Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Tim... That is one sweet update my friend. Man do those brackets look nice. You did an outstanding job on them. What I would give to be able to have a tutorial session like you are going to get to have. That mentorship would be priceless for sure. I can't wait to see what goodies come from that...lol Keep up the great work

So, was in "class" all day.  Whew, never thought "school" could be so much fun.  I wanted to share a pic of the wheel that I'm going for.  I did NOT make this wheel, Dave did while he was "messin' around".    I can only hope that mine turn out this sweet.  The research and effort Dave put forth on this I can't put a price on.  I've gotten the education and fantastic renderings to take this on I believe.  So, I have 1 tool to order but I'll get started on the centers next week and the rims when the tool comes.  Behold, the only known American Racing "Bear Paw" wheel in real aluminum in 1/25th (or any scale outside 1:1) that I know of.  The tire is a compresins piece that I need to re-shape/size the diameter and width of but it's fairly close and I think can be used. Cheers

DSC 0008

tim, glad to see you're going to build this in an era when actual engineering and good common sense were starting to emerge in the sport. as usual, your skill at machining and building is exceeding all expectations!!!! the 100% machined donovan and the 100% machined quick change rear are just beautiful!!!!!!  the wheels should be the bomb when you're done.  i'm only glad to help when i can. thanks buddy!!

• 2 weeks later...

Changed the body again and got the rear wheels done.  These couple of pics show the body on the left that I've narrowed further.  Don't care for barn door aerodynamics (especially at the firewall) so I re-did the body one more, final time. Added an extended brass lip to the cowl and glassed the body on the inside for strength and narrowed the front of the much more substantially.  I'll stay with the fender-less version as it lets me drop the body down further at the rear.

DSC 0072

DSC 0062

This pic is of the center spoked portion of the wheel on the mill.

DSC 0009

The completed rims.  I have to add the tire valve and these have NOT been polished whatsoever yet.  The last pic shows the center sitting flush to the wheel as I cut a thin, .5mm groove for it sit in.  The tires still need a little more work as the sidewall is too wide yet and not to proper scale.  For my very first pair of wheels, I'm very happy with them and thanks again Dave for the guidance and drawings you did, couldn't have done them otherwise.  Cheers

DSC 0047

DSC 0056

Edited by Codi

Tim... that there is some super impressive work my friend. Those wheels turned out killer. What I would give to be able to make my own parts like this.  I love what you have done with the body and I think the fender less body looks way better. You are always amazing me with your updates. I can't wait until the next one.

outstanding work on the bantam body Tim.  absolutely love the way you've modified it.   it definitely is "schwoopy".

the wheels take the cake......GREAT job.  this is one build, that just can not be built fast enough for me.   i'm lovin' it !!!!!!!

Great work on this, Tim.   The Bear Claw wheels are really interesting and impressive, and the attention to detail (e.g.. the body mods on this page of the thread) is very much admired by this builder/writer!  

Keep up the great work!   Cheers....one of the other "Tims" on this Board!  

Brad, thanks for following and I figured this post might hold you over a little bit.  Some minor changes to the chassis drawings yet and then I'm starting to fab it.

Bob, the differences of the two bodies is pretty dramatic actually. I  dropped them over a kit funny car chassis just to get an idea of how they look and it's truly night and day.  Appreciate the comment on the wheels too.

Chris, I've got nothing on you sir.  Keep posting details on your engine build-up, they'll make great reference photos for me.  ;)

Dave, "schwoopy"....I like it.  When I did the mock-up that I noted to Bob above, I dropped the block and heads in the chassis.  This thing will be ALL motor.  btw, did I say "thanks" to you?  The wheels took me longer than I anticipated (as always) but they look sweet in person.  Next time we get together I'll bring along to share.

Tim, glad you popped in and I DO appreciate your comments.  I've read your articles many times and follow your work as well.  Hope you continue to follow along even though it takes me a while to do a build.  

Cheers to all,  tim

"This thing will be ALL motor.  btw, did I say "thanks" to you? "         why yes......yes you did say thank you. it is always a pleasure to help someone who says, thank you.

i am going to lodge a formal request for a few mock up pics. i think we'd all like to see just how cool this thing looks.  i'm so excited, i hope i don't pee myself!

Hi Dave,  I worked on my numbers and outline on how to make the 12 spoke front wheels today.  I don't know if my idea will work but I'm going to give it a try.  The hubs and rims will be drilled.  Would you by chance happen to know the degree off-set concerning the spokes from the hub to the wheel rim?   As best I can surmise, it's between 3 to 5 degrees.  I want to angle drill the holes in the hub itself to get a good seat and proper look.   After I get these things done I'll post some sort of mock-up here before I start soldering up the chassis. \  As best I can tell, the proportions etc. will be similar to "The Tramp".  It will be 110" wheelbase too.  ;)  cheers my friend!

Started on the American Racing 12 spokes. I saw a pair of these in a pic of Wes Campbell's Morris Mini machined of aluminum as well.  I liked the look and thought I could pull it off so I'm giving it a shot. The kit wheels are just not suitable. I was anxious to check my spoke off sets so in these pics you'll see the hub with 2 spokes in place for mock-up purposes.  A few more minor details to address on this one (polish and add tire valve) and do it's twin.  I'll post pics early next week of the finished pair.  cheers, tim

DSC 0013

Edited by Codi

Wow, very nice work Tim!  I assume that you used a end mill to cut the angle holes.  They look great.  I have used a free CAD program to divine angles.  It is called Google Sketchup and there is a free version.  Not a difficult program to learn and it does yield angle measurements. You might want to play with it.  A few hours of learning it can reduce the scrap at the bench.

I also assume that you are using a rotary table mounted on an angle plate.  The last time I was at Sherline(they are less than 5 miles from me) I discovered something.  I had an issue with the rotary table mounted on the angle plate.  When I did items that required a close to vertical mount the angle plate and table would not let me lower the milling head close enough to the work piece.  The angle plate bumped into the motor mount on the head.  Well, I was discussing that with them and they will custom machine a rotary table with the crank on the opposite side.  Same price.  If you are going to do a lot of this type of work, you might consider getting one.