Model Cars Magazine Forum

Information on Monogram's Exotics Series

4 hours ago, Motor City said:

At that time, the only other intermediate-sized models were MPC's Monte Carlo and Monaco.  Do you recall how it was decided to pick that model?  I thought it was a great choice.

Hi Jim... Happy Thanksgiving!!  During the process of researching the Rollston-bodied Duesenberg J that was owned by Terry Adderley north of Detroit, I asked him if he knew anyone at GM or Ford who may be a good contact for model input.. he asked for my phone number.. several days later, a call came in from GM DEsign and the caller was a truly dedicated model enthusiast who "took me under his wing" and guided us through a number of fascinating GM designs that enabled Monogram to be "ahead of our competitors... honestly, he enjoyed it as much or more than we did.... it was Chuck Jordan!   I do not remember if the Black Knight was a production version or sported a color scheme created by Randy Wittine or someone in the Chevy studio......  Chuck's dram was one that I shared.. a Ferrari 250 GTO better than the Aurora kit.. we gathered data from Fred Leydorf's chassis 3765 that was actually the first 4-liter,,,, it was sent to Mike Stephens at Western Models and neither of us were very pleased with the outcome.. after he retired, I hooked up with a fellow from Kyosho at the HMA Show in LA... they wanted to do a 1/18th 250 GTO..... Chuck contacted the new owner of 3765 and I researched it in April of 2001..... Kyosho sent a 1.5X wood pattern to critique and Chuck "laid his ere on it"..... there has never been a more accurate GTO Body in 1/18th scale.. EVER!!

The Porsche was the most difficult body even though we had "good lines" from Hans Ernst at Porsche AG... "Roundy bodies"... my words .. like the VW bare simply very challenging to sculpt..  The biggest change with the 911 is to junk the "one size fits all tires"... that was a budget constraint we had to deal with..ONE tire size...  There are many good tire choices these days.... BITD (back in the day), I built a race version using a set of MPC hollow tires,, the rears were from a "Dirt Modified".... I extended the rear wheel wells and they looked superb!!   The race version has the IMSA front air dam.....  Have at it!!

Terry Adderley was heavily involved in the firm his father created;  Kelly Services.. better known as "Kelly Girl"... he was a nice man and was surely "upper crust"... he was really fascinated by how we created the bodywork for the SJ Rollston Roadster.. his car was a Model J and he had thought about adding the supercharger and external exhausts.... but.was happy with the completed model built in the Monogram shop that was presented to him.. I think Genvieve Grisetta did the drawing work.. she was quite good with Classics...   Terry was a HUGE Duesenberg and Auburn enthusiass.. If you have ever been to Gilmore, he had been a strong supporter for many years.. even decades.....  It is all too easy to believe that wealthy people have an easy life, but, that is not always true.... Terry's son, Ted was raised in an exclusive world.. his grandfather read the Wall Street Journal to him and taught him how the stock market functioned... after he graduated from college, his father felt that he should make his way in the world... so, his son obtained a job in an investment firm on the 97th Floor of the North Tower (I think) of the World Trade Center.. the first 767 hit the building on the floor below the 97th.. his son perished...  The anguish was pain beyond belief.. his wife divorced him and Terry soldiered on.. I can only imagine the pain and emptiness... all the often, "we" mere mortals think people with money have it all.. until a tragedy like this occurs..... I was intrigued to read that the current auto design exhibit at Detroit Institute of art was co-sponsored by Terry's wife in his honor..... most folks see that Monogram kit as a model of a Classic American legend.. to me, it is far more based on the "back story"... so, now you know....  life is not always fair...  RAJ3

That sure is a tragic story regarding Ted Adderley.  

For those who don't know, the Gilmore Museum near Kalamazoo, Michigan is one of the best car museums in the U.S.

A new topic could be started on the Monogram Classis series (Lincoln Continental, Packard Boattail, Rolls-Royce, M-B 540K, Cord and both Duesenbergs).

• Like 1

Good morning Jim......  Often, there is so much more to a subject than folks know......  The fellow who designed the early Classics, Ken Merker, passed away two or three eyears ago... Genevieve Grisatta designed the Packard 734 and the several of the Classic "rebodies".... Clark Macomber drew the 1934 Cadillac V-16.. that kit was based upon advice from Dave Holls at GM when we could not resolve how to mold the boattail body for a 1932 Auburn..

• Like 1

I can't believe it's been since 2016 that I started this thread. I still collect these kits when I come across them. I still haven't gotten the Capri, but I have most of the others. Since Porsche's are my favorite, I have a lot of them. I currently have one 924 built and about 5 still unbuilt and the 911s I have 5 built and a whole bunch unbuilt.

In the multiple picture, the green, the yellow and the grey one are all the Monogram kits.

thumbnail.jpg

porsches.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/27/2021 at 11:44 AM, oldcarfan said:

I can't believe it's been since 2016 that I started this thread. I still collect these kits when I come across them. I still haven't gotten the Capri, but I have most of the others. Since Porsche's are my favorite, I have a lot of them. I currently have one 924 built and about 5 still unbuilt and the 911s I have 5 built and a whole bunch unbuilt.

In the multiple picture, the green, the yellow and the grey one are all the Monogram kits.

thumbnail.jpg

porsches.jpg

Well, thanks to this thread I have a Monogram Porsche 924 Turbo on the way. I scored one for $14 plus shipping on the 'Bay. Thinking two-tone Champagne Gold over Light Gunmetal with the saddle over brown interior combo. Should make for a fun quick project. 

• Like 1

WOW!!  You have the 911 "figured out" to make it look good.... I fought for bigger tires for the 911 and 450SL.. answer was "NO!"

emphatically!!   Your 911's with bigger tires look great!!  did you open up the wheel wells??   Look back in this thread at the

Martini 924 that a builder posted.. it is really NICE!!!     GOOD BUILDING!!

The bright green 911 is on some aftermarket 19 inch wheels and tires and the solid grey one is on 17 inch steel wheels and low profile tires. They are also lowered about 1/16th of an inch as well. The bright yellow one is box stock. The only body modification was removing the whale tail on the grey on to make it look more like a base model.

Interesting comment..  I look at this a bit different....  during the 1970's and 1980's, Monogram Models was fascinating family.. and i do mean FAMILY of talented people with a single purpose.. to make the best possible model kits...  During the IMSA wars, Bruce Leven's race team had a sign on the inside of their race transporter.. "Leven's Law if Engineering: You can do anything with enough time and money.. Leven's Corrollary: There is never enough time or money...  that fit then and now.... budgets were tight.... remember, in 1975, a 1/24th scale car kit sold for $5... that meant MMI sold it to wholesale for $2.25 less discounts with a profit of ab aboiut $1 +/- .    The creative group was superb... they were mostly guys who created designs, plan art, decal art, and made the pattern models and tooling cast,, and on their free time, built models, flew controline and R/C aircraft and more...  Most of those people are now gone.. a few like Marion Falconi who was a prolific designer, Ron Rowlett, John Durante are still with us....  We were blessed with a tough, dynamic leader, Tom Gannon Jr., it was an education to work with and for him.... WWII vet with an Attack Squadron that flew A-36's and A-20's in North Africa.... was a "tiger" on profit margins and led Monogram to the #1 kit manufacturer in the USA... their legacy is guys like all of you build and enjoy the fruits of their hard work!!  I am MOST PROUD of the NASCAR Series.. the first 1983 T-Bird, 1983 Buick Regal, and 1984 Chevy Monte Carlo SS.. two different chassis and lots of detail.... the removable bodies helped a lot of people understand the cars....  Those sales brought millions into Monogram for growth and new molds....  when i see a Salvino Regal, I am glad Sexton sold those tools to them.. they live on!!    just for grins, I am building a 1/24th Monogram Porsche 904 rom the slor racing parts....   Thanks Y'all!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2021 at 8:45 PM, jaymcminn said:

Well, thanks to this thread I have a Monogram Porsche 924 Turbo on the way. I scored one for $14 plus shipping on the 'Bay. Thinking two-tone Champagne Gold over Light Gunmetal with the saddle over brown interior combo. Should make for a fun quick project. 

My only issue with the 924 kit is that the bumpers don't seem to have a positive attachment. I ended up adding plastic behind to hold them in place. It's a simple and fun to build kit, the lines are good and the only other 924 I know of was a Japanese offering and I've heard it isn't accurate. 

