Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Flame soldered the intake together today, have to add fuel blocks and some detail "tabs".  Should have this done next week then onto the blower.  I did a quick mock-up out of curiosity.  cheers, tim

DSC 0061

DSC 0124

DSC 0125

DSC 0081

Tim.... That is so Gorgeous my friend. I just said some Dirty Words when I clicked on this and saw these new pics. Hot Daymn.... This is So Bad Ass all Mocked up. It is so dang Impressive. Definitely Top Notch work. I am so Blown Away you don't understand.... Time to go play with Dolls now......

Tim, this is getting serious(not that it wasn't before)!  Each of the individual parts are great, but this is such a synergistic project.  Seeing them come together really shows how the whole project is much greater than the sum of the parts.  A real revelation to see the mockup!  

By the way, on the step jaws, I hate to admit it but I bought a separate vice just for them.  Although the indexing of the jaws, if I ever take them out is probably pretty accurate, I just feel that milled in place is probably the best way to keep them parallel.  Sherline vices are not stupid expensive. When you mentioned machinist vises, I looked on line for one and I am not sure I want to drop $500 on a good one. What type are you using?

i was all pleased with myself, that i got my tailights put in today.......then i saw this. so, now me and sailor jerry are gonna get up close and personal!!! ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL, TIM!!!!!!   man, that is impressive.

Brother Tim, sorry I've been away. Takes longer for old guys to bounce back from minor illnesses.

You've made some incredible progress. I have to stare at every picture in awe to make sure I don't miss a detail you so painfully and meticulously 

craft and install.

Chris, it looks good on the manifold & blower you provided me.  Got some things in store for the blower but I'm using the manifold as I just can't top that one.  btw, you don't really know any curse words but I got the message.  You're just too nice to swear.  

Pete, I saw one at Micromark for around $150. I think,  the Littlemachineshop has one that is much more expensive.  I bought mine several years ago and can't remember for the life of me where I got it.  Sorry. 

Thank you John and for checking in too!! 

Hey Dave, thanks but I thought you were a "Walker" man now?!   I checked out your sweet set-up on the tail lights on the 37'........how the heck did you come up with that cool design?  REALLY like it!

Bob, Scott & Davewilly,  thanks too fellas.  This bugger is going to be almost 2 weeks of work when done.  crazy huh?  (rhetorical, no need to answer unless you really feel it necessary :D )  

Joe, hope it was nothing too serious & that you've completely recovered.  Glad you like it so far, hope you like the rest.

So, on the real setup there are 12 "flats" as I call them for the 8 fuel inlets and the 4 front & rear flats where the throttle linkage passes through the tubes.  I found some dirtmodeler brass tabs that were almost perfect for this next step & they only required a bit of modification.  I had to drill the fuel ports out as I'm going to insert .6mm s/steel tube that I'll slip the fuel line fittings into.  I'm going to use .3mm nickel/silver rod that I bought from Albion for the hard lines. 12 tabs in all took me over an hour to get them soldered on properly.  They are SOOOO small.  I've ordered an Electro-less plating kit from Caswell that plates nickel over brass using a chemical process only.  It's worth experimenting with it as the electro-plating process that I've been using I don't feel will be suitable for this part for a variety of reasons I'll skip over right now.  I'll show the results of my "chemistry class" experiment once it arrives. Next I'll do the the injector plate & manifold fuel blocks, then it will be ready for plating & butterflies.  Last step will be the fuel lines which I'm sure I'm going to have to ask Chris for advice as his are PERFECTLY symmetrical.   Oh to have his patience.  1st pic I'm using a scribe to point out the "flats".  Cheers, tim

DSC 0032

Edited by Codi

Its difficult to imagine that whole intake is 1/24th scale. Your eyes must hurt.  Really interested to see the results of the electro-less plating kit as the chemical one was a challenge for me. Great stuff Tim.

I can only imagine what Chris said.... lol!

Beautiful work and great inspiration as to not only how to do something in scale but also the ability to be able to do it in scale. I can only reiterate not only what I have said in the past about this model but also what others have said about it.

