Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Hi Tim.......OUTSTANDING post........looks awesome man.......the way you painted the headers is very realistic looking......I really think your painting skills are great already Tim.......but,it would be an honor to help you with any questions you have about paint.......just love this build Brother:wub:

Morning everyone, I'd like to acknowledge your replies individually.

Dave, I don't know about the "best" but I'm proud of it.   A lot of effort and hours but it will be "front & center" that's for sure.   Thanks again for the insights and knowledge you've imparted to help me get it this far. 

Brad & Randy D.  must agree with you both as it's taken forever to get here with the build.  But it's the fun part seeing it come together like this now.  It's keeping me moving forward, some days fast, others slow.  Thanks again for following along.

Bill, thank you sir.

John, thanks man, I am fortunate to have the opportunity to pick your brains too.  I've met some truly awesome people on the forum and it's been helpful to say the least when I can turn to others for insights or guidance on a step or process.  I've learned a lot!   Paint is the one step that I consider "voo-doo", so why not turn to the one that seems to have mastered it right? 

Paul, I use various sized metal dowels to get the bends desired & on some of the tighter radii, I'll use a small jewelers adjustable bending jig.  Hand held device that I clamp in a vice, insert the steel dowel pins where desired and bend accordingly.   I bought it from Rio Grande Jewelers supply and it's got a decent range of adjustability which helps when a piece has two bends that need to match like the front axle  I'll see if I can take a quick pic of it and post it later for you if you're interested.  I used it quite a bit on the front axle & steering bits.  Nice work again on your build too! 

Cheers, Tim

Tim... this build is nothing short of outstanding, it is a gorgeous build and I love that you have gotten some color on a few parts. I know what that milestone and accomplishment is like after working so long and hard on things then to finally start seeing it all come together. You have set the bar so high for the rest of us on drags cars. You should be nothing but proud with this build. To see you pretty much make everything from scratch just blows me away. Big fan of your work and skills my friend. Cheers, looking forward to your next awesome update.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Hey Leonard, nice to hear from you, how about some posts on what you've been working on.  Love your work sir.  

Chris, I'll count you as a fan.  This forum has quite a few outstanding builders and for those just visiting the site, well, I think they're going to be staring at their computer screen for a long long time getting caught up on previous posts throughout the site.   You HAVE to start that new thread now on the dragster planning you're doing. Talk to you soon I'm sure.  

Today I spent time assembling my "Frankenstein" magneto.  As I posted above, I media blasted the bottom portion of the body and painted it flat black. The distributor cap is semi-gloss black from Tamiya.  I modified the knurled part for the "coil" wire as it enters the body.  The smallest, trickiest thing to make were the twin distributor "straps".   I really wanted to add that particular detail and I believe they're pretty close to accurate. They're only .5mm wide and 1.5mm in overall length.  I'll either go with red or blue plug wires I believe and add ProTech distributor boots.  Cheers, Tim

DSC 0052

DSC 0061

DSC 0024

DSC 0007

Tim, this stuff in legendary!  Seriously nice work.  I have been following for the last couple of months but not posted for fear of being chastised for not being at the bench.  Now that I am back, I can be a bit more vocal.  Great work.  I look forward to each installment. 

Pete

Thanks so much for the positive comments guys.  I owe a pic of the small clamping device that I use from time to time to bend certain tubing & rod.  They have one for sale on MicroMark as well as Rio Grande Jewelry supply.  Prices are around $18. for the cheapest and more than $299. for the best of the rest.  I didn't spend even $40. if memory serves.  It can expand by using the knob on the side and has steel dowel pins to set the bends wherever you want to.  You can even set them up at different angles, you just have to be creative with it.  A pic of the brake calipers with a bit of color on them too.  The nuts/bolts & fittings will really set them off I believe.   cheers, tim

DSC 0003

DSC 0024

Edited by Codi