Over the years I have collected and built all of the Monogram Classics. To this day, the Duesenberg Torpedo Phaeton is my all time favorite model kit, with the Packards (all three) right behind it. I am deeply grateful that Monogram produced these models as they are my lifeblood in the hobby.  Indeed, if I could only build and rebuild one model kit it would be the Monogram Duesenberg. I have always wondered about the back story of the metal bodied '31 Packard Phaeton and Duesenberg Murphy Speedster and why they were never reissued,  even in plastic form. That said, I built the Porsche Carrara and Mercedes 450 SL kits and loved them both. Monogram continues as my all time favorite model kit manufacturer.

14 minutes ago, Eric Macleod said:

To this day, the Duesenberg Torpedo Phaeton is my all time favorite model kit

As I have mentioned on this forum a few times, Dad very seriously broke his leg in December 1962. It was 1965 before he was healed enough to take another job. To pass the time, he did paint by number and built a few models. I grew up seeing the AMT 1949 Ford built to replicate the one my folks owned 1952-57, a Monogram Big T, an unknown aircraft carrier, and the Duesenberg Torpedo Phaeton displayed in the house. All I have left is the Ford, and I can't locate it. I want to get an early edition of the Duesenberg and build it unpainted in the tan color like Dad did. I spent a lot of time staring at it (not touching it) as a kid when I was lucky enough to get lifted up to view the mantle.

7 hours ago, Rodent said:

As I have mentioned on this forum a few times, Dad very seriously broke his leg in December 1962. It was 1965 before he was healed enough to take another job. To pass the time, he did paint by number and built a few models. I grew up seeing the AMT 1949 Ford built to replicate the one my folks owned 1952-57, a Monogram Big T, an unknown aircraft carrier, and the Duesenberg Torpedo Phaeton displayed in the house. All I have left is the Ford, and I can't locate it. I want to get an early edition of the Duesenberg and build it unpainted in the tan color like Dad did. I spent a lot of time staring at it (not touching it) as a kid when I was lucky enough to get lifted up to view the mantle.

Those are GREAT memories and EXACTLY what gives a "box of plastic parts" LIFE!! The Duesnberg was the very first Classic from Monogram... Ken Merker designed it and even though it  was created about 60 years ago, it holds up well these days... The car was owned by a fellow named Aronson and I believe he and Jack Besser may have attended the same Temple..  The first issue Duesy kits are seen occasionally....  Do it for your Dad!!

7 hours ago, Rodent said:

8 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

Over the years I have collected and built all of the Monogram Classics. To this day, the Duesenberg Torpedo Phaeton is my all time favorite model kit, with the Packards (all three) right behind it. I am deeply grateful that Monogram produced these models as they are my lifeblood in the hobby.  Indeed, if I could only build and rebuild one model kit it would be the Monogram Duesenberg. I have always wondered about the back story of the metal bodied '31 Packard Phaeton and Duesenberg Murphy Speedster and why they were never reissued,  even in plastic form. That said, I built the Porsche Carrara and Mercedes 450 SL kits and loved them both. Monogram continues as my all time favorite model kit manufacturer.

I am building a Rollston-bodied Roadster now,,,  that was a conversion based upon Terrence Adderley's Model J Rodster,,,  He was a very committed Duesenberg enthusiast and enjoyed what we were doing...  The metal-bodied kits were a real challenge...  The first 3... Corvette, '56 T-Bird, and MG-TC were designed by me, Genny Griseta, and Mario Falconi (respctively).... we had NO IDEA where to have the die-casting parts created and it was LONG BEFORE China was a source... I was tasked with finding a source and after visiting 3 different die-cast foundries, I found small foundry owned by an Italian man... His company's main product was "church bells" cast in bronze.. he took on our project based upon the challenge and the "art".... the first samples were actually cast in bronze in sand molds using a 1X wax pour from the Die cast mold..  they were pretty rough...   This firm created the body conversions as well....    Honestly, the 'dream" of creating a new category based upon the Hubley Classics never met sales expectations.....   Looked "GOOD" from the start.. just did not turn out that way....

11 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

... the Packards (all three) right behind it. I am deeply grateful that Monogram produced these models as they are my lifeblood in the hobby.  Indeed, if I could only build and rebuild one model kit it would be the Monogram Duesenberg. I have always wondered about the back story of the metal bodied '31 Packard Phaeton and Duesenberg Murphy Speedster and why they were never reissued,  even in plastic form. 

Eric, I wrote/photographed a "Classic Kits" column on the metal bodied Packard Phaeton kit in mid 2019, originally scheduled to appear in the December 2020 issue of Scale Auto.  Yeah, the one that never saw print due to Kalmbach's decision to shutter the mag.  It's been sitting in the cue at KB ever since....and was at one time planned to be an on-line extra at FineScale.com. 

For those of you not familiar with it, beyond the die-cast body, it had a few features/parts that were not, to the best of my knowledge, seen in the later styrene releases off the Packard tool.  Anyway, like you Eric, I have long been fascinated with the Monogram Classics series, and one day I hope to build the two-door open top version of this kit.    

Bob....thanks for your added insight on these die-cast kits.  I'm sure many here would love to see pix on your Rollston Roadster if you ever got the chance to post them.  

For those of you who are interested, there was a several page story in a 1964 issue of Rod and Custom magazine that covers the kit development "measuring session" with the Duesenberg Phaeton car owner and a very young Monogram engineer by the name of Roger....yes, that Roger Harney.   

TIM 

PS - hope these last few forum posts on Monogram's Classic Series don't stray too far from the original subject of this forum thread.  They are also "Exotics" though admittedly of a much different time period....TB  

Edited by tim boyd

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

...For those of you who are interested, there was a several page story in a 1964 issue of Rod and Custom magazine that covers the kit development "measuring session" with the Duesenberg Phaeton car owner and a very young Monogram engineer by the name of Roger....yes, that Roger Harney.   

Thanks Tim. That should be a fascinating read. I'll be tracking that issue down.  

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Eric, I wrote/photographed a "Classic Kits" column on the metal bodied Packard Phaeton kit in mid 2019, originally scheduled to appear in the December 2020 issue of Scale Auto.  Yeah, the one that never saw print due to Kalmbach's decision to shutter the mag.  It's been sitting in the cue at KB ever since....and was at one time planned to be an on-line extra at FineScale.com. 

For those of you not familiar with it, beyond the die-cast body, it had a few features/parts that were not, to the best of my knowledge, seen in the later styrene releases off the Packard tool.  Anyway, like you Eric, I have long been fascinated with the Monogram Classics series, and one day I hope to build the two-door open top version of this kit.    

Bob....thanks for your added insight on these die-cast kits.  I'm sure many here would love to see pix on your Rollston Roadster if you ever got the chance to post them.  

For those of you who are interested, there was a several page story in a 1964 issue of Rod and Custom magazine that covers the kit development "measuring session" with the Duesenberg Phaeton car owner and a very young Monogram engineer by the name of Roger....yes, that Roger Harney.   

TIM 

PS - hope these last few forum posts on Monogram's Classic Series don't stray too far from the original subject of this forum thread.  They are also "Exotics" though admittedly of a much different time period....TB  

Good input!!  I  was incorrect about thje Weyman-bodied Duesenberg.. The owner (according to Bob Reder's "MONOGRAM" book was a fellow named

George Lamberson.. Original kit price was $2.98!  Tom Graham's boo "MONOGRAM MODELS" states "Bob Reder discovered that George Lamberson, who lived in Hinsdale (IL) owned one of the three 1934 SJ Torpedo Phateon Duesenbergs ever made. ... Roger and Bob Reder completed the research at Lamberson's home..   "After the kit's release (PC81), Lamberson drove his Duesenberg to the Morton Grove plant to receive a built model of his car in a ceremony in the loading dock. The Magnificent Duesy stopped traffic on Waukegan Road as it majestically turned into the parking lot..."  (Roger quote)..  I'll bet it stopped traffic!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bob Johnson said:

Good input!!  I  was incorrect about thje Weyman-bodied Duesenberg.. The owner (according to Bob Reder's "MONOGRAM" book was a fellow named

George Lamberson.. Original kit price was $2.98!  Tom Graham's boo "MONOGRAM MODELS" states "Bob Reder discovered that George Lamberson, who lived in Hinsdale (IL) owned one of the three 1934 SJ Torpedo Phateon Duesenbergs ever made. ... Roger and Bob Reder completed the research at Lamberson's home..   "After the kit's release (PC81), Lamberson drove his Duesenberg to the Morton Grove plant to receive a built model of his car in a ceremony in the loading dock. The Magnificent Duesy stopped traffic on Waukegan Road as it majestically turned into the parking lot..."  (Roger quote)..  I'll bet it stopped traffic!!

I have driven to a variety of locales in Duesenbergs over the years. No matter where you go, you always make an impression when you arrive in a Model J Duesenberg.