Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Soldering this thing up has not been fun. I only have the "spines" and rear cover to put on yet, and then plating time.  I've been on this for more than 3 weeks now and I'm more than ready to move on from it.  At least 70 hours in it when all said and done. cheers, tim

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG REAR END PART 8 046

As mentioned above, the rear cover has not been soldered on yet.

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG REAR END PART 8 065

Tim... That there is some incredible and admirable work my friend. I am loving it. :wub: I can see how you have so many hours into it and I can only tell you that the hours have paid off because its perfect. You have me itching to see this thing plated and when it turns out great from the plating I know I am going to want to know the secret as I have been having a real hard time using the plating system I have from Caswell on a few parts I have tired it on. I probably need to pull my plating kit out and experiment with a few pieces. I am already looking forward to your next update.

I can believe that you have 70 hours in that rear. Hut if it easy we would all be doing ir. Amazing work.

I can.... Knowing what goes in to the machining process and the time to set things up. Let alone Tim probably spent a lot of time drawing things up to be able to machine it. I wish I could do this kind of work :D

Dave, thanks for teaching me everything I know.  I've said too many times that its more important to have a good mentor than anything else when learning a new skill such as machining.  Always striving for more.  The Donovan will be next after I get some drawings done.   Again, thanks!!  

Chris, you're absolutely right.  A lot of research and time goes into any part before putting tool to metal. Especially when I have to get "creative" in how to do a setup to achieve a particular result.  I'm so much better at puzzles now than I was before taking up machining.  :) 

Thanks Bob. 

Mike, thanks man. I'm still quite the newby at it but I believe I'm getting better at it with each new part.  To stay grounded, I just go check out Dave's (comp1839) photo bucket for inspiration and ideas and then i "bug" him endlessly.  Poor dude!  I always seem to stumble across something new that hes made that just blows me away.  

Cheers

Thanks Tony, but I'm not in Dave's league, or zip code or.....you get the idea.   I got the rascal soldered up and done today.  Other than adding the necessary bolts to it and the pinion cover and plating, it's done.  8 hours of soldering / finessing the last few bits today to get it to this point.  cheers everyone.

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG COMPLETED REAR END 041

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG COMPLETED REAR END 053

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG COMPLETED REAR END 062

Tim... what more can I say but that is one Sexy Rear End :wub:. I can only imagine what it will look like once it is plated. That is one piece that is  a work of art. All of those long and hard hours have totally paid off 10 fold. Be very proud of that work you have done there. I can only imagine what the rest of the car is going to look like. I will be honest I would love to see what you could do in 1/16th Scale B) :D

Hope everyone had an enjoyable Memorial Day weekend.  I spent some time doing drawing to get the block / engine going.  Dave's 417 Donovan info that he shared with me was of tremendous help and his ideas on how he did HIS Donovan were even more helpful.  I've blatantly copied ( I prefer "adopted") some of his machining tricks too. Since this will be my first attempt at machining all or most of an engine, I wanted to proof out my numbers and even how to setup certain operations / tools to get the block done.  I used Renshape for this block as practice for the real deal in aluminum.  I was happy with how the proto turned out and with just a few tweeks, I'm confident I can pull off a reasonable version in metal. Can't wait to get to the heads and valve covers for this engine.  Next is to solder the girdle together and plate it and continue doing drawings for more engine parts. 

Joe, you've not lost your humor and I truly enjoyed that laugh as well.  THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!   cheers, tim

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG ENGINE BLOCK PROTO 012

One of Dave's tricks of the trade wherein how to get the ribs onto the block...........simple but VERY effective. 

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG ENGINE BLOCK PROTO 008

To the best of my knowledge there are no 417 Donovan engines in 1/25th out there and the one I have was from a vintage kit. It has more than a few errors in its design / dimensions. Mine isn't perfect but I can say it is / will be better than the kit piece. 

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG ENGINE BLOCK PROTO 024