Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Chris, yes sir, .22mm on the fin width. It was time consuming. As an fyi, I elmer glued my piece to the back of a resin Halibrand casting because I just wanted a quick visualization of it.  The Frankland and Halibrand are noticeably different in their appearance from that era and my pic is not accurate as it would be simply too long.

Tom and Manfred, thank you gentlemen and for following this new thread too.  Many pieces yet to make on this one but its a good start.

Art, I was inspired by the early 70's funnys like the dunn & reath car that ran a halibrand and some others that ran the Frankland.  I just liked the look of the Frankland due to the fins on the top AND bottom of the rear cover/housing that were fairly long in length.  I agree it's a bit different from the norm, but as you know, I like different.  It is period correct however. 

Cheers fellas, tim

Tim... I am still amazed at your machining skills. I can easily see how you can have alot of hours wrapped up into the parts you make. But I would think the reward is totally worth it. You don't know how bad I wish I could go buy the end mill and lathe that I want. I have been wanting them for a couple of years now. And seeing your work just makes me wish I could get mine now. I like the idea that you went with the Frankland rear end, I love the fins on it and it is going to look great in that car. I am already looking forward to your next update.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Tim is back at it again, turning out minature works of art that look so real, you'd swear it was a 1:1 part. I am truly impressed with the skills and workmanship you posses. Thank you for sharing your builds with us.

Worked on the center spool today by machining the "spine and ribs".  The pic you see with the aluminum "bell" was a quick test to proof out that I could do what I wanted to.  It is NOT correct however in that the flange isn't drilled for the 11 bolts to secure it and more importantly, the "bell" itself is 2mm too tall.  The curvature of the bell will actually end flush with the flange.  But now I know I can do it and what I have to do.  Some tricky pieces yet to fabricate but I can envision it already and I think it will be a very reasonable facsimile.  Cheers, tim

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG REAR END 2 023

In this pic you can clearly see the part of the bell that has to be narrowed.  Just experimenting, machined it in about 15 minutes.  I hope to get the bells done early next week and then start the pinion flange and the tricky rear flange that joins the finned rear portion to the spool.  I have a plan for that piece and hope it works out. 

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG REAR END 2 088

Tim... Your work is always so Impressive and I am blown away by your machining skills. Each time I see new parts you have machined make me really want to just spend the money I don't have on a mill so I can make my own parts...lol. Needless to say I am thoroughly impressed. I will be anxiously awaiting your next update. Keep up the great work.

Thank you guys.  Wasn't sure if this thread would hold much interest because of the subject but it's apparent the drag fans are strong at the forum. 

MIke, (iborg) no cnc here. All free hand. 

Chris, you should just get started with the "essentials" to get started with machining.  You can always add to the tooling later as the $ becomes available.  You'll enjoy it.

Here's an update on the rear. Got it soldered and 97% of the clean up is done on this portion.  I have another week I think on this unit but I'm waiting on a particular end mill this week to get onto the next few pieces.  I'll nickel plate it when done and then get back to the engine.  cheers, tim

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG REAR END PART 3 023

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG REAR END PART 3 056

I still have to add the 6 tubes and bolts to the rear cover.

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG REAR END PART 3 123

Tim, I am not a big fan of dragsters but I do appreciate outstanding craftsmanship and I will always be thankful that I decided to take a look at your previous wip. I now make a point of checking the dragster threads just for the incredible skills that are on display in this section of the forum, and you are definitely in the top 1 percent of the artists on this forum. I only dream of achieving your level of finesse. 

Thank you everyone.  Tony, that's a bit over the top but appreciated none the less.  Got the "bells" done with the drilled rings. Had to make them this way as I didn't have a particular tool to make them the way I wanted to.  More work but the result was the same.  Couple more things to make for it and then solder it all up.  The mock-up is not soldered as an fyi.   I'll have to show it next to a penny for scale next time. Truly small.  cheers, tim

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG REAR END PART 4 005

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG REAR END PART 4 076

Tom, Bob and Tony,  sincerely appreciate your following the thread and for taking the time to comment.  Glad you like it so far. 

Chris, like where you are on the Vega, ready for another update though.  ;)

Dave (comp1839) - I got nothing on the rear you did for my Henry build.  Having fun doing this though but still so much to learn yet.  I'll give you a call soon!   btw, anything new on your dragster to share?  

Joe, last but not least...........thanks for the chuckle and the sentiment.  Yup, just gotta get on with it.  After the rear is finished on this one, I'll be jumping back to opening up the Falcon so I can keep it moving forward too. 

cheers fellas!