Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

40 hours in the pair of these between the research, even with Dave's info that he shared, drawings and actual machining but I can move on. Cheers, tim

DSC 0070

DSC 0080

DSC 0092

Edited by Codi

Tim..... Holy Cow.... There you go again pulling out that Giant Penny.... :lol: ;) That right there is some awesome machining work on those valve covers and it sure shows. Now all you need to do is polish those bad boys up and then you will need to wear your B) at night...lol . Every update this build gets better. I am simply amazed by it and still can't quite grasp that it is 1/25th, Major props to ya.

Ray, Manfred, Dave & Dave, Marlowe, Joe, Chris, Randy and Niko......guys, you're very loyal followers and for that I'm very grateful.  Sometimes the little things eat up time but it was my choice.  I started the valve cover breathers today and have only the base part to do.  What you see here are 2 separate parts drilled and pinned together.  The length of the top part of the breather is 3.8mm and width is 2.0mm.   I used a 1/32" corner rounding end mill to do the 4 sides of the top portion (yes Dave, I am truly nuts). After I get the base done I'm doing the water necks for the front of the heads, which are very convoluted...........then I have to get to some paint and body work on a couple of other builds. One to finish and one to kick-start.  cheers, tim

btw, Dave (comp1839) thanks for the FED dragster suggestion.  I am SERIOUSLY considering it as I want this engine and rear end front and center......did a bunch of research over the weekend..........really intriguing notion I assure you.

Also got the some pieces of the block finally assembled AND the ribs (22) put into the crank girdle. 

DSC 0057

Edited by Codi

Thank you fellas and Joe, appreciate the giggles as always.  Love your sense of humor.  Davewilly, trust me I was scouring the floor more than once picking up pieces making these things.   :o   I DID find them thankfully.   Today I added the base plates to them. Took some PE pieces that I found from some firm in the UK and stacked them 3 high, re-shaped them a bit with the dremel and then assembled them.  These things in real aluminum look pretty sharp in person I must say and I consider it time well spent for what it adds to the engine.  Cheers everyone!   tim

The valve covers are only resting in place on the heads at this point.  I'm going to give the v. covers a high polished finish and add the necessary bolts that secure them.

DSC 0005

Edited by Codi

Tim, Tim, Tim...every descriptive adjective under the sun has already been used to describe this fine piece of manual engineering. If this had been programmed into a CNC, I'd still be very impressed but this was done by hand. Instead of CNC, I think this should be referred to as TNC (Tim Numeric Control). Outstanding!!

What are your plans for polishing? Do you have a secret compound or might you be looking for suggestions? I have a number of compounds in various grades of abrasion that I use on my vintage Airstream that will polish it out to a mirror shine.

Edited by gasser59