Model Cars Magazine Forum

Information on Monogram's Exotics Series

I always wondered about the second round of Monogram Exotics, such as the BMW 635 and Mazda RX-7. Compared to the first releases, there seemed to be a greater level of accuracy in the body lines, not to mention the increased level of parts and detail. Was the new level of detail related directly to the popularity of the first kits, or just a natural evolution away from the 'play value' of the Mattel era? 

1 hour ago, 64Comet404 said:

I always wondered about the second round of Monogram Exotics, such as the BMW 635 and Mazda RX-7. Compared to the first releases, there seemed to be a greater level of accuracy in the body lines, not to mention the increased level of parts and detail. Was the new level of detail related directly to the popularity of the first kits, or just a natural evolution away from the 'play value' of the Mattel era? 

While Monogram did label some "foreign" sports cars under the "Exotic Car Series" (Lamborghini LP400s, 1/12 Ferrari F-40, Lotus Esprit Turbo), they were not really part of the series being discussed here, so I wouldn't include the BMW 635 coupe nor the Mazda RX-7.

Edited by Casey

1 hour ago, Casey said:

While Monogram did label some "foreign" sports cars under the "Exotic Car Series" (Lamborghini LP400s, 1/12 Ferrari F-40, Lotus Esprit Turbo), they were not really part of the series being discussed here, so I wouldn't include the BMW 635 coupe nor the Mazda RX-7.

I agree with Casey..... be careful of the "tags" marketing people placed on kits... I always refer to the simplifed 1/24th scale sports cars as the "2100 series" because  a new four digit block of numbers was set aside specifically for these items....  There is nop intended direct connection between the 2100 series items and any later introduction other than the following:

- The 2100 series kits.... Datsun Z, Mercedes Benz 450SL, Capri II, Porsche 911 and 924, Ferrari 308, and TR-7 were PURPOSELY easy to build with less or limited detail. They were

successful in the following ways...

1.)    Used as "teaching series" for modern body shapes and how to interpret them in scale

2.)   Secure major mass-merchant shelf space with "other than traditional" contemporary auto subjects at a lower retail price

3.)    Create interest in  new subjects that justified such items as the BMW 635 Csi and Mazda RX-7..

These items were a success for Monogram that paid marketing and sales dividends for the next two decades...       Bob Johnson    1.13.22

33 minutes ago, alexis said:

I hope whoever has the tooling for these brings them back. They would all make great little "Slump-Busters" esp if they were 2'n'1 kits, with fresh decals.

I've been thinking the same thing. I have a lots of ideas I would love to try an I'd love to get them all without paying collector's prices.

4 hours ago, alexis said:

I hope whoever has the tooling for these brings them back. They would all make great little "Slump-Busters" esp if they were 2'n'1 kits, with fresh decals.

These (IMHO) almost perfectly align with Atlantis' modus operandi, so IF they have the molds, IF they are in good nick, and IF they can acquire licensing for the multiple manufacturers represented in the Monogram 2100 Series kits, I could see it happening.

11 hours ago, Casey said:

These (IMHO) almost perfectly align with Atlantis' modus operandi, so IF they have the molds, IF they are in good nick, and IF they can acquire licensing for the multiple manufacturers represented in the Monogram 2100 Series kits, I could see it happening.

I will make some inquiries and see who has these molds.. my guess is China...  BJ

2 hours ago, Bob Johnson said:

I will make some inquiries and see who has these molds.. my guess is China...  BJ

The Porsche Carrera appears to be the most recent kit from this 2100 Series produced, in 1989, in the U.S.:

MonoPorscheCarrera1989.jpg.365d1ab7b328610c04ea990ab69b230f.jpg

Edited by Casey

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, alexis said:

Man, I hope the 2100 series molds are not in China!

These kits need to be back on the Market.

Many of them could be sold now as 2'n'1 kits and reach a greater market.

I'd be really curious as to just how badly Atlantis wants to deal with arranging licensing agreements with Volkswagen, Mercedes, Nissan, and Ferrari and whether or not there are other kits they potentially have the tooling for which could also justify the costs of those licenses.

1 hour ago, Justin Porter said:

I'd be really curious as to just how badly Atlantis wants to deal with arranging licensing agreements with Volkswagen, Mercedes, Nissan, and Ferrari and whether or not there are other kits they potentially have the tooling for which could also justify the costs of those licenses.

Bingo. I highly doubt these will ever be reissued.

1 hour ago, Bob Johnson said:

This may be the only TR-7 ever depicted as a model kit,, to this day, BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH the purist Triumph fans: this is a REALLY NICE model!!

Boxart Triumph TR-7 Rally G-112 Gunze Sangyo

Gunze Sangyo tooling also available reboxed for Airfix around the same time that Airfix was reboxing Gunze's E-Type Jag. 

4 hours ago, Bob Johnson said:

This may be the only TR-7 ever depicted as a model kit,, to this day, BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH the purist Triumph fans: this is a REALLY NICE model!!

There was also a 1:25 Revell kit of the Triumph, but the Monogram kit is more accurate. It's probably more accurate than the Gunze, but I haven't seen one of those for many years. 

I would like to see what is inside that TR7 box.  The molding and proportions are real nice on the Monogram kit.  I will be starting a WIP of the other kit (have 2 of them) that I started in the 80's and never finished.  I have a special delivery coming via freight in the coming days, and should make the car run real nice...

I built the TR7 and RX-7 back in 2020. Great kits! The ‘75 TR7 I had in high school looked like my model except for different wheels. I had to print new decals because the originals were unusable. The only downside to the RX-7 kit was the wheels and tires are too big so it sits up too high.

spacer.png

Ben

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 8:55 PM, Ben Brown said:

I built the TR7 and RX-7 back in 2020. Great kits! The ‘75 TR7 I had in high school looked like my model except for different wheels. I had to print new decals because the originals were unusable. The only downside to the RX-7 kit was the wheels and tires are too big so it sits up too high.

spacer.png

Ben

Very nicely done, they look great together. I feel I have unfinished business with the TR7, all I have left of mine are the wheels and tyres,and maybe some of the decals. I know I'll have to spend a bit to get one. The slotmags from the Datsun 280Z kit would probably suit it well.

Other than being LHD the Mazda doesn't leap out as being the Monogram, could easily be the Tamiya kit.

• Like 1

Nice work!!  The Mazda RX-7 and the BMW 635 Csi were far more detailed than the original 2100 series

kits......  the early models like the 924, TR-7, and "Z" sure opened the doors for later European and 

Japanese model kits by Monogram!!

Bob Johnson

• Like 1

Thanks, guys! They were both a pleasure to build. I still have another TR7 I built back when it was first released. I've hung onto it with the intent of chopping the top for a convertible version, but the rear deck differences are a little complicated. Maybe someday.... 😄

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown