Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Tim.... Absolutely Stunning My Friend!!! This build is out if this world and continues to get better with every update. Love the display you are doing :wub:. You are in the home stretch for sure. I wanna hear this thing fire up. 

Edited by Mooneyzs

As Tim mentioned, I had the extreme honor and pleasure to see this with my own eyes. All the adjectives and comments we've made are right on and beyond. Words like WOW aren't enough. Wish all of you had been there. Thanks again Tim for allowing me to enter the modeling sanctuary and sharing your wisdom and some photoetch parts as well. 

Many thanks to each of you for your comments and interest.  It's amazing how things move or "grow" during assembly.  I put the rear body tree on to support the body and finished the rear brake lines.  So I thought I'd do a last minute check on the clearances for the inner fenders to the body and the magneto.  Mag is great.......inner fenders, not so much.  I massaged them to the point of proper fitment but for the life of me I don't know why it was necessary.  It was completely fine when I fabricated them in the first place.  Oh well.  I took a second while I had the body on to check the clearances and took a quick mock up for an idea of where it's headed.  Happy Memorial Day to everyone and all my respect to those that are either serving or have served.  Cheers, Tim

image.png.fadcc724002ab108e4bad3b11087490c.png

I do believe I'm getting callouses on the bottom of my chin from it hitting the floor so many times viewing this thread. I've never understood the fitment issues towards the end of a build when all along everything fit fine. I guess we can all be confused together. You're rounding third and headed for home because you've certainly hit this over the fence and I couldn't be happier for you. I hope to see this with my own eyes one day.

Edited by gasser59

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys for your posted comments above......it's been 2 weeks and I've been painting etc. So I got the candy red on and the pic doesn't do it justice.  At all. Just a slight bit of orange peel and the body has yet to be polished & cleared.  I'm very pleased with the color trust me BUT you can see from the pic that I ran into a problem at the bottom edge of the body when I pulled the tape.  UGH!  So, I paint so infrequently, but didn't panic and knew who to reach out to.........yup, that master painter John Teresi.  He shared some ideas on how I can save the paint job and repair/blend the paint on the edge.  I'm just waiting on some more gold paint to arrive Monday and I'll get after it.  We're having some great paint days this year and next week we'll have a couple more. 

Also started the detailing of the magneto and plug wires.  I've seen John T. & Clay Kemp detail their plug wires with stencils and thought I'd give it a try too.  I used Woodland HO train dry transfers to put the stenciling on the plug wires.  I took a piece of renshape and used a ball mill to cut a shallow groove to keep the wire straight while applying the decals.  About 90 minutes to do all 8.  Pic 1 shows a plug wire about to be detailed and the second shows a bunch of the completed lines.  Plug boots & looms to be added upon install to the mag and engine.  Hopefully have some good pics of the body next week if I can fix it right.  Cheers, Tim

image.png.7dc9ef59c1f312850d642ec367b5b833.png

image.png.79786356f8103bf925f04c96219a961a.png

image.png.9cc2669aca7f7828063ccecdce879323.png

Tim.... Things are looking great my friend. Sorry to hear about the paint lifting when you pulled the tape. You will have it fixed in no time at all an I know that John will give you good advice on how to fix her up. Love the idea of adding lettering to the plug wire. I may have to borrow that some time. I had no clue that they made lettering that small in dry transfers...lol Looking forward to your next update.

• 4 weeks later...

Took a while but the paint is done.  Thank you John Teresi for the advice & encouragement to correct the mistake and see it thru.  I've got to polish and possibly re-clear the radiator shell to get on with the final assembly.  The pics are of so-so quality and I'll try to shoot them later with a white background v. the pale yellow you see here.  The colors were all Alclad 2.   Happy 4th of July to all!  Tim

image.png.21be114adcce5808ed00eb9f5e1718b9.png

image.png.f26cff30abe5a772c64939e4d428e4be.png

image.png.51966c09691a3120002c979ff98a8171.png

image.thumb.png.56157c5c00052cdc79ead301be7a8f60.png

image.png.5687ff6b62b7fd44df7fccbad033ddfc.png

Tim... the paint work is absolutely stunning. Nice job, John definitely knows what he is doing that's for sure and you couldn't go wrong with his advice. I cant wait to see this gorgeous body sitting on the chassis.... gonna shine like a Diamond!! :wub: Cheers my friend!! I know it's a huge milestone to have the body done. Very rewarding that's for sure.