Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

Just why would be a mystery for the ages, but obliterating the color name might be part of the buyout deal.  Back when Duplicolor came in the cans without labels (everything was printed right on the can) the stores that carried the closeout cans apparently had to obliterate the Duplicolor brand name on the cans!  I bought a bunch of cans back then (at Big Lots; Ollie's didn't exist, at least around here) and the name was knocked off of every can with what appeared to be a wire brush wheel.  Those didn't have the colors named on the cans, but the code number on the sticker was visible (unless it had faded due to age).  In most cases you'd know what make of car the color was for, but you'd have to find an older Duplicolor book to figure out what color you had, though.

The problem for me is that some of the colors look really close and I can't remember what I already have.  It is a lot easier to write down a list of paint codes than to write, "some kind of blue, not really dark, more of a medium".

You guys seemed surprised that this stuff is flying off the shelves.  There are a lot more model car builders / collectors / hoarders than you'd think!  We serious guys who populate boards / clubs / shows   are a very small percentage of the overall kit market! 

Well, the one that I want to stop by on Sunday is pretty near to where the Mid Atlantic NNL is being held next month so I hope the guys from mamasboyz haven't gotten everything already.

I picked up a Dodge L-700 tilt cab at the State College, PA Ollie's. I'm not sure what I'll do with it, since I'm not a truck modeler, but for $7.99 I couldn't resist!

Sam

I was going to grab that, but instead just went ahead and bought the package that came with the trailer and car for $20.  I figured that I couldn't beat $12 for a trailer and car.

Anyone have a pic of what's in the 1/20 dune buggy box?  I stopped at one store today, out of curiosity picked up one of those and it seemed awfully light and the contents seemed to have a lot of empty space, especially for a 1/20 scale kit.  Checked another one, it seemed to be the same.  I didn't buy one...last two weekends, I was at a local show and then NNL East offing some stuff in order to make some empty space and a few bucks...

Stopped back in the one near me today.

Picked up 2 more of the Color Me Gone kits. and a Meyers Manx kit ( for the price I couldn't pass it up. )

I wanted more of the Polar Lights Mustang funnycars,,( got 5 of them last week )  But they were all gone

They still had a boat load of the Ford pickups and the Superbee Charger kits. as well as a few of the lindberg cop cars. They also still had a few of the Lindberg L700 with trailer kits, but none of the truck only kits ( I bought 2 of them last week )

They still had a boat load of the Ford pickups and the Superbee Charger kits. as well as a few of the lindberg cop cars. They also still had a few of the Lindberg L700 with trailer kits, but none of the truck only kits ( I bought 2 of them last week )

It doesn't surprise me about the truck & trailer kit.  Being $20 it is still a bargain for someone who is interested in that type of stuff, but too expensive for an impulse type of buy.

Anyone have a pic of what's in the 1/20 dune buggy box?  I stopped at one store today, out of curiosity picked up one of those and it seemed awfully light and the contents seemed to have a lot of empty space, especially for a 1/20 scale kit.  Checked another one, it seemed to be the same.  I didn't buy one...last two weekends, I was at a local show and then NNL East offing some stuff in order to make some empty space and a few bucks...

Since I am back working on my Aussieball Van, I may open up the one I bought.  If I do, I'll post some pics.

The kit is the old IMC kit 'Bug's Buggy'. It's pretty simple dune buggy. It has issues......front tires are much larger than rear.....so some parts swapping will be needed. I bought one because I never knew they had reissued it....I have an original IMC version. 

I went ahead an opened mine to see if there was anything that I could use in my build.  It is a basic curbside model.  The two-piece tires kind of threw me at first.  I am guessing that the original release was boxed differently since the instructions show different trees than came in this kit. In the instructions, it shows most of the white pieces on a single tree with the chrome parts on two trees.  Now, the chrome is on one tree and the white parts on at least 5 trees.

DSCN0010.jpg

DSCN0012.jpg

The kit is the old IMC kit 'Bug's Buggy'. It's pretty simple dune buggy. It has issues......front tires are much larger than rear.....so some parts swapping will be needed. I bought one because I never knew they had reissued it....I have an original IMC version. 

