Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Thanks to one and all for the posted comments & continued interest in the build.  The front suspension is done after more than a month of work on it. She sits level & I'll drop some .9mm stainless steel tube down the center of each spindle, then I have some 1cm. long .6mm threaded stainless rod & nuts that I'll cut to length to secure the top and bottoms of the spindles.  Yes, the steering bracket has to be completed yet but when I work on the body & firewall I'll address it at that time. cheers, tim

DSC 0008

DSC 0014

DSC 0032

DSC 0099

DSC 0102

DSC 0133

Edited by Codi

Still here Brad, snuck off with Dave to the NNL  East show. My first in 40+ years and really enjoyed it. I met Leonard as well....super nice guy and he had his Camaro there. 

Wait I missed you there?    bummer!   It would have been nice to actually meet.    ... also this entire thing is just off the charts cool!    That mockup is just mindblowing

Edited by Impalow

OMG...I just wet myself. I still can't believe this is 1/24th scale. Pure perfection there Tim. I'll bet you're feeling pretty good about the whole front assembly. Going to be a real shame for this to be painted and cover all of this beautiful metal work up.

Pete, thanks so much, after attending the NNL East, I want to be sure to make the GSL someday.   I won't make it this year, but 2019 would be a possibility and I'd like to exhibit this car for sure. 
How are you making out btw on the engines?    Updates soon? 

Eric, hey there, I was hoping we'd meet at the show but I did get the opportunity to see your beautiful artdeco streamliner.  That's a killer build sir.  Your ability to build matches your imagination.  Did you win any awards for it at the NNL? 

Brad, thanks sir.  I'm planning on nickel plating the axle & spindles but the rest of the frame will be painted.  I'll have a build book on it so I'll have some record of what lays beneath the paint.  ;)

Davewilly, I posted a pic below with a penny for scale.  I was pleased after getting it mocked-up how close it turned out to the pic of the 1:1 car I shared at the beginning of this part of the car.  Thanks!

Dave, shame on you, you forget I've seen you Topo & Blitzkrieg altereds.   Thanks so much all the same.

Mike, thanks man, see the pic below.  There is so many bits & pieces crammed in there that I had to write down the order of the "jig-saw" puzzle to be able to come back and do the final assembly. 

DSC 0004

Pete, thanks so much, after attending the NNL East, I want to be sure to make the GSL someday.   I won't make it this year, but 2019 would be a possibility and I'd like to exhibit this car for sure.

Eric, hey there, I was hoping we'd meet at the show but I did get the opportunity to see your beautiful artdeco streamliner.  That's a killer build sir.  Your ability to build matches your imagination.  Did you win any awards for it at the NNL?

Thank you for the compliment Tim!   Somehow/Someway I managed to take home best of show at the NNL...  Im pretty sure I floated out of there, and my feet still havent touched the ground.   I was in total shock... with the quality of work that was there, it really caught me off guard.    I want to hit up GSL someday as well...thinking maybe here in the next couple years... just take all my stuff and head out there. 

I would love to see this car in person, it looks so good in photos.. I can only imagine.   

Tim, I've been making things to make things.  I thought you might find these useful so here is a photo.  I have been having issued with small parts being to small to level with parallels.  I spoke with Pam over at Sherline and she suggested I make a set of step jaws.  Basically, I made a pair of soft jaws with 7075 aluminum and the grooved two steps in them with an end mill that were parallel.  This gives me a step to set the part on and it will be level with the bed.  This way i don't have to mess around with parallels.  I chose two steps but am considering making a single step about 1/32" across for tiny parts.  Incidentally, I went to sherline to get the dimensions of the jaws for drilling the holes and would be happy to share a copy of the blueprints that I got if you would like them.   

STEP JAWS.jpg

Edited by Pete J.

Thank you Scott.  It will be painted, just not sure what color just yet.  

Eric, a truly deserved win for you.  The competition was pretty strong among the best builds and you have to be proud with Best in Show!   I'm sure we'll meet at some future show. 

Randy, thank you as well........I'm hoping we're going to have some/any kind of update on one of your current builds soon.....hint - hint. 

