Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bantam Fuel Altered - New pics 1-7

Codi

Bob, thanks sir for the continued interest in the car...........I'm hoping everyone can be a bit patient yet as I entering the home stretch on it.  

ClayK, funny, I was just thinking about you and your Old Master build you had started.  Hope you jump back on that at some point.  Thanks as well for commenting and following along.  

Jesse(DaddyFink) that brief video made me lol.   thanks for that one!

A/FX(JC) thanks for commenting..........fan of your work as well, your builds are always super clean.

Ace-Garageguy (Bill) Coming from an engineer, I truly appreciate your comments too.  I think if given the chance I would have enjoyed a career in engineering myself.  My daughter is going to pursue an engineering degree in college which put a smile on my face.   Thanks again Bill.

John (Mr. Teresi) "home stretch".............made me ponder that one and the only thing that comes to mind is my home stretch seems to be as long as the Bonneville Salt Flats.......;)  I WILL get her done this year...........thanks too John.

Scott, thanks for following and encouragement to finish this one.

PeteJ. This one will see a few shows in her future....I'll let you know and it would be great to meet you too some day.  

Cheers to all,   Tim

Force, glad you like the build.  I admit the material takes longer to craft and the chassis will be painted but using the brass & stainless steel lets me get as close to scale in 1/25th that I can.  Thanks again.

GoatGuy, appreciate your thoughts too........nice to hear too how you're progressing with some of your new tools and look forward to seeing what you're making.........posting soon?

Dave, well, you're just wrong.  I saw what you've gotten done on the 37' and your new motor.  Sheesh is all I got. I know the weather has been ugly here in Pa. but just think, you're only weeks away from getting that beast back out on the street.   Oh yeah!  

cheers fellas!

On 4/4/2018 at 8:54 PM, bobthehobbyguy said:

That frame is stunning. Great update

Thats an understatement.

To you guys that go this far in detail is beyond words to me and my hats off to you all.

I simply no longer have the time or patience to do something like this. So I'll just live vicariously thru each of your builds.

Tim... This is unbelievable my friend. Man I am speechless. The quality of your craftsmanship and talent is out of this world. I am loving this update. Everything is so precise and clean. This thing is a Beast!!. Keep up the Awesome Work. 

Thanks for the "invite" Dave.  I DO want a ride and will drop by this summer.  Don't have any freckles but if you insist, I'll color some on before I stop by then we'll see what she can do.   tee-hee

Bill, "time or patience"...........it's a struggle on this build too for me at this point.  That's why I'm determined to keep my head down and slog through it at times right now.  This build will get done. Thanks !! 

Chris, thanks............as always for the support and sentiments.

RandyD - always great to hear from you and your thoughts on the build. I'm STILL President of the RandyD. fan club and I've been telling all of your fans to just be patient a little while longer for updates on the Birdcage & GT-40............you sir have some truly unearthly skills.     Cheers fellas! 

Made some progress on the body tins. I went to Chris Sobaks funny car thread and pages 19 thru 21 are very helpful to say the least.  Brad Norgard & Dave Ryberg each provided me with printers plate to attempt these.  Thank you in advance......I think.........I wanted to put a bead roll in them and had to experiment like the others. Having the right rubber density, pen diameter & stencil to follow are very important.  This pic is my first attempt at one after a LOT of experimentation.  I'm okay with it but the depth of the bead roll is too deep and wide.  I'm going to re do it and hope to get a more refined / scale like effect.  Once I get this right, I'll post a pick of the pieces I used & fabricated myself to do them.  Just a bit more info to add to everything that Chris provided in his thread.  Cheers, Tim

image.png.c5925188755d73e8d0cf6c5f380d2f74.png

Tim... That is freaking gorgeous for sure and I am loving it. You will have to let me know what durometer of rubber you used. I have to think way back when I did mine and I just found what I had laying around. I really like your idea of making a pattern you trace. You made that much easier because I used a ruler and drew mine on and whet line by line using the ruler as a guide. as you I need to experiment more with the pen diameter because I think mine may of been a tad big but was happy with the results. This build just continues to get better with each and every post. Can't wait to see what you share with us next.

