Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

I wonder if the flyer got out before the shipments arrived. You guys saying no joy in various places, does your Ollie's USUALLY have models when they have these big advertised blowouts? (For example, mine does.)

In other words, I'm thinking of running out there about maybe Wednesday.

The Frederick store, which had nothing today, usually has kits when they do this. I think I will check the new online flyer when it comes out, see if they are on there.

Our North Charleston store has a fair assortment, not many Round 2 but I did see the Beverly Hills Cop Nova and the Tommy Grove Funny Car kits still in case boxes. I grabbed a Revell '62 Impala and their '65 El Camino (again, I have one somewhere in the middle of being built). Lots of Monogram 1/24 kits. A few Lindberg kits but those are mostly military stuff or weird-ohs. LOTS of those F-150's... anything notable enough about them to make grabbing a couple worthwhile?

I bought one the last time Ollies had a model kit sale, hoping for the wheels depicted on the box art...that's NOT the wheels inĀ the kit I bought. Anyone else get one with the box art wheels inside? My store had a bunch of them again yesterday, but leery to buy another one, WANT THE BOX ART WHEELS!!!Ā 

Did anybody ever think of calling their local Ollie's before driving over?

At least at my local, I doubt you'd get anyone on the phone that would be interested in or capable of helping you. It ain't like your local hobby shop.

I went to the one on the northside of Columbus yesterday. They had a decent amount. Picked up one each of:

Revell snap kitĀ '05 Corvette C6

Revell snap kit '57 Chevy Bel Air

Revell Street Burner '70 Dodge Challenger

Monogram '56 Chevy Bel Air

Monogram '55 Chevy Bel Air convertable

AMT 2010 USA-1 Camaro

Lindberg Dodge L-700 w/ flatbed trailer and '40 Ford coupe

All were $7.99 except the Dodge L-700, that was $19.99. Planning on hitting the one on the southside after work to see if they have any different inventory.

Did anybody ever think of calling their local Ollie's before driving over?

I have Jim with mixed results. The one close to home is A 15 minute drive in light traffic and the phone call takes like 5 to 10 minutes. It gets me out of the houseĀ before work. LOLĀ 

The one by work I call again mixed results, if the right guy answers I get an answer. Mostly they are too busy to answer with a light staff.Ā 

I spoke with one of the staff who was, ironically, checking on stock for a phone call... she had no idea what she was looking for, other than a "green dragster". So, no, I don't think we can honestly expect Ollie's staff to be knowledgable enough to get critical information from. They're simply overwhelmed by the volume of stuff they get, almost daily.

Traveled the 1.5 hours to my nearest store. It paid off pretty good. I wanted a Little Red Wagon but they had none. But I still found a basket full. My store had a 8 x 8 foot isle gondola full from the floor to about 6 plus feet. LOTS of stuff for sure!!! On a side note the woman a the check out said they'd been selling all day as fast as anything new in the store. Another shopper said she had bought 6 kits for her husband and other at the local VA hospital.Ā 

Things I didn't get.....Revell Ferraris other than the 360 I got, F-150, Revell 55 Chevy soft top, Lindberg 71 Mustang, Revell Magnum, 70 Challenger, space shuttles and dinosaurs.

My haul.......Ā 

PS Surf Woody came from Hobby Lobby......GREAT updated reissue with new tires, diorama, book, two colors glass....nice!!

OLIES.JPG

You guys are sooooooo LUCKY!!!!!. $7.99!!!! i haven't seen prices like that on such a wide variety of kits in 20 years since K-mart sold kits....I don't have one of these stores nearby. Ā They seem to be selling FAST from what i have heard and seen on other sites / forums. Definately says there is a market for this stuff..I bet hobby shops and other stores like hobby lobby and hobby town are hating this..I'm wondering HOW Ollie'sĀ can sell these kits for $7.99 when everyone else is selling those same kits for 20-30 bucks..You know they are stillĀ turning a profit on each kit at that amazing price... Wonder what they paid for them and where they got them?

They sell them at $8 because I am sure they bought them as a lot....maybe from a distributor, why we have 2010-2012 kits, or foreclosure bankruptcy or similar.

They are still making $$$$

If I had to guess I'd bet they paid less then $5 a kit.....maybe a lot less. Ā 

The new flyer for which these models are part of doesn't officially start until tomorrow (14th). Some stores follow that sales guideline strictly, others just stock out the shelves when the truck shows up.

It probably depends on staff and storeroom space. If they have the people, they will get it out sooner to free up the back room as they have trucks arriving all the time.

The new flyer for which these models are part of doesn't officially start until tomorrow (14th). Some stores follow that sales guideline strictly, others just stock out the shelves when the truck shows up.

We got our flyer, and it said the same, but we still went in yesterday, and they were already on sale

Edited by Dann Tier

Lansing, Mich has some now, not a good variety. a bunch of AMT Gremlins, Lindberg Dodge Color Me Gones, AMT 2010 USA Camaros, Lindberg Dodge trucks with flatbed trailors, and some Dodge magnums.

I wiped out their stock of Tommy Grove MustangsĀ on Saturday morning....sorry! :)

Went to mine today. They had one aisle and an end cap, but not a great variety. Nothing I REALLY wanted or needed but just to not waste the trip I got a Revell '62 Chevy, AMT '72 Nova (good parts mine), and Gloster Gladiator (airplane). Was hoping they'd have the Manx but no joy. Oh well.

Wish mine had Gremlins.......grass is always greener......

Mine had a ton of Manx.......odd how they don't try to even it out....but that cost time=$

Dave, my local store had a bunch of Gremlins, but no Manx.

I'll go grab 2 Gremlins for ya if you grab 2 Manx for me? Maybe meet in the middle somewhere? (I'm about 30-40 minutes from Weirton, not sure where you are in WV)...