Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Dennis, John, Dave, Art & Dave Jr.,  glad that you like where I"m at so far.  I did work on a removable parachute bar as well, just have to get the tabs on the chassis to secure it yet.  I'm still contemplating adding wheelie bars to it.........in my research on altereds during the mid 70's, at least half of the cars didn't bother running them.  I found that kind of interesting as I assumed they all used them around that time.  Not so.   Dave (comp1839) looking forward to Friday's get together should be an interesting factory visit!   cheers ALL!!!  

btw, the dip you see in the connecting support bar is to clear the bottom of the rear end as an fyi. 

image.jpeg.2d539bac83ecc231b5d553835f9922a2.jpeg

The tube is 1.0mm brass with .8mm bracing between the pieces.  I drilled .5mm holes on each side to secure it to the chassis tabs/brackets. image.thumb.jpeg.d1177449c1915c1c61f18f5c698d5451.jpeg

image.jpeg.1dec1cb423563723ac9896d0ab45dd19.jpeg

Tim... outstanding work my friend. All of these little details keep adding up making thiamine incredible build. Simply amazing my friend. Hey do you have a wrench for your .5mm/.6 mm/.8mm bolts by chance?? I have been thinking about trying to make some and even for giggle maybe 3D printing some. I need a better at than just trying to use tweezers. 

Hi Chris, thanks and regarding the micro wrenches for the tiny bolts, when ScaleHardware was still in business he sold those super small hex wrenches from 1.0 down to .6.  I'm glad I bought them when I did.  On the important .5mm sizes that I use a lot of I had to make my own.  I tried putting R.B. Motion socket type hardware on the end of 1/16" rods but the alum. was too soft.  I took brass stock and drill out the centers and cross cut them for a poor rendition of a wrench.  They do work though.  I also found some micro sized pin vices that will grip rather well the heads and turn them but because of their overall head size, I'm limited to where I can get to on a build with them. Your idea of 3D printed ones is a great one and I'd buy a bunch of them if you ever did make them.  My only concern would be how durable them would be due to the materials.   Hope that helps a bit. 

John, yeah I was thinking the same thing of your build when I saw the Berlin Buick.  What the heck can you come up with next?   Can't wait to see it whatever you choose.  

Brad, thanks so much for THOSE positive words.  You have to admit though that it's going to be time to get on with this one so I can move onto the next build.  I'm more than ready now!

Dave & Mike, thanks too guys.  Obviously I'm getting a bit bogged down in some details right now but every part that comes up next it seems that I just do what I've been doing and it's taking a LONG time.  Appreciate your interest in the car after all this time.

Randy, thanks sir. Always nice to hear from you.  I'll give you a call soon to touch base, it's been a while since we spoke.   cheers

Dave(comp) Yeah, I'm looking forward to that as well. I've never been to a manufacturing place such as that one so it will be fun & educational.  Bring your wallet, those puppies are expensive.   I'll buy lunch. :)

Cheers to one and all!

Edited by Codi

Tim... thank you for the reply, it's much appreciated. You know I now regret not ordering all of the tools from Scale Hardware way back when he had wrenches for the .5mm bolts. I did talk to Bob back in the day and I know he had trouble with those turning out ok and I believe stopped making/carrying them because if that. So that made me think drawing one up and seeing if it will 3D print. I will also see if it can be printed in any metal materials as well. I am also thinking of asking one of my coworkers how small he can EDM parts with a sinker EDM and see if he could maybe EDM me a couple of parts. I will keep you posted. Keep up the great work on this awesome build.

Ahhhhh, waiting on the Superbowl to start.......

Chris, thanks for the reply and please let me know your progress on those wrenches.  I'd buy em' in a heartbeat.  

Dave (Goatguy) appreciated man, just gotta get some free time in the future to get together.  Like the build you're currently working on btw.  

Thank you Brad, don't know about a "tour" but a few shows will be on the calendar.   I'll be sure to provide a heads-up and it would be fun to meet you finally.   I just won't be traveling west of the Mississippi though.  

Bob, and?????????     otherwise known as hijacking a thread.  I won't mind if you delete your post.  

Cheers, Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Brian & Joseph for the kind comments and for following my progress on it.  

Chutes done. The bracket is a combination of MCG hood hinges and some s/steel tubing.  I'll secure the parachute base to the rear deck / spare tire spot.  Firewall is finally on deck.  cheers, tim

image.jpeg.22d1a0cb56720ae7a4341bd1f50a9901.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e5de6d2a4c94da5d911e639008743f49.jpeg

image.jpeg.b9c1fcdc0448c731dadae2758d78907f.jpeg

John, Dave & Brad, appreciated as always.  I've just gotta get some more meaningful bench time soon so I can show some real progress and get her done.  Thanks again!

Chris, thanks.......chute material, I use a roll of Johnson & Johnson surgical tape that I bought at Rite-Aid a few years ago. It's a fairly lightweight tape that stretches minimally while flattening and sticking on the corners.  I love working with it.  Stuff is still tacky and stays in place with little or no fraying when I cut it.  No part number on the roll unfortunately.  It only said "Made in Brazil"in red on the inside of the roll and it's 1" wide.  The overall roll was a bit more than 2" when I bought it btw.  After I put it down and have it in position, I swab the entire chute lightly  with some Zap A Gap Thin glue (the pink bottle) over it just to be sure it's secured.  No primer, just Testors flat black over it & done.  Sorry I couldn't give you a particular part number........btw, I read the post on the Vega.   EXCELLENT and I'll be watching for it.   cheers, tim

Edited by Codi