Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Hey Bruce, thanks man, same to you and your family!

Chris, and I LOVE your work............can we get a post soon sir?   I know you're working on that recent engine setback, but I've NO doubt it will look BETTER than new. 

RANDY, see the comment I just put above for Chris...............how about one from you too man?   Your work is ALWAYS exceptional.

Brad, thanks too.  No cyborg here because I make way too many mistakes and take WAY too long to do something anymore.  What should have been an 18 month build will likely stretch to 28.....or something like that.   :P

John, you know by now how much I appreciate what YOU do, thanks for taking the time to check out what I'm doing here.  

To each and everyone of you that visits this thread, I wish you the best that the New Year has to offer!!!     Cheers, Tim

Tim... thanks for the kind words. I don't know when I will have another update posted. I haven't been at the bench in almost a month. I have had some things going on in my life and the motivation just hasen't been there for me. To be honest I feel like giving up on the build. Thanks for having confidence in me though.

Tim - as someone who hasn't built a model car in 50 years and who back in the day saw many of the 1:1 cars that are being modeled today, I stand in absolute awe of your abilities. The details and realism of your work is totally and truly otherworldly. If I saw the images here anywhere else I would believe they were full scale pieces being built for a future award winning show car. I cannot wait to see your work as it continues to the revealing of your completed model. Which I'm sure will set the bar for any future efforts by the rest of the universe. Congratulations and best wishes.

Chris, thanks man.  Appreciated the recent back & forth we had too and that things are working out for you!  cheers

Thanks Dave.  I cheated on them. The rivets in scale would be so small that I used a center drill to make the rivet detail on the mill.  Can't see it myself, so I doubt anyone else would notice by and large.  Oops, I just know Brad's going to call me out on that one.

Joe, thanks for following along too.  Yeah, I hear ya' on that one. I want so badly to get this build done in the next 6 months so I can get back to another Pro Mod.  I've got a vision for the new car and have been doing research and gathering info for some time now.  I might even post a pic or 2 of the destroyed Henry chassis. I've kept it to "part off" bits and pieces for the next chassis. There are so many tabs and brackets etc. that can be used & it will save time on the new chassis.  cheers

Dave & Dave, thanks guys.  Spending time on the body mounting now.  Got some things resolved that will now let me finish the rear tree to secure the body.  Coming along, slowly for sure, but still moving.

KenC, thank you for the very kind words and sentiments. I'll count you as a fan of the build & hope you'll continue to follow along as it nears completion.  Should have an update early next week! 

Cheers, Tim

Hi everyone, well,  it might not look like much but here's 2 pics of the rear body work "tree" support.  I could have had this on the car by now if I had just soldered it directly to the chassis but I had my heart set on making it removable for the sake of final assembly and an added "cool" factor.  Have to add some horizontal brace bars to it and  solder it the tabs to the chassis.  Getting the exact location of the tree to do a flip type body on it was a bit tedious and you'll see a weird looking aluminum block of metal I machined to square everything up properly.  I should know in a day or so how it turned out and then I'll get to the front bracing and firewall.  cheers, tim

image.jpeg.33faf530bcba4ff4e24aec171724ee8b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cdda7d9a0860b3078165670be98c0993.jpeg

Tim.... Outstanding work my friend. I know it might not look like much work but I know for a fact you have a lot time put into this small part of this build. I can appreciate  the  extra work you are doing because I think you are going about it the right way. Why try and shortcut anything at this point. Your work is amazing and love that you made a jig to square everything up. I am looking forward to your next update on this.

Tim, I glad you mentioned cutting blocks to keep everything square.  I have friends who often question my "mistakes" box, full of botched parts.  That is the "scrap" that gets made into jigs and such, then once used tossed back into the pile to live again in another jig.  Never toss scrap.  I always know that I will use it again later.  Great looking work!

11 hours ago, Codi said:

I had my heart set on making it removable for the sake of final assembly and an added "cool" factor. 

Good thinking Tim. Just what one of the coolest builds ever needed. Another cool factor.

I'm jazzed to see things are progressing. Stay Frosty

Many many thanks everyone for the comments AND for following this thread.  6+ hours today soldering this silly thing together, can't believe I just admitted that.  BUT, it was on the mark and does everything I wanted it to do so I'll chalk this one up as a small win.  Next is the removable parachute bar and possibly adding some wheelie bars which will then complete the back half of the chassis work. Firewall and front mounts to follow.  Gratuitous penny shot of course.  Cheers and THANKS again for your patience as this build moves on.  cheers, tim

image.thumb.jpeg.810399164589ab447ea904f44abb7bc5.jpeg

Too many tabs and brackets hanging off the back end of this one.  Just a few more..............

image.thumb.jpeg.93b11952d01567a0816002752a0c4e21.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.deff593156bb4faa2feaf4ac932fb470.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b5277d9f61eb234841397fcc9b5a41fe.jpeg

image.jpeg.d2540fb5b37faf3e7236dba8ed004711.jpeg

image.jpeg.cc72a7f4ecc43b3b8af92c75f6c0f45e.jpeg