Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

Anderson, SC, 10/29/16:

Ollie's had 3 of the LINDBERG Dodge L-700 with Box Trailer.  Other than that, almost no car kits.  Still lots of old LINDBERG dreck like the German armored car and ancient 1/48 aircraft.  Though if you need some 1/48 bombs and underwing weapons, the LINDBERG "Firepower Series" aircraft kits have a bunch.  Those kits even include the small hooks that hang bombs from the bomb-racks.  Also some AMT 1/48 F9F Panthers.

Hobby Lobby: still had one AMT Piranha in the Clearance aisle for $10.79.  And an MPC 1/8 scale Trail 70 marked down to the same price. No new kits that I noticed. I picked up an AMT 32 Ford Victoria with the 40% discount.

Michael's: nothing new at all, same car kits they've had for months.  I was packing a 50% coupon on my email, but just didn't see anything I wanted or don't already have.  Left empty-handed.

Got up to the area Ollie's Last Sat.

2 SRT8 Super Bee version of the Lindberg Charger

Surprisingly The Tennessee, North Carolina & Georga State Police Crown Vics

they Did NOT have last time,

and Only the Flatbed & 40 Ford Coupe version of the L700!!!

I saw 1 F150 4x4.

They had the AMT 66 Olds 442 as well

All others were Weird Oh's and a few Military

• 1 month later...

Anderson, SC, 12/3/16:

This Ollie's got in a big shipment of the AMT 66 Olds 442 W30.  Also some REVELL Chevy SSR's and LINDBERG Tenn. and NC Crown Vics.  For fans of the smaller scale, the store has a big load of 1/32 scale LINDBERG 1915 Model T Coupelets, a nice kit with engine detail.  The store also still has a few LINDBERG Dodge L-700 with flatbed trailer and '40 Ford kits. Other than that, a lot of the ancient LINDBERG 1/48 aircraft, Weird-Ohs and military kits - M-46 Patton and German armored car.

At first I passed on the 66 Olds because I already had 2 W30 hardtops and 2 ragtops.  But I checked the hardtops and both were early, original issues with the red car on the box.  And both had the wrong front bumper - the one with the parking lights at the edges of the bumper slots.  Instead of the middle of the slots, to provide clearance for the W-30 air scoops/hoses.  So I got 2 hardtops from Ollie's ($7.99 each). They have the correct front bumper. 

Was back at the area one last week

(Had to renew Plates on Car and MVA is across the street from Ollie's)

Still only the flatbed trailer with 40 Ford Coupe set--Large paper sign on the shelf to Proove that too!!!

Georgia, N.C. & Tenn 97 Crown Vics

No AMT's Left!!!!

SEVERAL of the 1/32 T Couplet Roadster for $4.99

Last time they had 1/32 kits they were $7.99 like the Crown-Vics!!!!

Passed MANY back then

Still had a few Super Bee Chargers left too

NOTHING came home with me even at their GREAT Discounted price!!!!

MIGHT have tried for the Box Van Dodge L700 set, but My area store Will NOT get them!!!!

The Green Paper sign only showed the Flat trailer with Ford Coupe

I was in the one in Matthews NC yesterday. The same kits as mentioned above, mostly Lindbergs.

I did venture over to the automotive and hardware sections and they have a bunch of 3M assortment packs of sandpaper 320-1500 grit as well as individual packages in various grits. Not much in the paint section but if you look you might find some primer.

• 4 weeks later...

Every one that I've been to lately has plenty of dodge truck/flat trailer/40 fords left... and way too many crown victoria cop cars.... Thought about scooping up several cop cars just in case for something down the road. 

I had the same idea and picked up a few, along with a couple of the REVELL Crown Vics, which are slightly different from the LINDBERG version.  The REVELLS are also really cheap with a Michael's or Hobby Lobby coupon.

Here's Chuck Most's comparison of the LINDBERG and REVELL Crown Vic kits:

http://chuckmost.wixsite.com/madhouse-miniatures/single-post/2015/04/28/Crown-Vic-Smackdown-Lindberg-Vs-Revell   

Browsing through this thread and all I can do is shake my head and chuckle at the people gashing open on the '62 Vettes looking for the Metallic Orange ones.  Even those "Katch the Kat" kits say what color they're molded in right on the bottom, like a normal kit.  The people doing that have to be collectors/people who have big $$$ in their eyes for the resale market and oughta know how that box bottom printing works by now.

