Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Tim, I talked about the penny because I am a casual coin collector as well as model maker and a '55 plain is worth a couple of dollars.  Not much but certainly more that $.01.  Just a bit of humor!

Hmm, might have to locate my penny books and see if I have a 55 plain. I'm betting I do. I go back before the steel pennies. I even have one of those! (although there were 2 years I believe of steel pennies.)

Back on subject. LOL. There's not much more than can be said of the work that is being done here that hasn't already been said. I'm really enjoying this build and altereds have a special spot in my heart. (probably because I crewed on one lol)

Paul

Edited by mr68gts

Thanks Pete.  I DID chuckle btw. 

Paul, glad to hear you like what you see so far.  I wasn't aware of your background.  I think the rest of the build should be of interest then. 

Today I got the crank pulley finished and the idler pulley.  Blower is last.  Hope to get it done by Thursday.   cheers everyone!

DSC 0025

Got some machinist blue to clean out in the corner of the pulley as you can see. 

DSC 0049

Randy is so right, this is stunning. You are getting pretty good at that machining stuff and I still can't believe this isn't CNC. You're doing this manually. Please don't paint any of this stunning machine work. It would be a waste. A little weathering would be acceptable though.

I gotta go find my jaw. Its on the floor somewhere.

Tim... WOW... I am at a loss for words... Those Pulley's have turned out Killer. Man you are just crushing this build. Keep up the awesome work you are doing. I can't wait to see the Blower pulley now. You are going to add the starter engagement piece right?? ;) :P. That thing would be darn small to machine and bolt to the front of the pulley but with your talents, I think it would be a breeze...lol B). Gorgeous work my friend.

I had to share those couple of pics because I was truly pleased with how it looked so far & that you would appreciate the difference too.  Many sincere thanks for the comments & interest in the build. 

I did want to answer Chris about the starter brackets.   I probably won't be bothering to machine that.  M.A.S. makes some fantastic brackets for specifically for that in P.E.  I have had a few sets laying around now for sometime and will use them on this build. No reason to attempt making them, I'm afraid if I did, it would just add another week to the build.  I'll share a pic of them and the model number in my next post.  I will be making the necessary idler pulley bracket though as I want to attempt one that incorporates the front motor mounts into the design as well. 

cheers! 

impatiently taps finger waiting on top pulley.....:D, or an update lol!

I have got to get me a mill! Maybe next year. ( I keep saying that but there is a 1/12 project that has been held up because of no milling machine and I'm tired of looking at it in pieces lol)

Thanks again fellas. I've been a little slow getting back to this as I had finger surgery last Friday.  Same operation as before (my 8th one) and I could finally get back to the bench. Completed the pulleys. The toothed belt is an M.A.S. blower belt that I skived down about 1/3 to thin it up.  I drilled a plate to mock them up so the idler pulley is a little higher than it will be on the car.  I did this as the belt had a little too much tension on it so I wanted to store it this way to give the rubber some "memory" and to loosen it up a bit for final assembly.  Cheers, tim

DSC 0087DSC 0039

DSC 0012

DSC 0073

Tim, I just caught up on this build.  What a great piece of machine work for the rear end!  I've been studying it a bit trying to see how you made your cuts.  I think I have it figured out and it is some really nice work.  I love the mental gymnastics it takes to imagine all the different setups.  There are probably only a few machinists here who truly appreciate the work.  I happen to be one of them.  Thanks for sharing it. 

Thanks guys and I want to answer some of your questions.

Bob, shaving the belt was easy actually.  I stretched it teeth down onto an oversized piece of alum. Chucked it in the lathe and used a sanding file and took it down gradually.  About a minute and it was done. 

Pete, appreciated. I do have to agree that it helps if you have done some machining to understand what goes into it.  I like the challenge in trying to figure out how to make something and then going about doing it.  My biggest fault is that I do something that can be made easier and quicker but my lack of experience leads me down the harder path.  But I'm learning it as I go along and it's fun.  Wait till you see the steering box & dual remote oil filter bracket that I want to attempt.  I hope. 

Thank you Art & Joe.  

Paul, not jewelry..........but I appreciate the inference.

Ah, Dave.  Well now that's a story all itself. Which I'll share. I had the blower pulley done last Thursday before my surgery.  BUT, my numbers were wrong and I had even run a few teeth and checked it and liked what I saw.  Did the whole pullley (cutting one is a 2+ hour step for me to cut such skinny grooves) and the belt didn't fit.  I discovered my number was off by .6 of one degree on each tooth. Made all the difference and it fits perfectly now.  I shoulda asked I know but sometimes you just gotta let the student figure it out for themselves.  ;)  Oh, so I took 2 1/2 hours just to cut the teeth in the 2nd one.  Yippee.  btw, thanks very much for the compliment.

Jim, thanks for following along.  The engine guys ran the belts on either side of the idler. I discussed this with some very knowledgeable people and there are different schools of thought on it.  I am NOT trying to start a debate on whether one way is better than another.  To each his own.  I'm going to set mine up to showcase what I think will be the most interesting parts of the engine. I have yet to make some of those bits and pieces, so I'll make a decision when I get closer to final mock-up and assembly.  Good question though.

Thanks Chris.  As I said at the beginning, I've always admired the ones on your Vega and really wanted to see how close I might be able to get in my scale.  On the belt shaving, please see above what I shared with Bob on how it was done.    Got some cool things coming up that I have drawn up and want to make soon.   I promise to get you that list by this weekend. 

Cheers, Tim