There was an IMC Surf Buggy kit; it would appear that it was later modified into the Bugs Buggy, which is what was reissued.  Doesn't look too bad, especially for eight bucks...but I'm watching my purchases lately, so I'll pass...

Went to Ollie's today, just because of this thread.  Had only been once - a while ago and thought, "blah".  I was nicely surprised - Daughter and I loaded up on kits.  While checking out, the girl at the register said, "my boyfriend was really excited that we got all of these kits in.  He loves building these things."  That made me happy - there's hope for the future! :)

Now, to visit the Ollie's across town!

I stopped for the heck of it today and was surprised that they had a few different kits at the Toledo store. I did call last night and was told they did not have anything new in. 

I got a 2 Nova kits 2 of the Talladega and a 32 Ford 3 Window. Now I wonder what the Monroe MI store has.

I remember the IMC buggy as being a pretty good kit; the one I had came with three back tires and one front, plus I dropped it and broke a rear axle so I never finished it. I recall trying to kitbash the remains with the old Pyro 1/20 VW to make a Baja Bug. (Might still be a workable idea if Pyro VWs weren't so rare now.) I still have the surfboard.

Reading all the posts really gets me down since there is not an Ollies anywhere near my area. And I see a lot of kits I would buy. Oh well, the old sucessful busniss model I learned  "Location, Location, Location" I am in the wrong location!

I went to my local Ollies and they finally had some good kits. I grabbed the Dodge L700 withe the flatbed and 40 Ford coupe, a Revell 97 F-150 XLT and the Lindberg Dodge Charger SRT8 Super Bee. I always loved the Lindbrg 40 Ford, I have never built the Dodge L700, the Charger I grabbed Mostly because it's a 4 door and the F-150 I got because I have too many of the Revell F-350 Duallie kits and need to add some variety. I'm not a big fan of the styling of that style F-150.

1826051a-47e9-4775-b934-89c547b22635.jpe

Went back to the one in Matthews NC today. They had expanded to 2 aisle end cap displays and one was mostly Lindberg models, with a TON of F150s and a few Color Me Gones. The rest of the Lindberg kits were space and airplane, IIRC.

The other end cap had a bunch of Revell SSRs and Monogram Corvettes and Trans Ams. Didn't see anything I could use for parts or wanted to build so I went out empty handed.

Hit the Ollie's in Anderson SC again today.  New kits are STILL appearing! 

The store had 1 HAWK "Weird-Ohs" Iron Maiden.  Was hoping they'd have the "Wheel Rack" from the same series but no luck.  Also found 1 lonely Monogram '82 Corvette, which I grabbed to make into a Dead Disco-mobile.  Only got the Vette and another '77 Monte Carlo Snapper, because that MC is a very nice kit.  Didn't need anything else.

This store still had plenty of: AMT Tommy Grove Mustang FC, Lindberg "Color Me Gone" '64 Dodge, Little Red Wagon, Alternomad, Crown Vic Tennessee Highway Patrol, Revell Ferrari California and some others I don't remember.  Also tons of aircraft kits, which seem to be moving very slowly.

Went to the Ollie's with my son this evening in North Olmsted, OH. Not much to choose, except a bunch of dinosaurs. We did get a Dodge Charger SRT8 Super Bee and he got a amt 2011 Chevy Camaro SS/RS Convertible. I wish they would have had at least one of those Dodge L-700's...those look sweet and would have been awesome to pick up cheaper than the $30 the hobby store wants. 

Worst part of those Dodge truck kits, in my experience: the doors.  They use tiny plastic hinge pins that break if you look at them wrong.  If you want working doors, drill out those things and replace them with metal.  A common straight pin trimmed to fit will work. Or you can just glue the doors in place. But then you'll need to do some work on getting everything straight and flush.  They don't fit all that well.

As far as molding and flash, the Lindberg reissues of the Little Red Wagon etc. look better than some IMC originals I've seen.  I have an original IMC "Touch Tone Terror," the telephone version of the LRW.  Not only was it molded in a gruesome translucent see-thru white plastic, there was so much flash I practically had to whittle the parts out with an X-Acto knife.