Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Chevy Impala-----FINALLY DONE! 4/9/16

MrObsessive

John, those are some cute cats! I wish mine could sit still like that and just observe! The model room is off limits to both of mine, but especially the one year old I have now. He's particularly nosy, and all I need is for him to wreck the work I've done after all this time. 

He tries to butt in as soon as I open the door, but I pick him up by the scruff of the neck and pitch him out and shut the door!

Thank you B) ! Molly is the best-behaved kitty I've ever had ; just an absolute sweetheart ( and , conversely , one whom vocallises Mountain Lion sounds when she's perturbed ) . Oliver is a lover , but also a curious bratty Brit . I swear that he comes from Ship's Cat lineage ; he just checks every-thing out ! Neither of them are allowed in my bedroom when I'm building any-thing .

Keep up the great work , Bill ! Looking forward to seeing more of your stunning builds !

Beautiful and impressive.  What did you use for the trunk mat??

Carl, that is some fabric that I got from Don Holthaus years ago (early '00's?) when I was trying to build the working top on my '64 Pontiac GTO convertible. Of course, I never got that to work right as the material was still a bit out of scale for 1/24th, and also, attaching the fabric to get it to look right would have been a nightmare.

I still have a good bit of it, and in fact, this is the first I've used it since he sent it to me. I thought it would look good as a trunk mat as it's very tightly woven as you can see, and it's rubber backed so it's able to be superglued on a flat surface without much issue. What's neat about it also is that when cut, the fabric frays very little if at all------almost like the same material used for umbrellas or something. I'm not sure where he got it 'cept to say after all these years, it's come in handy. ;)

Thanks for asking!

Wow.... Congratulations on the completion of this fantastic model, and great subject.   All the modifications and detail you fussed with is amazing, the under hood  detailing especially the carb linkages and brake lines, the antenna, opening trunks and doors, latches, etc, and I bet there is close to an entire package of BMF on this one.  Well done, thanks for sharing with us.

Amazing finish to a very impressive and inspiring project, Bill!  That profile shot along with the 3/4 rear views prove that the challenge of the roof swap was worth the effort! The vac windows make a huge difference too.

I was sorta hoping you'd do the '61 Ventura next, but I can sure understand wanting to get away from yards of BMF and troublesome windows!

Amazing finish to a very impressive and inspiring project, Bill!  That profile shot along with the 3/4 rear views prove that the challenge of the roof swap was worth the effort! The vac windows make a huge difference too.

I was sorta hoping you'd do the '61 Ventura next, but I can sure understand wanting to get away from yards of BMF and troublesome windows!

John, the '61 Pontiac WAS a big contender for my next build, but the Tamiya 1990 BMW 850i won out due to that it should go together pretty easily (I hope), and I did want to switch up time periods of cars this time around. Also, I was hoping that Model Car Garage or someone would have a PE set for the '61 Poncho by now. Probably by the time I get around to it (possibly early next year) it'll be ready to buy. 

After I finish up the BMW (look for a post maybe later in the week), I have another possibly hair pulling WIP waiting in the wings. This'll be the Shelby Mustang Green Hornet EXP 500. I did this one back in '96, but I didn't do that great of a conversion in hindsight, and now I have all the correct bits and pieces along with a TON of pics to do this car correctly (mostly), and to get the body correct first and foremost. Something that wasn't the case the last time I built it.

Thanks for the nice words!