Pete, thanks for sharing......gotta agree the parallels can be annoying but I use a heavier machinist vice and they served me pretty well on the heads & valve covers on the engine.  Now, for smaller parts, well, something like those jaws could come in quite handy.  I'll have to play around with making a pair of those when I have a moment and want to experiment. 

The 2 pics I'm sharing today are of the Crower 8 port that I want to replicate but I won't be putting a scoop on it as I want the butterflies & linkage to be exposed.  I've got a couple plans on how to approach making this and this is plan "A".  I have some thin wall brass tubing that should arrive soon to see if this plan will work.  The pic of the 1:1 is from Mike Garland that he took last year & was among a slew of great pics of the Tramp itself.  Thanks again Mike.  

THE TRAMP GARLAND

Start of the base in brass.  To replicate certain aspects of the intake, I will have to solder some things & wanted to try this approach.

DSC 0009

Got a "base" removed with the slitting saw.  Gives a better idea. 

DSC 0003

This pic shows blue marker on the sides that I will remove .2mm from each side once the injector tubes are soldered in place.  At least that's the plan.....to be able to part the base off from the mill I had to leave some material in place.  The actual injection tubes are almost to the very edge of the base on the 1:1. 

DSC 0009

Edited by Codi

Hey Dave, thanks for the encouragement.  I won't know if it's right until I get it actually soldered, but I am more confident if it doesn't work out, plan B will be a pretty good substitute.  Time will tell.

Thanks John, saw all of the builds you took to GSL and your picture on the big screen while you were picking up a bunch of awards. Congratulations!!!  

Randy, thanks man, as I mentioned to Dave, we'll have to see when its completed. Your weber carb for the GT40 was plenty of inspiration to try this and even if I get it where I want it to be, it will never hold a candle to that gorgeous 4 weber intake of yours. 

Today I spent 5 hours just exploring various setups etc. to make the injector tubes.  Each has to be drilled for a fuel line at the bottom facing outward and the 2 butterfly shafts that run the length.  Ideally, I would have been able to machine the tubes, solder them to the base & then drill them all the way through.  My problem is the drill bit is a #78 which I'm concerned about getting through all of it from 1 end to the other.   So, I set up to drill each tube individually.  The 3 crude tubes you see in the foreground have .4mm stainless steel rod through them to check alignment during the test and to confirm that I could replicate the height of each so they match.  The tall tubes in the base were a simple mock-up & have the proper tube in them.  After drilling the necessary holes  I'll cut them off at approx. 3.3mm.  The base is .5mm in thickness.   I'm hopeful I can get the tubes drilled and soldered onto the base by the end of the week.........

DSC 0002DSC 0016

Tim... it's been a while since I have checked in and holy smokes i sure have missed alot on this awesome build while I was trying to get things done for GSL. What you have done with that front end... wow my friend, much respect for the hard work and the quality of the craftsmanship you have done here. You have raised the bar so high for the rest of us. This is one amazing build and I am not sure I should even post pics of the funny car seeing these latest updates... lol.  Your are one heck of a builder that's for sure. Looking forward to your next you have in store for us

Thank you Chris.  I managed to get the tubes drilled and properly aligned.  The blower is from the parts bin and will not be used on the car btw.  Just a mock-up.  I'm figuring I'm about half way done on the intake.  Hope to get some more bench time over the next few days.  At this point everything lines up well and fits properly.  cheers, tim

The butterflies will be up near the top of the tubes like the 1:1.  I didn't appreciate how high up they're truly located till I saw a particular pic that Dave(comp1839) shared with me.  Thanks Dave!! 

DSC 0019

DSC 0022

The progress on this is glorious Tim. I don't think I've used that adjective in this thread before and I'm quickly running out of words. Really interested in seeing how you do the butterfies. I'm in the front row center with my popcorn and notepad.

Thanks Brad, Chris & Mike.........today I confirmed certain details I want to add and how to fabricate them.  Made 1 butterfly wherein I took a 1/64" ball mill and cut a groove down the center of an alum. rod and inserted it into the injector tube.  It looks good when it's snugged up nice & tight to the throttle linkage rod.  7 more to go.  You'll note too in the pic I inserted s/steel tube where the fuel lines will go.  I wanted to be sure it was all nice & square before I sweat solder the entire thing & the pic gives a good idea how high up the butterfly sits.   cheers

Edited by Codi