Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Tim... That is so Impressive what you got there with the block. Even if it is a Prototype..... I know for a fact that you will kill it with Aluminum. I seriously need to start saving my pennies... lol. I am already wanting to see what you will be showing us next seeing what you have here. The only Donovan's I know of is the 1/16th scale ones from Aurora.

Soldering this thing up has not been fun. I only have the "spines" and rear cover to put on yet, and then plating time.  I've been on this for more than 3 weeks now and I'm more than ready to move on from it.  At least 70 hours in it when all said and done. cheers, tim

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG REAR END PART 8 046

As mentioned above, the rear cover has not been soldered on yet.

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG REAR END PART 8 065

Here we go with the giant Penny thing again!!!!!! You must of gotten that from John!!!!!!!!

All I gotta say Tim, is you are a Mad Mad Man!!!!!!!! KrAzIe detail!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Kerry.  Today I machined front the lip to the engine girdle and soldered it up. I used Caswells copper plate and then nickel on it.  The last pic is of the Henry steering box that was finally nickel plated.  As an fyi for Chris, these parts were dipped, not wand plated and doing the copper plate first and then the nickel seemed to give better results.  Next I'll get to plating the rear finally.   cheers

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG PLATED BLOCK GIRDLE 025

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG PLATED BLOCK GIRDLE 070

This is the pic of the steering box and you can clearly see the lip that I added at the front of the girdle. 

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG PLATED BLOCK GIRDLE 079

Tim.... incredible job on the girdle. it's looks great. Thank you for tip on the Caswell plating.  I am going to have to try that dipped process. I will PM you when I get home to ask another question on the process. Keep up the great work.

I was on a roll with the plating.  As Chris has discovered, it can be "hit or miss" with the Caswell system.  The more experience I get at it, the more frequently I get it right.....shocking, right?   Anyways, I plated the rear today but first I used their "acid copper" before putting on the nickel.  It plated VERY quickly.  When applying the nickel, or any of the solutions I believe, you have to very aware of certain parameters or you start to get "shmutz" on the finish. It doesn't polish out from my experience.  So when doing this, less is more and it's better to err on the side of just enough, than my typical attitude of "if a little is good, a lots gotta be better".   I'll add the bolts to it and the pinion collar.  I'm just glad the plating went well because having to remove it and starting over isn't fun.  cheers

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG PLATED REAR 025

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG PLATED REAR 063

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG PLATED REAR 080

That is as impressive as the big meteor that graced our skys yesterday just before 4am...and it was just as bright as that QC!

I see yo have members of the blue man group as your helpers!   ( I guess its cause John has taken all the Minion's!)

Seriously though  beautiful work  and its going to be even better with all the bolts added on.

Exceptional piece of plating Tim, very impressive. Looks like in order to get results anywhere close to this, I'll need more experimentation with the Caswell system.

Can you hook up a GoPro on your shoulder and relay the imagery right to my computer? 

Tim.... WOW.... I am so impressed by this rear end and at how great the plating turned out on it. Man does it look every so nice :wub:. I think I am going to have to break out my Caswell plating kit and play with it some. Just hope I can get some results as good as you, since my first attempts were not very productive....lol. This model is sure going to be a beauty. I look forward to the next part of this build.

Tim... Fantastic work!! That looks top notch. I love the contrast between the plated assembly and the Aluminum ring where the drive line coupling will be. That looks great. Now this is only a suggestion I am wondering if you were to take a black wash just to the areas of the bolts to give a slight contrast and make the bolts pop even more. Hopefully you understand where I am coming from. It would just be at the head of the bolt and the body using a really thin black wash to get it in the little crack between the bolt head and the body of the part.