Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Thanks fellas, and in light of the recent Thanksgiving Holiday I had to reply to Randy's "feast for the eyes" comment.  Saw what you did there sir...........nice one.  No other updates currently as I'm going through the order of assembly planning.  Still working inside that imaginary 3/4" "box" where fuel lines etc. are all jammed together.  At this point, 1/32" of an inch seems like a mile when getting everything to fit.  I've discovered what could have been some issues that I've addressed so it's time been time well spent even if it doesn't seem like much progress.   Very close to the next phase which is getting the body mounted and firewall made.  Cheers to all, Tim

• 2 weeks later...

One pic of the t fitting for the hard lines.  I saw a pic of an early Garlits Swamp Rat rear engine car and he did it this way.  My desire to do all hard fuel lines for the car makes it challenging as every point & bend has to be absolutely 100% specific.  Making a bracket to support the t-fitting was a nuisance in it's own right.  It all fits now so I'm moving onto the body & it's supports finally.  cheers everyone!

image.thumb.jpeg.558e7c3f33ef42b0a9d6092f4ffecbac.jpeg

Appreciate the acknowledgements Dave & Chris.  There's about 3/4" between the frame rails as a point of reference.  Here's 2 more quick mock-up picks of what I've been wrestling with.  I'm holding the oil filters and imagine the fuel pump in the middle of it all.  Yup, as I said, it's TIGHT.   Cheers, tim

image.thumb.jpeg.ca3821e02e075852a4edea8d73c1ae8e.jpeg

image.jpeg.fd9fb47a83ebf35a87cde11b8c67a521.jpeg

Jason, thanks for the note and following along with the thread.

Bob, thanks too for the comment about the solder joints, I've had PLENTY of practice by now so I'm glad that you noticed.  The Henry build taught me a lot.

Dave, Goatguy, appreciated sir and your comment put a smile on my face. Thanks!

Chris, I don't know about 3D, I have enough trouble with 2D.............I don't know how you guys that have mastered CAD do it.   Hope to see a post soon on the Vega, I know you're working hard on it! 

Randy, ALWAYS good to hear from you man.  Any chance you've had some bench time at all lately?   If so, don't make us beg,  just post away please.  

After fussing around with plumbing and before I started the body bracing etc. I have thought of adding a wing to the car, so the last couple days I massaged a piece of alum. bar stock (no machining this time,  even though I gave it plenty of thought) and I think I'm going to add it to the car.  I have to do the necessary brackets to mount it and the twin spill plates on the sides, but I like the look with the test body so I'm pretty sure it's going on the car as well.   The alum. bar stock you see in the foreground is what I started with as an fyi.   The wing is stuck on the chassis with some Tamiya tape so I could check out how it might look.   cheers, tim

image.thumb.jpeg.8df48ed3ded455f5189bd42a2696cb99.jpeg

image.jpeg.43ff853cee3d1b4df8ae94387f89ecd2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c1fa38f909331b67d2dc71a3baffb194.jpeg

Tim... Man does that look good. I love what you have done with the wing. Did you machine the profile of the wing?? It looks great. The Paint looks great too. So glad to see an update on this Bad A$$ Build. It put a smile on my face since I am going thru some issues at home. Thank you my friend. Love your work :wub:

Thanks John & Jason...yup, it'll be a keeper, especially if I can make the strut assembly the way I've imagined it.

Chris, no machining on this part.  Just files, dremel & jewelers drill press along with some steel dowels & a bunch of sandpaper.

I spent the morning making a pair of spill plates.  The pics vary as I'm considering height and angle when I make the supports for it. I'm going to take the wing apart as I stumbled across some smaller profile and more appropriate bolts on the sides. The current ones you see now stick up too far.  I bought some T2M allen head rivets before they went out of business and I'll sub them instead.  Looks more like a proper wing now.  About 20 hours total time in this piece.  I'm figuring on a similar amount of time to do the support / bracket structure for it yet.  Cheers, tim

image.jpeg.0b26551aa66499118baa3b829db34b61.jpeg

image.jpeg.7d5ba43a02f27aa74d30f029df287a9c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.beb19a4f950f07d2a16b6511f584a6fd.jpeg

Tim... that looks killer with the Spill plates. It makes it look just right. Now I love the shot of the update with the tire in place. It gives it a great idea of what things lookalike together and I gotta tell you this thing is looking Bad A$$!! Loving it my friend :wub:

Tim,

This model is WAY beyond impressive and there are probably no words not already said that could be thought of from me lol. Definitely like the wing. I think it finishes off the car. I would assume a stationary pivot up front and a hiem joint assembly in the rear?

Looking forward to your next update!

Paul

Thanks for the posts guys.  Paul, that's the plan but I didn't get far beyond coming up with some ideas on some of the bracket designs, positioning etc. of the wing.  The next pics I post will be of the wing on the car and the actual body for the car.  It's been quite some time but the red body I've posted in these pics is/was a practice body for paint.  The actual body is noticeably narrower and better looking in it's profile.  I'll put it on for the next mock-up pics so you can get a better idea of what it will look like.   Again, thanks guys!!  Cheers, tim

• 2 weeks later...

For those that observe Christmas, Hope you had a Merry one and to everyone else, a belated Happy Holidays!   Well, took more time to make the necessary brackets and get them on the car than it took to fab the wing itself.  I just have the 2 tab brackets to solder on the rear of the hoop to attach the rear wing supports to.  The adjustable wing supports have 1.1mm s/steel tube that I made clevis brackets out of, a .5mm threaded portion which slips into the .8mm s/steel tube.  Drilling / slicing the clevis brackets was pretty straightforward actually.  The wing will be attached with .5mm threaded bolts.  I'll add the 2 brackets and spill plates and share some final pics next week.   Happy New Years TOO!!!   Cheers to all, tim

image.thumb.jpeg.561ac4e2389592d2901228cf85a50c74.jpeg

image.jpeg.b4d232e76808580fb49a83f9c98d9017.jpeg

The body in these pics is the actual body I'll be putting on the car and I'm inclined to do the gold wheel inserts on the rear wheels..........just foolin' around to see what they might look like. 

image.jpeg.0fb06015b2755fbffc2af98c426326f9.jpeg