Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Tim, great work!!!  I'm very impressed by what you've done.  I'm in the process of building a brass dirt late model chassis & I was wondering what you use to keep your brass so clean & shiny.  I use an acid flux & when I'm finished for the day I use Scrubbing Bubbles to clean away any excess flux.  At that point, the chassis is nice & shiny but over the next few days it begins to dull. 

John, Brad, Chris, Dave & Dave -  Thanks, this stuff is taking loads of time.  Made fittings for the bottles today and some other dumb stuff and it took me 3 hours at the bench.   Can't wait to get onto getting the body mounted etc.  

Art, too funny sir, I literally laughed out loud when I read your post

Jim, I just wash the chassis after each solder session with dawn dish liquid and rinse well with cold water & immediately blow it off with my air brush.  Then I'll go over it lightly with a piece of fine steel wool and or a used dremel polishing wheel, the extra fine variety.   Stays pretty decent for several weeks at a time that way for me.   I just try to keep it shiny to ensure that any and all flux is removed from the chassis after each session.  That stuff can be nasty as you know.  Hope this helps, tim

Tim... what a freaking incredible update my Friend!!! It may of taken way too long in your opinion but the outcome is so worth it on these intricate parts you are machining. Wish I had that skill for sure. You are always amazing me with your updates. Keep them coming. 

outstanding work my friend! Can't say enough about the way this thing is coming out! I haven't said much and mostly lurking due to some constraints on my time but I have been keeping track of a couple of peoples projects and this is one of them!

Paul

Sorry for the late reply guys.  I did want to acknowledge everyone for the sentiments expressed.  No pics today.  I've been going back and tweaking parts and brackets in anticipation of assembly. There is no wasted space and even 1/32' of an inch makes all the difference in many instances in what goes where etc. and the order of assembly will be critical as some pieces MUST go on/in before others or it just won't happen.  Next week I'll start the body & chassis bracing / brackets so I can begin assembly shortly afterwards.  A lot of plating and parts detailing has to happen first.  I'll take some pics of all the pieces for the car in one shot and then do a final order of assembly list.  Again, thank you!   Tim

Thanks Greg, thought I'd post a couple pics of whats been taking me so long.  Making the tank support struts & fuel line from the tank to the pump was the better part of a day.  Getting a radius to work for the fuel line was a pain.  Finally I inserted .6mm into .9mm and inserted that into 1.2mm s/steel tube, heated it in the middle with a torch and got the necessary radius to make it work without crimping.  A LOT of experimenting went into that to make it work out.   The spring inside the tube trick didn't work as it's too tight there.  Picture a 3/4" square cube inside the frame rails and then jamming the fuel & oil lines, oil filters and the pump all within a centimeter of the tank.  Ugh is all I can say but it all works now & I've got the assembly ordered figured out.  cheers, tim

DSC 0001

The clamps etc. on the fuel line are not in place yet, this is just a fitment mock-up as an fyi. 

DSC 0002

Tim.... That is some crazy insane detail my Brother!! You do not know how much respect I have for your to the extent of detail you have been putting into this epic build. I know all too well how much work it is just to do some line. You would think that its simple but it ends up turning into a week long project...lol. I have been Fighting some braided lines on the F/C this past week that are driving me nuts but going to have them on hopefully in the next few days. Keep doing what you are doing, I am loving the progress :wub:

simply awesome tim!!!  can i hire you to come work on my '37?   i'm looking at the detail in the tank supports...........the effort you put into them is hard to believe.  totally in tune with the project.  the whole thing is really coming together SUPER CLEAN!!!!!

tomorrow's my baby's big day .....wish me luck!...............gonna need it.

Thank you Chris, hope you post your updates soon on the Vega, been a while and that punch list IS getting shorter.   

Dave, thanks but you'd fire me as I'm too slow as you've seen.  Let us know how YOU made out btw..........that's got to be super exciting at this juncture.  I forgot though, how much are you charging for rides again?   :D

Davewilly, thanks too and to each of you that follows this thread, I'd like to wish you a HAPPY THANKSGIVING with your friends and family!!!