Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

You guys are sooooooo LUCKY!!!!!. $7.99!!!! i haven't seen prices like that on such a wide variety of kits in 20 years since K-mart sold kits....I don't have one of these stores nearby.  They seem to be selling FAST from what i have heard and seen on other sites / forums. Definately says there is a market for this stuff..I bet hobby shops and other stores like hobby lobby and hobby town are hating this..I'm wondering HOW Ollie's can sell these kits for $7.99 when everyone else is selling those same kits for 20-30 bucks..You know they are still turning a profit on each kit at that amazing price... Wonder what they paid for them and where they got them?

They buy overstocks & closeouts from distributors (or possibly straight from the manufacturer) who just want to get something even if it means taking a loss. Most of these were sales dogs (sorry Meyers Manx fans!) or longtime kits that were bought a little too deep (like Revell snaps for the Christmas season). You wont see the new hotness in there.  

Edited by Brett Barrow

Report from Ollie's in Anderson, SC:

I live about 20 miles away, so called this morning to make sure they had kits. They did, and I got there around 11:30.  An employee told me the kits were selling "great," and she had seen several people like me - with carts full of nothing but kits.

OK, I guess I'm taking too much time to write my posts. Keep getting error messages.  I was trying to make up a list of all the kits in the Anderson, SC store, and all the kits the store does NOT have, based on what I'm reading here.

So I'll cut it short and just say that if you want any car kits from that store, you better hurry!  And that store only had ONE AMT kit left that I saw - the 72 Nova "BH Cop." NO Grove Funny Cars or Meyers Manxes (Manxi?)

The one local to me still has a pretty good selection

Florence ky. They had a bunch of the lindberg color me gone dodges. And the polar lights grove mustang. I bought 5 of each. also bought a few of the Little red wagons ( they don't have many of them )

May go back and get more tomorrow nite

They also had a bunch of the ford crown vic  police cars , Yellow Chargers. etc etc.

Plus a bunch of military stuff , tanks , planes , some ships  that was of zero interest to me

I did buy one of the  black beard sailing ships ( its was cheap enough )

Edited by gtx6970

Ollies is a cross between a garage sale and Good Will.  A store jam packed with cheap merchandise and packaged food items made by companies you never heard of before. One time they had small under counter refrigerators and I wanted to measure one to see if it would fit under my counter.  I went to their hardware dept and grabbed a measuring tape.  I tried to measure the refrigerator and realized that the tape wasn't accurate!  It had inches printed on it, but they really weren't inches.. just a pretty picture.  Later on I thought I should've bought one to use as a joke item.  

If you go looking for kits, be sure to check out the paint aisle as well.  They usually have Duplicolor. Odd color selection but some basics that come in handy. And I always buy all the primer they have!

Edited by Tom Geiger

If you go looking for kits, be sure to check out the paint aisle as well.  They usually have Duplicolor. Odd color selection but some basics that come in handy. And I always buy all the primer they have!

I grabbed some of their Dupli-Color last time I was there.  One of the problems is that they put their price sticker over the color name.

I'm gonna try again tomorrow. Going to HL, which is in the same shopping center, to use my weekly coupon, so it's worth a stop in to see if they put out anything new since Wednesday.

Good luck. I'm completely confused on how Ollies runs these sales.

Went to Ollies on Monday 4/11, no kits. Asked an employee. She said the Big Kit Sale was keyed to their flyer for this week, which would come out on Thurs., 4/14.  Sure enough, I went in yesterday 4/14 and found lots of kits.

This made me believe all the stores would start the Big Kit Sale on the same day, Thurs 4/14. But that's obviously not the case. Since some of the people in this thread were buying these kits last week.  Weird. I guess each store is free to start the sale whenever it wants.

