Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

2 hours ago, Codi said:

John, Dave & Brad, appreciated as always.  I've just gotta get some more meaningful bench time soon so I can show some real progress and get her done.  Thanks again!

Chris, thanks.......chute material, I use a roll of Masters & Johnson surgical tape that I bought at Rite-Aid a few years ago. It's a fairly lightweight tape that stretches minimally while flattening and sticking on the corners.  I love working with it.  Stuff is still tacky and stays in place with little or no fraying when I cut it.  No part number on the roll unfortunately.  It only said "Made in Brazil"in red on the inside of the roll and it's 1" wide.  The overall roll was a bit more than 2" when I bought it btw.  After I put it down and have it in position, I swab the entire chute lightly  with some Zap A Gap Thin glue (the pink bottle) over it just to be sure it's secured.  No primer, just Testors flat black over it & done.  Sorry I couldn't give you a particular part number........btw, I read the post on the Vega.   EXCELLENT and I'll be watching for it.   cheers, tim

Tim, I think you mean Johnson & Johnson.  Masters and Johnson were the sex researchers in the 60's. :wacko:  Regardless, heck of a job on the parachute!  I have never seen one with so much attention to detail.  This thing is going to be drop dead gorgeous!  I have seen many discussions on this board about what constitutes a "Master Modeler".  Frankly, there is no doubt that you are a good example of what one would expect from that designation!

Edited by Pete J.

Tim... Thanks for responding to my question. I may actually have the same tape. I never thought about lightly hitting it with zap a gap. Looks great!!. Thanks for reading the post on the Vega... There is just a few more Items I want to completed before I am able to show my little progress on it. They are minor details.

Hey Pete, I had to laugh when you pointed out the bonehead I made...............thank you for the comment, I don't know about being a Master Modeler or anything, but I will say I'm one of the slowest.   

Dave, the chute cord is white thread that I wrapped around several times between two mandrels then I took flat white dental floss and wrapped the end where the loop for the chute bar is.  The chute that I wrapped it around was from my parts box, I don't know where I got it but it was resin.

Chris, I used the thin as it doesn't fill in or lose the texture in the fabric which is also the reason I didn't primer it.  No need to do that right?!    I'll keep on the lookout for your updates !!   Cheers everyone!

Tim.... Wow... That looks Steller. Man that is so nice. That thin CA did the trick I think it turned out great. The CA fooled me because I wasn't sure if it was medical tape or not. Yeah I am getting close to a few more items, I need to get a few things hooked up and then should be able to post an update. soon very soon 

Well Tim, I have gotten to page 49 of 49, and just had to chime in.  I am getting back into the hobby thanks to this forum and Chris's Vega build.  Your attention to detail is addictive, your explanations complete and your work is just mind boggling.  I learn more and more each time I visit.  I will continue to strive to be a better modeler, but getting to the standards that you, Chris, John T. and others display will be my challenge.  Everyone is very helpful and open here, and even basic questions are answered truthfully and without being condescending, for that I am grateful.

Later,

Lee

Edited by Lee Yoder
content

Thanks everyone and I'd like to acknowledge Lee's comments which are very flattering as that is some mighty fine company he's pointed out and I must agree with your comments about the forum in general. Great site here. 

Firewall is almost done and I'll be working on other tin work and supports now. . Still some fiddlin' to do to the edges to get them perfect but I'm sneaking up on it.  Cheers, Tim

image.thumb.jpeg.ef9dcd623edfc0bc2ff515750b3098c3.jpeg

this pic gives an idea of the tweekin' that I've got to finish on it.........

image.jpeg.d87e09ab73b2e3b970d2691007ba8066.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally some bench time after my entire family came down with all or some of the flu, pneumonia and bronchitis.  I saw a pic of an altered that had a cool scalloped detail around the firewall opening, idea to strengthen the opening itself while doing so with a bit of cool factor.  A little detailing and onto the next steps.............cheers

image.jpeg.26bc1dd4fd964d92f173d27b621ad7ea.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0d0bb2822d27e46b56fb9e21a254373f.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hi fellas, sorry I haven't responded sooner to your comments.  I'm glad you like the firewall, finally got the steering link and on the car.  Good range of motion, no binding at all and it fits the bill.  Wrapping up the body bracing etc. next and then time to paint, plate and detail for the final assembly now.  yeah!  cheers, tim

image.png.97b494f079115835853696d0d22370fd.png

image.png.9cfebe09b8b750376bb6efcb75e9a555.png

image.png.4ace48081fc20661b9e29c91621cc92a.png

image.thumb.png.fb5c9ce84856937014d9b299993e972c.png