Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Chris, I just drilled it out from the other side with a pin vice after it was parted off.  Then lightly buffed it with a dremel wire wheel.

Today I got the lifter valley cover made.  Wanted something a little different so I put the ribs on a 45 degree angle.  The 2mm hole you see if for oil fill, I have to make a simple cap for it.  Cheers, tim

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG LIFTER VALLEY COVER 015

The ribs are 1/64" btw and the piece is .6mm thick.

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG LIFTER VALLEY COVER 026

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG LIFTER VALLEY COVER 004

Do you have plans for cutting a gasket for under the oil pan and the valley cover? Seems like it would be fairly easy to do with your skills. I think the most challenging part would be finding the right material to use.

Thank you everyone.  The heads & valve covers are next and thankfully I get to visit with Dave on Friday as I have some questions on how best to machine them and check his 37' Chevy build as well.  It's coming along quickly and is getting nastier looking with each update.  I'm also not sure whether to do a Vertex mag or Cirello "Monster".  I like the look of the Cirello, we'll see.

To answer a few questions:

Marlowe, I'm going to make the Donovan "high rise" blower manifold.  It's subtly different from the cragar and others but it shows more of the valley cover.

Randy, yes.  Won't "pin" the valley cover, but everything else will be.....at least all of the bigger bits.

Brad, I'm not quite there yet, but I'll just do the oil pan and head gaskets. 

Cheers, Tim

Tim.... that is a killer looking valley cover. That turned out very nice. I am very impressed by it. I can't wait to see you start on the heads and valve covers. I am going to have to take notes ?. 

Edited by Mooneyzs

Thanks Chris.  I am anxious to get the next couple of parts made, that should really set it off.  Took a little time to put the ribs in the block.  A small step but gives the Donovan one of its identifier traits. chip, chip, chip..............cheers

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG DONOVAN RIBS 060

Tim... That block is a work of art and looks great with those ribs and the Valley cover on it. Man you do some nice work. I am really excited about how you are going to machine your heads and valve covers. I will be taking notes of those for sure. Looking forward to your next update.

beautiful work Tim!!!!!!!!!

just to clarify, for those who don't know......C.N.C. stands for Computer Numeric Control....... the ONLY computer controlling Tim's milling machine is the one between his ears. he does not program a machine, then turn it on and let it run the program. he does the research, draws a blueprint and machines the part......BY  HAND.     it is more than just art for those who know and understand the process.

Ahhh, Joe....now why would you try to set expectations higher for me........   :D

Dave, thank you for the detailed explanation of how the process works.  I'll post a pic today to kind of give an idea of the "madness" that lurks between the ears. 

Appreciate all of the kind words and interest guys.  I had a chance to recently visit with Dave and learned a bunch as usual, but more importantly, had some great chuckles with a class act.  He's just a "good guy" in my book.   The heads as mentioned are/were next but sometimes we get "sidetracked" right guys?!  I had a real interest in trying to make an accurate Cerillo Monster Mag for the car and I saw the thing as a challenge that I just couldn't resist.  It will be made with separate halves of the body, the distributor cap and the shaft itself to put it all together.  Here's a pic of the real deal.

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG MONSTER MAG 010

After doing some research, i drew up the different portions of what I have to machine.  The body as you can see has a crackle, hemi head type texture.  I'm going to media blast that portion before painting (chemically dipping perhaps?) it matt black.  The PINK you see high lighted in the pic is a button that I didn't want to forget to drill for.

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG MONSTER MAG 031

On the mill.  This is the upper portion of the body as I call it.  I had to put machine a flange in it to replicate the halves of the body. 

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG MONSTER MAG 004

Last pic, you'll see a resin piece that was a reasonable facsimile, but there is detail that I wanted to include that the resin piece just wouldn't do for me.  Next I'll machine the bottom half of the body, make the shaft and the distributor cap.  For me the cool part was getting the top half of the body done, the rest is fairly straightforward now and I'm confident I can make this piece and can envision what it will look like already.  Should be a cool detail for the engine when all is said and done.  cheers, tim 

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG MONSTER MAG 026

Hi Tim,

It appears I missed an update with the ribs!!!!   They definitely give the block the proper look, well done sir.  

Thank you for posting the reference and then your drawings and finally the machining.  Of course it is a bit scary to get a glimpse of how your mind works:D 

This is an awesome update!

Randy

Thanks Dave & Dave.......and Randy too!!!   Some days are more productive than others and today was a good one. Got most of the mag done except for the finish and some detailing.  cheers, tim

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG MONSTER MAG 2 005

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG MONSTER MAG 2 019

Gratuitous pencil shot

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG MONSTER MAG 2 032

As you can see it's not assembled yet but I wanted to share a pic next to the resin piece.

REAR ENGINED MUSTANG MONSTER MAG 2 057