Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Morning Pete, I have run across that issue with mine as well. I've had to work around it and make certain setup compromises in the past. I like the idea that they are willing to make a "flipped" model to avoid the issue.  Did they share a part number with you and or a price?   Have you ordered yours yet by chance?    I'll make an inquiry this week sometime and find out more too so I can get one ordered. 

Thanks for sharing the insight.  Cheers, Tim

Morning Pete, I have run across that issue with mine as well. I've had to work around it and make certain setup compromises in the past. I like the idea that they are willing to make a "flipped" model to avoid the issue.  Did they share a part number with you and or a price?   Have you ordered yours yet by chance?    I'll make an inquiry this week sometime and find out more too so I can get one ordered. 

Thanks for sharing the insight.  Cheers, Tim

Tim, I spoke to Fred at Sherline about it.    He is the one that put me on to it. To my knowledge there is no regular part number as they are done on request.   I have not ordered one yet, but he said they were the same price as a regular one.  No markup.  Now that was in the factory face to face, so I assume that they would do it for anyone.  They are really great to work with.  Oh and by the way, Fred is really worth getting to know.  He is a very experienced machinist(read well past social security age) and is one of the most helpful recourses I have for machining questions. I think I will go over tomorrow as get one.  I am going to take mine over and see if they do a conversion also. 

Edited by Pete J.

Hi ya Pete,  I've gotten to know Fred pretty well actually even though I've never met the man. Had some minor issues the last couple years and he ALWAYS gets me squared away each and every time.  You're right, he's truly a wealth of knowledge.  That alone is worth the price of their equipment for a newb like me.  Living 3000 miles from their offices makes it all the more important to have people like Fred to rely upon.  When I call them next week I'll mention you by name.  Thanks again.

Started the headers by machining the flanges and got a bunch of tubing to start bending up. I have a very simple "jig" to help me get the sweep I want on them. I'll share it here once I confirm it actually does what I intended.   The small holes in the center are for brass "pins" to solder the tubes to.  The actual tube diameter is much bigger of course.  Cheers

DSC 0008

Tim... that is an awesome start  to your headers with the flanges. And with the Jig you should have no trouble's getting things all lined up and soldered. I can't wait to see more progress on them.

Pete... I would of been interested in reading about the rotary table. Then again I have been wanting a milling machine for quite some time. Was totally interested in the sheroine stuff but as of late been looking at some other options dude to the limited travel a d hearing that a few others have had some chattering issues due to the main body of the machines made from extruded aluminum. I don't know if you have had any issues like that but would be interested in hearing if you have. So right. Now I have been doing a little research on table top machines with cast iron bases.

Tim... that is an awesome start  to your headers with the flanges. And with the Jig you should have no trouble's getting things all lined up and soldered. I can't wait to see more progress on them.

Pete... I would of been interested in reading about the rotary table. Then again I have been wanting a milling machine for quite some time. Was totally interested in the sheroine stuff but as of late been looking at some other options dude to the limited travel a d hearing that a few others have had some chattering issues due to the main body of the machines made from extruded aluminum. I don't know if you have had any issues like that but would be interested in hearing if you have. So right. Now I have been doing a little research on table top machines with cast iron bases.

Chris- PM sent

Chassis started today.  The burnt wood block above the frame I've started was a test.  I want to align the two halves as perfectly as possible and with 3 different diameter of tubing & rod the challenge is to get them centered properly.  The burnt block has some channels I cut in on the mill and then I placed the appropriate tubing or rod in it's slot and flame soldered everything.  Done in a minute after all the prep that was done.  The brass piece sitting on next to the burnt test piece was the result. I only ran a dremel brush over it for a second and that's the way it turned out.  Strong clean joints that required ZERO clean-up.  That I really like.  So I took my drawings and cut the same grooves into the big piece that you see.  Nothing has been soldered yet as I have to make duplicate pieces of rod & tube to match the first.  I'm confident when done that the 2 halves will be the same and I can start the assembly in earnest.  Cheers, Tim

DSC 0004

Chassis started today.  The burnt wood block above the frame I've started was a test.  I want to align the two halves as perfectly as possible and with 3 different diameter of tubing & rod the challenge is to get them centered properly.  The burnt block has some channels I cut in on the mill and then I placed the appropriate tubing or rod in it's slot and flame soldered everything.  Done in a minute after all the prep that was done.  The brass piece sitting on next to the burnt test piece was the result. I only ran a dremel brush over it for a second and that's the way it turned out.  Strong clean joints that required ZERO clean-up.  That I really like.  So I took my drawings and cut the same grooves into the big piece that you see.  Nothing has been soldered yet as I have to make duplicate pieces of rod & tube to match the first.  I'm confident when done that the 2 halves will be the same and I can start the assembly in earnest.  Cheers, Tim

DSC 0004

Carefull with that MDF!  Some of that has some really nasty chemicals that come off when burned!  Particularly cyanide and formaldehyde.  The stuff that comes in from overseas can really get toxic in a hurry.  Don't breath it if you can avoid it.  A good resistance soldering unit can cut down on fumes quite a bit.  Might be worth looking into if you are going to be doing this much soldering.

