Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Chevy Impala-----FINALLY DONE! 4/9/16

MrObsessive

It's great to see this one done, following the WIP thread was a lot of fun and I learned a lot from that thread. Now it's bookmarked for future reference as I have a couple of '59 Impalas to be done too. When looking at this finished product, I can't think of a word that describes this one better than "Perfect". Everything seems to be just right and the biggest issues in this kit are fixed very nicely. Personally I see nothing wrong with the kit's roof, but I have a bad eye for accurate body shapes, but great job fixing the engine placement as it's way too back originally and nice to see that the chassis is not visible under the body too. Those are probably the two things that bother me the most in these kits anyway but you fixed them nicely!

Nice work overall, with all side windows down you added that little piece of chrome trim where that rear side window rolls up, I've never seen anyone doing that before even though it is there on real car. The trunk looks just like real '59 or '60 Impala trunk does...Fantastic. Overall very nice and clean work, everything seems to be just right including the paint job, BMF and detailing all over. Those hubcaps are looking very fine too. Nice job detail painting them.

(Sorry for such a long story...This model just made me drool over my keyboard very hard.:D)

Wow.

I followed the wip and thoroughly enjoyed every update.

My favorite pic is the open trunk, but its missing the spare and Jack.

Just kidding Mr outrageous builder.

Thank you!

Funny you should mention that!

I showed pics to a friend at work and while he's not a builder per se, he's into models and he made a comment about the spare. '59's had their spare sitting upright, and I left it out for the time being simply because I had no spare tire small enough to fit in the well. I thought about modifying the well early on to suit a regular tire, but then the well would have hung too low below the quarter panel and wouldn't look right. I guess I could "halve" a tire and put it in there, but then that may not look right either. I DO have a jack from a junker Danbury Mint '55 Ford which sacrificed its interior for a stillborn '55 Victoria model I was working on. I could put that in there in lieu of the spare tire. I could always say that the car had a flat on the way to the show! :P

I think it looks terrific.

I noticed you have the upper door window trim "flipped up" I am assuming you are going pose it most of the time with the doors open.

Great detail, most wouldn't even care to put that detail in.

I wanted to show the weather stripping that was noticeable to me whenever the front windows were rolled down. Initially, I was going to do working windows, and the pics I have of the 1:1 car that chrome trim flipped up is so subtle, as you said most folks don't notice it. I had to add the trim to the C pillars though as that acted as a guide somewhat for the rear windows, and gives some needed thickness to those pillars which otherwise would appear unrealistically thin.

Down the road not if but when I do another '59 Chevy, it may well be a convertible with working windows, as sort of a companion to the '58 I did years ago. Of course everything will have to be full boat detail on it..........working suspension, another opening (and perhaps latching) trunk, latching and removable hood. There'll be some other body changes to the model as that one has some issues as I see it too. ;)

Yeah, I know I'm crazy! :P

Absolutely beautiful Bill, your details are so great I couldn't tell if the engine compartment was the model or the real car! 

I have had some models take me years but that is because I can't seem to finish them unless they are a snapper! LOL.

I agree I thought that the engine picture was a reference photo. Absolutely stunning model.

Is the GSL project the Eleanor from the remake of gone in 60 seconds?

Thanks for that compliment! I really appreciate that! 

The Shelby I want to do is not Eleanor-----it's this one.............................

04-1968-shelby-exp-500-green-hornet.jpg

01-1968-shelby-exp-500-green-hornet.jpg

Don't look for it though till later in the year! A LOT of slicing and dicing I'll have to do between essentially three kits------the AMT '66 Mustang, AMT '68 Shelby, and their '67 Shelby. I say GSL 2019 as I don't think I'd have this done before the next show which is in May of next year. I plan on going to that one also. One of the more daunting tasks of this future WIP is that independent rear suspension. It's unique to that car, and it's something that while I have a TON of pics of what it looks like, a lot of scratchbuilding will be needed as it has bits and pieces that would only suit it. 

The engine should be fairly easy..............Just a matter of using a suitable 428, and then cobbling up an electronic fuelie setup that it had. I have all the decals that I need, proper set of wheels and tires, now all I need is to take a six month or so breather, and finish up the "box stock" build that I'm doing, and get started! ;)

I think it looks terrific.

I noticed you have the upper door window trim "flipped up" I am assuming you are going pose it most of the time with the doors open.

Great detail, most wouldn't even care to put that detail in.

I'm pretty certain the "flipper" weatherseal was eliminated on GM hardtops after 1957, and on Fords and Mercurys after 1958.

I'm pretty certain the "flipper" weatherseal was eliminated on GM hardtops after 1957, and on Fords and Mercurys after 1958.

You're probably right. I only had experience with the tri- 5 Chevys. I don't remember working on a 58 or 59. I just saw how he did the trim and assumed it was the same deal on the 59 since the vent windows are the similar .

That's a beauty! Looks like a real nightmare to foil, too. Great job!

Thanks Tyler!

And yes, foiling this car is NOT for the faint of heart! Total time was probably a bit more than a week working a 1/2 hour to one hour at a time. Not to mention along the fins particularly, I had to scribe in the chrome trim ahead of time before painting as I knew that would be a troublesome area, as the trim was quite faint and not as well defined as I'd like.

Edited by MrObsessive