Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Chris, like where you are on the Vega, ready for another update though.  

Tim... Thanks. I was hoping to get an update posted over the weekend but unfortunately I had to work late Friday and had to go into work Saturday.  I got very little time at the bench  yesterday but hoping to possibly have an update later tonight or tomorrow. I have got something what I think is pretty cool to share. Well to me it is... haha. It pretty much will check a completed assembly off the list.

Ray, thanks for the sentiments.  Immersed now in this one and the Falcon. 

Chris, looking forward to it and Dave....thanks too the compliment.

Today was productive even though what you see today is not parted off yet and the axle "braces" need to be tapered / shaped after they're off the mill.  This was satisfying as i have a tremendous amount of planning before I could even start. I'm limited by the scale and the size of the end mills to do certain operations. I have to get creative to be able to make certain parts and I know it takes me a LOT more time to make them because of it.  I have to make the twin but when done, the rear will be just about complete.  Here's a pic of a 1:1 showing the "bells and the axle braces.  It would have been too difficult to make / shape 16 separate braces and then soldered them on in perfect alignment, so I wanted to machine them instead. 

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG REAR END PART 5 013

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG REAR END PART 5 007

This pic shows the drilled ring setting on top to give you an idea.  The entire piece when parted off will be just over 7mm in overall length. 

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG REAR END PART 5 018

And with the bell resting in the "cradle"........I'll solder all of this together when competed. I'll share later this week when they're both done and shaped.  cheers

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG REAR END PART 5 026

What we are witnessing with this thread is sheer perfection and a dedication to making things absolutely flawless. I applaud your extensive efforts Tim.

And I applaud Brad's applause, but only because I enjoy being totally overwhelmed with your ability to envision how to get to where you need to be.

What comes out of your ears when you're thinking this stuff up? Smoke or Steam?

Tim.... Wow.... all I can say is ypu are truly one of the best. That is so impressive to change the set up to get the results you want since you don't have tooling to do it your original way. I have to give you alot of.credit for being creative. It goes to show that anyone can do anything when they put their mind to it. Now I can't wait to see this all together. Nice Work!

Must say I'm flattered by all the positive comments.  Dave hit upon the fun part of machining with his joke about getting rid of the "ugly" metal to get to the jewel.  It's truly what I enjoy about machining.  It made me think of those dinosaur kits that have bones buried in plaster and they give you a wooden mallet and pick to "chip em' out".  Always cool to see what the "prize" is.  Today I was anxious to complete the twin while the numbers were fresh in my head (even though I take copious notes).  I'm going to shorten each side by 1mm and increase the taper of the splines.  But this is so close to being done now.  Thanks again for following along.  cheers, tim

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG REAR END PART 7 012

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG REAR END PART 7 035