab using that tape, with the spacing I was trying to achieve.

then with more tape I used some large sticks of evergreen, again taped down with the double sided tape to hold the part from  shifting around.

Being careful to hold the tools I used (Saw, File, sanding blocks) Perpendicular to the work piece

using the Aluminum bars as a guide. (sometimes removing the part from the fixture to chisel out bits and check with my micrometer).

DSC01328-vi.jpg

Just realized you can't see it in that pic, but the bars are overhanging my granite slab ?

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER

A bit more work on it today. nearly over the Finnish line.

It is not an exact copy of any one of those posted here, some things where dictated by the part I started out with.

What I am trying to get to is close to the one with the Ford script on it. (I think that version is one of the earliest)

Still have a few pieces to add. (Oh, I think I'll have to use some filler not much. ARGGGH)

Let me know what you think, it's ok to be critical. 

DSC01330-vi.jpg

DSC01331-vi.jpg

?

Here is how it looks with the "Miss-Deal" blower on top. However, may use a combination of the "K.S. Pittman" blower body and front "Miss-Deal" cover.

Still have to add some pieces, the bitt at the front where the distributer would attach and some thin strips where the manifold meets the top of the heads.

Oh, don't ask me about the weird transmission attachment. I had to source that C-6 from the Moebius Ranger kit and it scaled out to long. Had to shorten

it so hence the strange look. I'm hoping it will not be visible when finished LOL.

DSC01332-vi.jpg

DSC01333-vi.jpg

?

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of imagination to bring that manifold to life Kurt.  Like seeing the process.  For the Ford script, are you going to try to replicate that too?  It would be very cool if you could pull that off somehow too.  cheers, tim