Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

Wife was traveling today and saw a new Ollie's in Dunrbar WV. She hit the mother lode!!!! Ivo, Surfite, Hayes TBird, Slingster dragster, 48 Ford and 90 Mustang cop car!!!!  Thank God my wife grew up in a house full of model builders....she gets it and picked them all up, multiples, for me!!!! 

Happy guy here!!!! 

Anderson, SC Ollie's, today, 5/19/2017:  same old tired Lindberg load.  After reading the posts in here about other Ollie's stores "resetting," I was hoping to find the good stuff. Nope. Oh well, maybe next time...

The Hobby Lobby in Anderson had the Molotow Liquid Chrome markers. 1mm and 2mm ($11.99 each) and 4mm ($12.99).  So I picked up a 1 and 2mm.  That HL didn't have any newer kits and no kits were in the Clearance aisle.

After going to the Greenville, S.C. Ollies first time (Nabbed the Bull T and Bill Golden Mopar), stopped for a third time and they had the slingsters!!!!! Only took 3. Great american wheels(12 spokes), small blocks, driver figure, some neat goodies in this kit. Kinda weird, I thought the sale was only Lindberg's.

After going to the Greenville, S.C. Ollies first time...

Thanks. I may try that store again, but Greenville is about a 50-mile drive for me.  OTOH, if I take Hwy. 123 I can also hit a Hobby Lobby and the Hobby Connection shop in Easley on the way.  And I could use a Costco re-supply stop on Woodruff Rd...hmmm...

Has anyone seen the Coronado boat kit in an Ollie's?  That's still a pretty new release, so I'd be kind of surprised if it was already in a blow-out sale. But I guess stranger things have happened.

Do any of the Ollie's have the Lindberg Coronado boat kit yet?

Round2 production method is VERY different than J Loyd's.....so do not bank on any of R2 stuff showing up at Ollie's......bet they ran less than 5K on the boats and they will sit on them until they sell. J Loyd must have run 10K on that Civil War gun as every store has 2 cases.......

Thanks. I may try that store again, but Greenville is about a 50-mile drive for me.  OTOH, if I take Hwy. 123 I can also hit a Hobby Lobby and the Hobby Connection shop in Easley on the way.  And I could use a Costco re-supply stop on Woodruff Rd...hmmm...

Has anyone seen the Coronado boat kit in an Ollie's?  That's still a pretty new release, so I'd be kind of surprised if it was already in a blow-out sale. But I guess stranger things have happened.

Does costco sell model kits?

You guys on the east coast don't have any idea how lucky you are to have an Ollie's around. I see all the kits you are getting and the prices are great.I would be stocking up on kits as parts donars. Hobby Lobby clearence price is the same as their 40% off coupon price.

Does costco sell model kits?

No. But there is a Michael's near Costco, almost at the intersection of Woodruff Rd. and Laurens Rd.

"Costco re-supply" means I'm almost out of critical, life-sustaining stuff like their beef jerky, peanut butter, big box of candy bars, etc. 

No. But there is a Michael's near Costco, almost at the intersection of Woodruff Rd. and Laurens Rd.

"Costco re-supply" means I'm almost out of critical, life-sustaining stuff like their beef jerky, peanut butter, big box of candy bars, etc. 

Had me goin' Mike. I got ya now.....health food re-supply!!!! Been to the Michael's, no kit deals like Ollie's.

If you haven't signed up for an Ollie's card, do it next time you are there. I got a post card in the mail today that gives me an extra 15% off my next purchase, imagine another discount on top of an already great price!

I used my 15% on my last haul......$6.80 per kit.......worth it for parts!!!! 

Since we moved back to Philly after 2+ years on the west coast, Ollie's has arrived.  Stopped by the Cherry Hill, NJ one today.  Kits were split between a table and the toy aisle.  Everything listed above was there except for the LRW double kit, Ivo showboat, Hay T-bird and Surfite I believe.

I managed to control myself and pick up just a Slingster, which I will build, and the 55 JukeBox Ford, which I am not sure why I bought!  I recall that whenever Revell originally came out with the '66 Chevelle wagon that some of those eventually ended up in Big Lots.  Wouldn't be surprised if they think they have way too much inventory they ditch it at Ollie's.  They get cash for it now instead of sitting on the inventory for years - perhaps 10,008 Boxsters were expected to sit for way to long!

The Ollie's in Anderson, SC finally got some of the Good Stuff!  Today (6/1/17) it had the Revell Jukebox '55 Ford, Roth Surfite and '67 Plymouth GTX Sox & Martin.  Still no Showboats, Slingsters, 48 Fords or  90 Mustangs (unless some of you greed-heads bought them all!).  I asked at the check-out and they would only tell me they will be putting out model kits for "some time to come."

So if your local Ollie's is still only selling Lindberg cannons and steamboats, keep checking.  They may surprise you yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stopped at the Ollie's in Anderson, SC last Saturday.  Looks like they've run out of stuff for the Big Kit Sale.  Couple of weeks ago, they had a whole center-aisle "island" with nothing but plastic model kits.  Mostly Lindberg boats, Civil War cannons and other un-interesting items.  Now the few remaining kits have been tossed into the regular toy aisle.