Model Cars Magazine Forum

Radiator color

I know there are a ton of topics on engine colors, but what about radiators? I know most are painted black these days (just like most frames now), but what about in years past? Were most painted the color of the chassis?

I am building a late 60's Kenworth W925 and I want to make it as accurate as possible. Anyone know what color the radiator would have been?

Back when I was turning wrenches on trucks in the 90's I don't remember any trucks having anything but black radiators. I think black is appropriate simply because radiator shops paint them black when they build new units or repair old. I wouldn't think the rads would be in place for chassis paint. Chassis paint is usually put on thick and if the rads were painted at the same time there would be paint clogging the fins.

in your case the front (shutters) ,sides,top and bottom tanks would be silver or alum. color.The fins on the back side would be black.Kenworth used a lot of fiberglass including the  fan shroud.These were unpainted,some brochures show a greenish almost Detroit diesel color,but I think a tannish cured fiberglass color would be better.