Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Thank you everybody..........a few comments -

Clay is kidding btw, we've all seen his soldering capabilities and he's second to none.  

Dave, appreciated, fairly accurate but stupidly time consuming.   How's the hot rod coming along btw?

Pete, you're correct about the soldering tool I'm using.  Between my mini torch for flame soldering and the experience I've gotten using my resistance unit I am getting much better results compared to my Henry build. I can set the correct amount of current where I need it and even down to tiny parts like this.  Took me quite a while to learn how to use it properly but I wouldn't go back at this point.  cheers,  tim

Hi Tim, I've been watching on email every step of the way, but after seeing this, I had to drop in. Those brackets are a new level of lunacy, and I'm loving it! There's always a lesson in there somewhere. So inspiring! I'm looking forward to more, for sure.

-Art

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic pic of your car Dave, please tell me you left 2 very long black streaks on the way out..........

Hey Art, been a while and I know you're busy but hope you find some time to post some updates on what you've been building of late.  Always enjoy your work too.

Scott & Dave,  yeah, wish it was mine and what's really amazing is all of the custom fabrication that Dave did on his car from the engine and throughout.  The man has some serious skills. 

For the record, I hate body brackets, interior tins etc.  I was expecting to have all of this done a week or so ago.  I've still got several days yet to wrap it up and finally onto paint. The first pics are of an aluminum tin for the underside that is form fitting to the body.  When the other brackets/tabs are installed it should be a pretty clean look and functional.  The next few pics are of the front body support and how it rests on the chassis.  Cheers fellas! 

image.png.dc5eb3cd5f5c3c9ec270c204853c280b.png

image.png.ce2bd8444d467387416048c0046ebf5f.png

image.png.283bf1c1b596fca15a2320319ad343b9.png

image.thumb.png.4e7371dda4fbddb3351af5dc43207ad5.png

image.png

Hey John,  thanks for the comment.  All is well just slow to get this done.  It's hard to tell by looking at my pics but the tolerances are down to 1/64" in too many instances but I'm confident that final assembly will be okay by and large.   1/25th is a challenge that way as you know.  I couldn't imagine building like those that do 1/32 or even 1/43rd.  

Brad, not at this time, I've thrown the calendar out on this one and I'm just slogging through it to get it done without compromising at this point.  Today I made some additional supports / brackets for inside the body and a quick mock-up put a smile on my face as I think it'll look pretty sharp upon final assembly.  Appreciate your interest still in the car.  I've been spending too much time researching and pondering the pro mod which helps to motivate when I need a mental break from the bantam.    What have you been working on as of late btw?    cheers! 

Tim... What an outstanding update my friend. That tin work is gorgeous and I know all too well how much of a pain it can be to do. And to keep tolerance with in .015", I have to give you many kudos to that. Your work has to be some of the post precise I have seen and I just love this build. I still really want to see what you can do to a 1/16th scale build ;).  Not sure how many more things you have left to fabricate but i am guessing you have to be darn close to having it all done. Looking forward to seeing some paint on it but I sure hate to see all that beautiful brass work covered up. Looking forward to your next update

• 2 weeks later...

I found this thread about a year ago and could not believe the level of detail you created with machined brass and solder.  Especially in 1/25 scale.  Absolutely outstanding work.  I think it will look great when finally finished, but the fun for me is in all the craftsmanship you have displayed for us. 