The Ollies near me had NO Revell-o-Gram 32 Fords, Alternomads, Dodge L-700 solo kits, or 55/56 Chevies. Except that ugly Pro-Street 55 Chevy sedan.  It had plenty of Little Red Wagons, 37 Ford Sedans, "Color Me Gone" 64 Dodges, and 65 Shelby GT-350s.

Also had lots of the Revell 69 Camaro, Streetburner 70 Chevelle Baldwin Motion, 77 Monte Carlo Snap, Ferrari Modena and Lamborghini.

Edited by Mike999
Incomplete

I went back to Ollie's today and noticed they had added some more kits to the display, mostly Lindberg F150 pickups and what seemed to be a boat load more Revell SSR's! I think those ads usually run for 2 weeks, so something tells me that they will be adding to the display as time rolls by, which means I will be stopping in there regularly.

Anybody pick up a 77 Monte Carlo they want to trade?  I can trade any of the current Revell snaps (or anything current of equal value, really).  I went to pick one up for myself a while back but our source had gotten rid of them (likely where these came from).  

PM sent.

Ollies is a cross between a garage sale and Good Will.  A store jam packed with cheap merchandise and packaged food items made by companies you never heard of before. One time they had small under counter refrigerators and I wanted to measure one to see if it would fit under my counter.  I went to their hardware dept and grabbed a measuring tape.  I tried to measure the refrigerator and realized that the tape wasn't accurate!  It had inches printed on it, but they really weren't inches.. just a pretty picture.  Later on I thought I should've bought one to use as a joke item.  

Ours is Mostly name brand stuff.

Which one did you go to Brian? I was at the one in Matthews today around lunch.

I was at the Mattews store right at 12 today but I was in and out in a hurry. I'm going to try to get to the one in Gastonia some time this weekend.

Edited by Fat Brian

I managed to hit up one Ollie's on my way to work tonight.  I grabbed 9 different kits.  I don't remember exactly which ones, and the receipt doesn't help too much.  I know that I got the Ford F150, the Color Me Gone, the 71 Mustang, the Super Bee Charger, as well as a few others.  I think that I got the 70s Firebird, but I know that I did not get the Beverly Hills Cop Nova.  They had about 15 or so different models.  I hope to hit one or 2 more shops over the weekend to see if I can get some of the ones that this location didn't have.

I am not worried about Price if I can't get the the regional one near me til next month

The P{rice is NOT a "Sale" price

but Ollie's actual price!!

If anything, after a few weeks, prices may Drop!!!!

A few years ago when they had the Lindberg "Warehouse Fire" buyout

Most were listed at $7.99

Including all the former Pyro 1/32 classics

Some time later (5-8 Months maybe) I got more of the 97 Crown Vic Police kits at $4.99!!!!!!

Still want the Tennessee, North Carolina & Georgia as those never got to my store

some others were also marked down, but NOT the 1/32 pieces

Even the Weird-Oh's came down

I think those went down to 3.99 or even 2.99!!!!!

Just wish May 1 was next week!!!!!!!!

I stopped in the Monroe MI store at lunch today, not much left. I asked the girl stocking what they had in back and she said nothing. Everything was on the shelf. 

Then I asked if the boxes came with different kits and she said yes , you do not know what is in the case when you open it. Apparently people were at the store getting kits out of the box before they even hit the shelves. LOL 

Stopped by again. As I suspected, they had more out--a second end cap full. Lotta Lindberg airplanes, mainly, but also "new" Lindberg '67 4-4-2, so I got one of those.

Also got another cheap "parts mine" '72 Nova. Just for grins, took a look at the body. No, it's still not as good as the original '70s issues, but with a certain amount of work, it MIGHT actually be usable. Even if not, still a good cheap source of the rear end parts you need to fix the Revell '69 (see my tutorial on that). Engine is good for Modified Productions, Pro Stocks, and wild street fighters. Good slicks and traction bars, and fair Cragars. Well worth 8 frogs in parts alone.

So if your Ollie's didn't have anything, or much of anything, earlier in the week, it MIGHT be worth another look.