Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Tim... You continue to move that bar higher and higher for all of us. That Clutch can shroud is a work of art. I so can't wait to see some paint on this. While I hate to see you cover up all of this Brass Goodness, But it will bring the whole build together. What you have accomplished with this build it blows my mind and Blows the Funny Car out of the water. This build is going to take home so many awards,  The craftsmanship on this  just amazing. It still amazes me  that this is 1/25th scale and how much smaller everything is on this build that you had to do.  My Hats off to you my friend. Cheers!!

Tim..........as always some fantastic craftsmanship!  You have a true talent for working with some small metal pieces that most of us cant even pick up....and yet you still manage to make something out of them!

Edited by Davewilly

Bruce, thanks for the chuckle......I worked on concrete as a young kid and knew the diff between a trowel and float.  Too funny that I got that one wrong but I had a lot of positive memories from your post.

Chris, appreciated sir. Not sure I had any idea how long all of this would take me.  I just spent the better part of yesterday working just on the floor tin........it was a beautiful piece of epic failure.  I know what to do now to get it right but gee whiz,  I thought I knew better.......I'll get it right eventually and  move closer to wrapping her up.  What's up next for you???    Miss your builds and insights!

Thanks Dave.........like I mentioned above, I"m ever so slowly getting there to completion.  Kind of motivating to see the end in sight though.

Eric,  always nice to see you pop in and check it out.  Glad you're still following along and like what you see.  I told Clay K. that I WILL have it at next years NNL East for exhibit finally.  Hope you can make it therre as I admire your work too.

Clay K. - Thanks man. Congratulations on your NNL East awards btw.  Heckuva an accomplishment but truly deserved.  For those that haven't seen or followed the build, you should drop by Clay's fotki page and look at the detail of his Nascar build that rocked NNL.  I studied the pics and came across so many different details I've never considered before that are truly inspiring.  Always admired the mans work and this particular build was no exception.

Cheers, fellas! 

Tim... Beautiful Tin work my friend!! The piece looks stunning. It would of taken me probably at least 6 times to get it right... haha :lol:. This is just an incredible build. You have to be super close to having all of the fabrication work done on this. Makes me wonder what your next Drag build will be after this Epic one :D

Hi Brad & Chris, the tins are completed now and I'm satisfied with them. Still have to drill them and locate & secure the dzus tabs to the chassis (they'll be devcon super glued on btw).  Some odds and ends to clean up on the under body supports but it was a productive week all in all.  As for what's next Chris, I'm hoping to get back and finish the replacement Pro Mod for the Henry J.  I have too many parts (reminders) around the room to ignore it.........would rather do a "quick / fun" build but that will never happen as we both know.  :)

John, thanks man............really looking forward to your next update on that Caddy btw.  Hurry please cause I wanna see your paint on that one. 

Dave,  I'm just about out of cards........but everyone has always accused me of playing with half a deck anyhow.  Couple weeks let's get together hopefully.  Car's up and running again right?  I want that ride you promised and it's always great to get caught up with what's been going on. 

Last but not least, thank you Pete.  It was a struggle on this one for a couple of months but the build seems to be back on track for me.  I've got to hurry a bit now to get back to a reasonable schedule as our "paint season" is almost upon us.   

I had to make a brass cover for the cut out in the floor tin that was made to clear the bellhousing.  3 different parts soldered together to make it and 2+ hours of time.  ugh. The group photos of the various body tins & firewall are to help me during final assembly.  Cheers everyone.

image.thumb.png.0a2e02feb4caa3042a34ded5b03b23cf.png

image.thumb.png.b4c58ae6bd2e2861f693d194ed06feb2.png

image.png.b42874580c4ccbb562275a4eefbaef8a.png

Tim... That is some pure Art work and Gorgeous pieces of work. That is cool you are going to do a replacement Pro Mod. I know what you mean about doing something simple. I am trying to force myself with an out of the box build. I know I have a small list left to do on the funny car as well as I am already designing another Drag build ;)

Chris, whatever you're doing next, I'll be sure to follow no matter what.  

Dave, thanks too.............I don't know about inspiring at this point but its getting near completion which I'm looking forward to.  Thanks too for checking it out. 

Today I wanted to try my hand at making some bead rolled inner fender tins. The pics are lousy but sometimes when shooting alum. I get flash/exposure issues.  1/2 day to get a reasonable pair completed and now I have to figure out how I want to mount them.  They should complement the chassis when its finally done as my plan is to mount them to the chassis.  cheers, tim

image.thumb.png.176017f67a1ecbb033ef45aa37b1157e.png

image.png.599df187f02ea821cc3c254ffe727533.png

image.thumb.png.5616e5937c21cc258e8d790a34fe3409.png

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Brad........as you know I have tons of pics and there will be a build-book when I get it done. 

Spent far too much time trying to figure out how to make the brackets that tie in the interior support tubes.  The brackets and tabs are brass ones from dirtmodeler and the rod ends are RB Motion. HOW to solder them together was the time consuming part.  3rd solution worked and made 12 of them.  Few more support panels to make for the inside and this step will finally be done.  The plan is to take complete photos of all the bits and pieces I've been making the last 2 years and then compile the final assembly order. Paint the chassis, plate parts and begin. I have some new paint on the way from a new resource that I'm anxious to try out for the body.  More on that in the coming weeks.  cheers, tim

Lots of bits and pieces to make the dozen brackets needed.

image.png.e5a75136459c3cdd6887f186c7d33758.png

Kind of an assembly line to "tin" the tabs with tix silver solder.......which I did with a torch

image.png.b727e7f6f0dd92f3d6c278ffbc9ae771.png

I assembled the tabs to the rod end with a .5mm bolt/nut.  Then I held it with a piece of s/steel tube as you can see here......held it in place on the tab and applied heat with my resistance soldering wand.

Each bracket is about 4mm square as a reference.

image.png.fdb84e65ec9498d26ae2c9b577f4942b.png

image.png.38eae1cb1079b96c8083ce4d0456ae36.png

Tim.... And I thought I was nuts... :lol: Holy Smokies that is some Sweet work. Wow.... I can't believe how tiny those are, They are a little bigger than an 1/8". You are one mighty fine craftsman, Seeing what you are doing with pieces ever so small makes me wonder if I need to hang things up... :lol: In all seriousness, I love the work and can't wait to see the next detail you Blow us away with.