Edited by Pete J.

Thanks for the heads-up Pete.  I typically wear a respirator when I solder but still good info.  I have a resistance unit but I'm doing it this way to avoid any contact with the pieces themselves to eliminate any chance of movement.  cheers, tim

Thanks for the heads-up Pete.  I typically wear a respirator when I solder but still good info.  I have a resistance unit but I'm doing it this way to avoid any contact with the pieces themselves to eliminate any chance of movement.  cheers, tim

Good deal!  You never know what someone else doesn't know and I like my friend alive and well!

love the frame tim. tubing looks to be the correct size and the placement of the uprights looks good too. how do you do it? correct size , placement and nothing is upside down. blasphemy i say. header flanges looks sweet too. are you doing zoomies like in the pic? or are you choosing to do something different?

Thanks Pete & Dave.  Dave, I'll be doing really short zoomies that I want to just clear the sides of the firewall.  The mocked up one I made has about 4 to 5mm clearance.  Looks pretty cool with the 30 degree swept back I'm going to use.  More on that soon.  

Today I got the side rails of the chassis soldered up. They are an excellent match that I attribute to the jig.  I purposely left the main rails a tad longer in the front and back so I could tape the ends down in the jig while soldering.  Clean-up was very fast and the joints are some of the best I've gotten yet.  A couple pics, cheers

DSC 0015

Edited by Codi

My, my, my that frame is beautiful and so symmetrical. You should consider selling those jigs. I'd be interested in a set.

How did you clean up your solder joints differently since you said they were some of the best ones yet? I use a new X-Acto #11 blade and cut the excess solder off. It doesn't mar the brass since its so much harder than the solder. Then clean up with narrow sanding sticks.

Totally impressed as I am with each one of your updates Tim.

Edited by gasser59

Many many thanks gentlemen.  I wanted to answer Brads question.  When I pulled each side out of the jig when finished, I just washed it with Dawn to get the majority of the flux etc. off and then took a dremel polishing wheel to it while laying it flat on a wood block.  Few minutes each side and they were done.  No filing, sanding sticks etc. which was the goal when I tried this method.  I used the smallest benz0matic mini torch which I noticed Dave had on his desk and uses.  $15. at the hardware store.  Count me a fan.   Cheers, tim

Before I machine some simple alum. brackets to support the chassis I wanted to get a quick look at where I'm at.  These mock-up picks are for Dave (comp1839).  The slicks are sticking out about 6.0mm to far yet as I have the plastic bracket pushing it outward from the body.  Therefore the front wheel / tire will be moved inward as well.  The body will get a few tweeks with regards to the body height but by and large this is pretty close to where the build is headed.  The pics with the engine show the 3D printed blower manifold and supercharger / enderle setup that Chris Sobak was kind enough to send my way.  I am going to use the 3D printed manifold but try to machine the blower.  The Enderle is only their for perspective as I'm going the Crower 8 port setup instead and will fabricate that too.   ENJOY DAVE!!!!!!

DSC 0070

DSC 0094

DSC 0097

DSC 0105

DSC 0042

DSC 0036

DSC 0008

Incredulous Tim. That is so sweeeet. The front rims came out so nice. I really like the look of those - so light-weight and precise. Curious how you are going to do the front axle with all of its hardware.

So glad Dave asked for a mock-up.

Edited by gasser59

OH...................MY..................GOODNESS, GRACIUOS!!!!!!!!!!      well tim, i'd have to say after all of the conversations on what "look" you were going for, i believe you have sucessfully achieved "IT".   the quick change just looks so incredibly massive in there.    beautious, maximus!      the body, the stance, the wheel combo, the engine, the chassis.      just stellar craftsmanship!!!!!!!!

Tim... what more can I say that has already been said. That mock up looks Incredible!!! Top Notch work right there my friend. I am loving it :wub:. I am am so glad that the manifold worked out and fit perfectly. It is great to finally see a pic of the printed part. This mock up just looks nasty and that engine will sure be shown off sitting all out in the open like that. This is just one Bad Ass Build!!!