Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

I don't want to be rude, but I've got to run out the door for dinner. I wanted to thank each of you that are following and posting.  I got the oil pan done except for the 24 bolts to secure it to the block and the oil drain plug.  Seems pretty straightforward but it took the better part of the day to get this one made.  I'll probably have another 1 to 2 hours drilling the necessary bolt holes.  Got the cam hole along with a few others in the front of the block drilled out and notched the block at the head on the passengers side. It's starting to look like an engine now.  cheers, tim

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG OIL PAN 030

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG OIL PAN 013

Dave, Brad, Chris, Marlowe and Scott.....thanks a bunch guys!!! 

Joe, I got nothing on my 13 yr. old daughter when it comes to math............tops in Algebra 2 at her school and I had to go to summer school for algebra 1 AND 2........sheesh. 

Dave (comp1839).............couldn't have done any of this without you man.  I'm glad you approve.

So.............I might be getting better at machining but when it comes to predicting time to do a job............well, that's another story.  To drill the #77 holes that you see on the pan, I had to drill em' from the bottom of the pan (ie: upside down) To use a center drill would not have worked from the top side as the width of the c/drill would have left marks on the sides of the pan.  The flange on the pan is only 1mm. wide.  This took a LOT longer than I anticipated but I am going to boast on this one and say I nailed it.  They're perfectly spaced and located. And yes, I know.... who is really going to see it right?  Still worth the effort and time to me however.  So, not much to share but a bunch of holes.  Cheers, tim

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG COMPLETED OIL PAN 005

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG COMPLETED OIL PAN 029

Thanks Brad.....to answer your question, no I won't bother drilling the holes in the block.  At this scale, it wouldn't justify the time / effort.  I'll put the bolts in the pan as an example,  CA glue em' in and nip off the ends.  Lastly, I'll sand em' flat / level.  by the time I glue the pieces together during final assmbly,  I'm comfortable they won't be coming apart.  

To everyone out there, enjoy the July 4th weekend with your friends and family and celebrate the birth of our nation!!       Cheers, Tim

Tim... This is some just freaking killer work. I do have to ask what size center drill did you use..... 1, 0, 00, 000, 0000 or 00000?  You approached drill the holes the way I would of because the 1/8th shank on the center drills would of gotten in the way...lol. Every little pieces you do for this engine is a work on art. Every time I see your updates, they are motivations for me to eventually get an end mill and lathe...lol Cheers!

Thank you Lloyd and Joe! 

Chris, I typically use 000 center drill, but I'm going to pick up a 0000 and 00000 too.  For this particular step I actually used a very small dremel triangular twist tool that worked perfectly.  You're right that the issue is the 1/8" shank size of the center drills would touch & mar the sides of the pan.  Nothing like turning it over when done to see if they all came out perfectly.  There is no reason that they shouldn't........but............;)     Cheers

Tim... Thanks for the info. I have been keeping track of tools that I will need one day....lol They should turn out perfectly as long as the dial is moved the same distance.... ;). Did you have to deburr them with a little bigger drill or did you take some fine paper to knock the burrs off ? Keep up the amazing work on this bad boy.