Man that's awesome!    I'm doing some 1:1 bead-rolling for the first time and I wish my experimental results looked like yours.  Very cool stuff!      Please keep us in the loop as you perfect this technique, I would like to give it a shot at some point.

Thanks Chris, Brad & Eric...............yoiu can't believe how much of the printer plate I went through to get to this point.  Long story to make something seemingly straightforward.  Many variables to consider when making these.  I was so impressed with how Chris' tins turned out on his Vega that I thought I'd try.  After finally getting the write combo of material to press onto, the correct pen size and how to make the template properly, I realized that the way I was trying to make them wasn't feasible.  The material would bend to some degree and whenever I tried to straighten them out I'd get minor crimp marks in the plate that couldn't be removed since the plate is so thin. (.26mm btw)  Finally figured out that I had to emboss a larger size piece (2" x 2") then shape and size the panel around that.  Keeping the edges straight was easier when using a wood block v. metal too.  Enough of that.  I'll make the floor tin and then a bell housing shroud and this part of the build up.  Cheers, Tim

The upside down drywall trough is what I used to emboss upon in this pic.  This is just part of the mess I created this past week during my experimentation. 

image.png.4db34fb8836754dfe524518775b18bc0.png

The aluminum shaped template was a failure.  Tracing around was hit or miss. I found that even the right depth of material to trace around helped. I used the aluminum piece to make the clear plastic template that you see. Much easier to trace around it.  You can see some of my early failures in the bottom of the pic.

image.png.4d2d2c185029166567bf754528c4ed42.png

I've got to drill the panels and put the PE dzus fasteners on them and the chassis................KUDOS to Chris for the detail he put into his.  That was crazy............I won't be doing that.   Sorry for the quality of some of the pics as they're washed out a bit and you can't really see the detail of the panels for the most part.  They do look good and I'm glad I took the time to do them after all.  I'll include them with the car when displayed but they'll be off the car as I want to expose the car and it's detail as much as possible. 

image.png.c2a9b285d4fb594be51055d429ab9ba6.png

image.png.7d6044d49057de4958a9159a00413b37.png

image.png.fa9629fbd79eae6254471c6e9fbbe85f.png

Tim... Love seeing your Bench :wub:. You got a nice set up there My Friend!! Gotta love the Tin work Buddy and glad to see you stick it thru like I did, I couldn't tell you how many I made. I know it took me a few tries with my first set then to only have to go back and redo them when I had to move the motor out 1/2"  which changed the chassis and ment new tin work had to be redone. This is one Incredible and Mind Blowing builds for sure. Still amazes me that this is only 1/25th scale, sometimes I can't get over that. Gorgeous work!!

The printer plate is just a thin sheet of aluminum used in an offset printer, go to your local printer and see if they have any old used ones you can have.
Otherwise you can use an aluminum soda can or use the material from disposable aluminum foil pans or serving trays wich is thinner than the cans but holds the shapes good, there are some on the market with quite large flat surfaces one can cut out and use.

John, thanks buddy.  Congrats too on your the awards won at the recent Desert Scale Classic........most deserving.

Chris, thanks sir.  You were the inspiration and the tips you shared were most helpful.  btw, you ought to see the other 2 benches.........they're as bad as the one I shared.  :blink:  Time for some "spring cleaning".

Jim, I don't know the answer but "Force" I believe has answered your question.  Mine was given to me by GoatGuy and Brad.    Good luck too!    cheers everyone, Tim

Clutch can shroud is now done.  Made from .005" brass sheet but I'm not sure whether I'll plate or paint it. The floor pan is next, some tabs to the chassis, seat belts and then ready to paint/assemble it.  cheers, tim

image.png.cf931591c57d50be609e4dce11f0b73c.png

image.png.106eabcf661a9952af0ef813bdbd4534.png

image.png.42d5b1b050454131a5e24546ca7dce29.png

Absolutely beautiful Tim

Love the scallops around the firewallB)

Not to be picky, but that rubber based tool your using, is called a float, its for applying grout to ceramic tiles... (just a little info floating at the top of my cesspool of knowledge)

Keep up the awesome work brother

Cheers