I was going to take a picture of the Chevelle sitting in the waste dumpster as a funny but am on the road for a while longer and the only waste dumpster I have has food in it at the moment lol. (yes I have the Chevelle with me as I displayed it at GSL)

Paul

Tim... everything is so precise and perfect. That set up is just gorgeous. I sorta feel like Paul where I want to Can the Funny Car now.  I amgetting tired of taking steps backwards and having to fix things with everything. Looking forward to what your next update will bring us.

First off...  the mock up with the motor in place with the blower is some of the best eye candy ever posted my friend !!!!!  Then you show your soldering skills to the max !!!!

Look forward to seeing your results with the chemical plating process.

Randy

Many many thanks guys for your posts and appreciation for the build.  Quick update, the Caswell electroless system came yesterday.  I watched a GSL video from 08' I think that showed Bill Cunningham (I think that's who did the youtube video) on how to use it.  He made it look so easy AND he had great results with it.  The manual they sent along was quite extensive on all of their different plating kits.  After reading the directions I came across a few things they suggested NOT to do that I had been doing with their Brush plating system.  That's why it was more "hit or miss" I think.  So instead of using the new kit, I used the Brush plate kit with the nickel and did the dipping method instead.  Yesterday I made a quick twin to the original intake I've been working on for test purposes. I didn't spend a lot of time cleaning up the silver solder joints and you can see from the pic the result.  I'll be sure to be extra attentive to the final piece before I dip it to remove most if not all the silver solder I can.  Please remember, the intake is approx. 1/4" in width X 5'8" in length.  The result gives me confidence in using this technique when I'm ready to finish the piece with plating. My plan for the blower is to machine the front and rear plates in aluminum and do a magnesium colored finish on the blower body.  I might just anodize the butterflies with red or blue or do them in an annealed, darkened brass OR I could do the injector tube bodies in blue or red inside and the butterflies in aluminum or brass.  Any opinions on that are most welcome.  Again, thanks everyone. cheers, tim

DSC 0011

Tim - its hard to tell from the picture. I see some of the new 'practice' piece got plated smoothly but the other looks kind of rough or pitted. Is that how it looks to you in real life? Are you still leaning in the direction of using the previous 'brush' system? I'd also like to hear more about the new directions on the 'brush' system as that is the one i have and I wasn't happy with the results, as you know.

Hi Brad, I wanted to answer your questions as best I can.  The practice piece was one where I didn't spend much time cleaning it up. The reason for the experiment was due to the fact the injector tubes & plate are something unique that I've not plated before.  Round tubes / bars and flat surfaces at different times, but not something made and soldered up like this.  Caswell gives fair warning that prior to plating, you'd best have it as good as you can make it.  Smooth as can be, SHINY and of course, super clean.  I didn't bother to smooth it out to a near perfect finish.  I wanted to see how evenly the plating would take as the alligator clip was affixed in one location, so I wasn't sure how well the electrical current would flow and and through the piece and tubes in particular.  What is most noticeable about the piece when actually viewing it is the difference in the plating over the areas of silver solder that I didn't remove.  I like how the piece turned out and I think another half hour or so of cleaning up on the final piece will serve me well  When compared to the brass one in the pic though, I almost wish the real ones had been made of brass. It looks pretty cool if I may say so myself.  Hope this helped. The 1 thing I did discover that I was doing wrong on occasion was cleaning the piece before plating with either alcohol or acetone with a quick soap bath prior to plating.  The booklet says not to use either and recommended Soft Scrub for final cleaning which I did this time.   Cheers

Fuel distribution blocks are done.  The brass one on the Crower has 13 holes drilled which caused me fits, it took me 2 1/2 days to make these two blocks after trying several ways of doiing them. The fittings are from RB Motion and are not permanently secured yet.  The brass block is 3.4mm in length and 2.0mm wide.  The manifold fuel distribution blcok is the out of focus aluminum piece in the pic.  Next on the list is an attempt to machine a blower out of aluminum.  Cheers, Tim

DSC 0035

I've seen the fuel block mounted either front or the rear of the blower.  In this pic it's in the rear but my plan is to swap it around to the front...........maybe. 

DSC 0050

Edited by Codi