Thank you fellas...........and for all of you that celebrate the day........HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!   I spent part of mine on the bench today finishing up the belts.  Earlier last week I experimented some more with the Caswell copy chrome plating and found a way that will work for the axle and other teeny brass parts.  I took an earlier spare axle and wrapped it with copper wire and dipped it. Few minutes later I called it done and was pleased with it.  Should work out well on all the upcoming plating that I'll do for the car.  Along the way I did decanted some Tamiya primer and shot it through my airbrush.  Couldn't be happier in that there was ZERO bleed through of my earlier bondo/body work. this time. It's ready for final primer and paint top side. I'll primer the under body and paint it flat black before doing so.  Lastly, as noted I wrapped up the 5 point belts.  They're a bright red that didn't show too well in my photos.  I'm going to try to nickel plate the seat and if it turns out then they should contrast really well.  Next up is cleaning upu the chassis and then primer and paint. btw, the PE belt hardware was from Futurattraction.   Cheers everyone!  Tim

My Caswell Chrome experiment

image.png.c43ff9602bbe7793e08f5ec90bffde2f.png

Primered body

image.png.bd6217419a28f3a23691e52f91ec470a.png

image.png.3f8ed36403a00a6553ce995903e67020.png

Finally, the belts..........these took me an entire week to complete as an fyi.........Teresi would have started AND finished an entire car in that amount of time....;)  Just have to add the Simpson decals.  I did find a piece of leather at Hobby Lobby that I skived to get it suitably thin for the waist belt also.

image.thumb.png.94609106aa30dad5caf5a81022d2568e.png

image.png.ddc6c8d312b89dbb72f11742d4e1efad.png

image.thumb.png.8b18492ca1e6d1c1f567f299ab30e9a6.png

Tim... Gorgeous work my friend. It sure looks like you have the Casewell Plating down for sure. I have been struggling with mine and haven't had any thing good come from what I have tired. I do have to ask if this Copy Chrome is easier to use than the Nickle Silver?  The Belts and Body look great. Love the progress you are making on this.

Thanks so much Dave & Chris............btw Chris, I pulled a bonehead on the belts and I'm re-doing them.  I just didn't like how unrealistic they looked on the seat, they just wouldn't lay down properly because of the material I chose...............soooooo, I looked at YOUR belts on YOUR Vega funny and saw you used medical tape to get the right look and drape.  I pulled out my medical tape and "colored" it with a red sharpie and presto-change-o, a properly looking belt.  Yes, I'm re-doing them as we speak.  Should have checked your thread in the first place or at least given ya' a call.   Gotta go, those belts aren't going to re-do themselves.   cheers

• 1 month later...

Thank you Wayne....since I can't paint I thought I'd move onto the wheels.  Was giving some thought to doing the rear wheels with a gold color inset but after polishing these up and putting the spare body on it, I've decided to go with this look.  I was fortunate as I only had to chuck them up in the lathe and put some Maguiars mag polish on them.  As soon as the weather breaks I'll finish up the wheels and tires too.   The pics are kind of dark as the light was reflecting off the wheels so much I couldn't get a good pic otherwise.   A good thing though.  Cheers!

image.png.57eefea7ac64c932ede86b889f8ae477.png

image.png.756b80a7f9dddc034cfad192b2d5e155.png

Can't help you on that score Dave.......thanks too for the help way back when in showing me how to go about machining them in the first place and you're oh so right that that style wheel would just make your 37' Chevy just that wee bit better..............if that's possible.

Chris, thanks man, I can't wait either........the whole summer has flown by and I'm so far off schedule.  Back to school is coming though !!   

John, also appreciated.......I saw the weather in Cali is crazy hot right now........you must be on a painting binge unless it's too hot, which I know is possible. All else is well here, thanks for asking it's just the kids are keeping me busy and bench time is hard to come by it seems.   Cheers guys!! 

Edited by Codi

• 3 weeks later...

Gold base is done. I'll get the chassis done this week, just a few more tabs to add, then finish body itself in Kandy Red.  I want to take a second and thank John Teresi for his insights on how he lays down such beautiful paint jobs. His tips have proven helpful and I'm sure they'll help me to get a decent final product.  cheers

image.thumb.png.60b02dd6c2dd3c2870e772e02e6a49c5.png

image.thumb.png.061e55b6b67a874b6d0db30ab56cfbb7.png

image.thumb.png.ee14715a234b75f31e0caa61fc3da6e6.png

image.thumb.png.c32d48ec6c1ad43701edeacc3d68dcda.png