Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Encouraging comments from each of you, today was day 1 of 5 day of great paint weather now.  I know it's not much but after too many delays, I actually have the chassis in primer sitting in the dehyrator. Tomorrow color, then Saturday should be clear.   Excited now to really move on with it.   Cheers again to all that have followed and commented.   Tim

image.png.70a6f870d59505eac95ca72b9ad52122.png

Tim... major props and congrats!! I know this is such a huge Milestone on this gorgeous build. You should feel very proud. The primer looks great. I know you have to be feeling great getting some paint on it. I can relate when you been working on things for years to finally see it all coming together. I can not wait to see the paint on it. Keep up the great work my friend, Cheers!!

John, I had to laugh at myself when I read your post my first thought was John would have had it painted 5 different shades of pearl, metal flake, pinstripes, flames, fogged and who knows what else. You're at one end of the paint spectrum but somebody has to be at the other.   I think I know which end we both stand.  ;)  Thanks again for your insights and suggestions you've given me. 

Chris, thanks man.  I know you can appreciate where my mental state is on this build right now and this seemingly minor step was a big one for me.  What you can't see is the 26 different places wherein I had to mask it off, it will be obvious when I it completely painted.  Tolerances are so tight on 1/25th that the thickness of the paint (although thin) will impede assembly.   Sooo......

Lou S & Bruce, thanks fellas.  White on brass was a big change in appearance & it will be quite different when I spray it gunmetal.  I can see it in my head with certain bits and pieces on it already.   Cheers!!!

Tim, just caught up on your work!  I love the photos of all the parts.  I know it would not make sense to do it, but it would be jaw dropping to just take the parts and mount them in a picture frame like Tamiya use to.  It is hard to appreciate them individually when they are all put together.  

I also know it has to be done,

but it breaks my heart to see that gorgeous frame in paint!  Your metal work is stunning!  Too bad there isn't some way to have it painted and not painted.  

Excellent work my friend.

Hi Mike, you should see it in gunmetal.  So far so good today I'll get the clear on it and then share pics.  I think you'll like how it turns out.

Dave, oh you always tread that fine line don't ya'?  :D  Always did appreciate you're sense of humor.   I'll give you a call in the coming week to catch up with you too btw! 

Pete, thank you sir. My intent is to have a build book so there will be "before and after" pics showing the brass chassis.  What I think you'll find interesting is the difference between a plastic funny car chassis that I experimented with for color choice. You can really appreciate the detail of the brass chassis when they're side by side.  As you know I did the brass for 2 primary reasons. The weight of all the metal machined components etc. hanging off and on it dictated a strong chassis was necessary and  I wanted to get close to the true scale & appearance for 1/25th.  In a couple days when I take some pics, I'll share the side by side of the two.

Art,  I painted the chassis with decanted Tamiya fine white primer for plastic and metal.  The gunmetal color is Alclad's and the clear will be decanted Tamiya semi-gloss clear.  Hope that helps.  Cheers all!

Hey Dave, no, no it doesn't.  I've stripped the chassis twice of the tamiya so I read a bit on this forum about the experiences of those using duplicolor.  I sprayed their self etching primer and matt black so far which I'll test for durability in the morn.  Lays down nice on the brass I even though I don't like their nozzles. Sprayed it right from the can too.    If it passes the durability test I'm going to spray it with the tamiya semi-gloss lacquer for final finish.  We'll see but this too has been a learning curve.   I would be disappointed at this point if it wasn't.   I think.   cheers

Hi Erroll,

The chassis was cleaned with my dremel brush,  then steel wool, 000 grit I believe and also in the nooks and crannies with an asbestos brush.  Cleaned it thoroughly with soft scrub and then dawn dish liquid.......rinsed thoroughly with clean cold water and blown off immediately with my airbrush.  I'm confident the surface had nothing to do with it.  Bare brass like this requires an etching type primer. I just checked my experiment from yesterday and it was perfect.  Didn't cheap or peel off whatsoever.  Seems tough as nails.  I'm cleaning up the chassis one last time, I've decanted the duplicolor etching primer to spray through my airbrush (Art Anderson provided some great insights on a blog that I found on-line) that should permit me to airbrush it (like I said, I don't care for the duplicolor spray can nozzles) so I can control it the best way possible.

We'll see........the "experiment" went well so I'm very encouraged I'm onto the right product for the task at hand.  Cheers!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally.  After stripping the chassis 3 times I got it done. Paint is duplicolor etching primer, duplicolor universal matt black and tamiya ts79 semi-gloss clear.  Stuff is tough too.  I attempted several times to apply this by decanting it and using my air brush.  Bad results but I think it was down to the humidity.  Last attempt I sprayed it straight from the rattle cans, 70 degree temp and 39% humidity.  The humidity seems to be the critical number.  I won't bother spraying it again unless the heats at 70 or more and the humidity is 50% or less.  cheers, tim

This pic is the most accurate for the true color btw.

image.png.b46dfab4af135532ab5b2f2438f04d37.png

image.png.a16790e8e49b52416e34d69479277565.png

image.png.23e02271bc3cedcf8f418458b4a241d7.png