Browsing through this thread and all I can do is shake my head and chuckle at the people gashing open on the '62 Vettes looking for the Metallic Orange ones.  Even those "Katch the Kat" kits say what color they're molded in right on the bottom, like a normal kit.  The people doing that have to be collectors/people who have big $$$ in their eyes for the resale market and oughta know how that box bottom printing works by now.

Agreed. My local Ollies had a total of seven of those kits, all sloppily ripped open then thrown back on the table. Sad.

What's left is on sale 40% off.  The local stores only have the Chevy SSR and surprisingly, only a few Lindberg cop cars.  Lots of dinosaurs, airplanes, eagle and the Shuttle.

Anderson, SC store today (1/4/17):  same, except not even any SSRs. Or any AMT kits or even cars, except the GA/NC/TN Crown Vics.  Still quite a few of the Weird-Oh and "Rube Goldberg" kits.

Same town, Hobby Lobby had nothing new and only a couple of ancient LINDBERG Japanese battleships on Clearance.  The Hobby Lobby in Easley, SC had a couple of Piranhas on the Clearance aisle for $10.79, IIRC.

Even the Flea Market was a bust today. Only thing I found there was a stack of old Hemmings Muscle Machine magazines from 2004-05.  I was working overseas for much of that time and missed quite a few issues.  They were cheap (10 mags for $8).

• 3 months later...

Just got the newest Ollie's flyer for my area (North Olmsted, Oh) for May 3rd and they have more models on page 6.  "One of Ollie's Largest Model Buyouts Ever!"  Guess what I need to do some night this week.

Capture.thumb.JPG.5cf69299971b1adbfd8db6

I was in a store the other day, purely by chance...tons of pre-Round 2 Lindberg stuff, mostly large items like the submarines and stagecoach.  No other brands at all.  The cars were pretty much the ones pictured in the flyer, plus they had the Dodge L-700/flatbed trailer/Little Red Wagon combo (those were $20).  They had a couple of versions of the '64 Dodge (Maverick and Ramchargers).  Nothing I "needed", so I passed... 

At 7.99, you can't loose. I have an Ollies minutes from work and one minutes from home. I hit the one near the office after work today, I picked up 2 of the Sox and Martin GTX;s. I'll do one up like the box and the other like the GTX in Tommy Boy. I'll hit the one near home after class tonite!

Stopped today at the same store I was in last Saturday...someone scarfed all of the L-700/LRW combo kits, but they did have Revell kits today.  Stock version '62 Corvette, Surfite, Showboat dragster, Fink Speedwagon, Matt Hay T-Bird, old-tool '41 Willys coupe, and Slingster dragster.  I snagged two of the latter, will leave 'em sealed and set them in the attic...if I don't do anything with them in a couple of years, I'll throw them on the sale pile and get more than $8 apiece back on them to help pay for the show table.

I was in a store the other day, purely by chance...tons of pre-Round 2 Lindberg stuff, mostly large items like the submarines and stagecoach.  No other brands at all.  The cars were pretty much the ones pictured in the flyer, plus they had the Dodge L-700/flatbed trailer/Little Red Wagon combo (those were $20).  They had a couple of versions of the '64 Dodge (Maverick and Ramchargers).  Nothing I "needed", so I passed... 

Same here (Albany, NY) yesterday . I saw your update, though. I'll check mine again tomorrow. 

Edited by Matt T.

Stopped today at the same store I was in last Saturday...someone scarfed all of the L-700/LRW combo kits, but they did have Revell kits today.  Stock version '62 Corvette, Surfite, Showboat dragster, Fink Speedwagon, Matt Hay T-Bird, old-tool '41 Willys coupe, and Slingster dragster.  I snagged two of the latter, will leave 'em sealed and set them in the attic...if I don't do anything with them in a couple of years, I'll throw them on the sale pile and get more than $8 apiece back on them to help pay for the show table.

Yup....

There's a guy on Facebook selling them at $30.00 each plus shipping.... He keeps saying he only has two, but he's only had two for about a week now.....

Yup....

There's a guy on Facebook selling them at $30.00 each plus shipping.... He keeps saying he only has two, but he's only had two for about a week now.....

Around here, I'll be seeing them at the 1:1 automotive swap meets.  There's one this coming Sunday; I'll bet that some will turn up there.