Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

6 minutes ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Once again: AMT pumper, AMT Diamond Reo, AMT C/O Kenworth, AMT/Ertl International, AMT plated tanker, AMT 75 Gremlin, AMT 62 T Bird

was my haul. Picture of end cap at my store. Seems like Ollie's is the toy show since there aren't any.

20201027_134833.jpg.a8cafe116cdf45a4d781f0c5dd8709fd.jpg

greg

Mine never has kits like that. id go broke...........

I checked my local Ollie's a bit ago. The only thing new I saw was a stack of the orange KW's and a couple of the big Lindberg battleship kits. I'll check back later in the week. 

It makes you wonder how many of these Round 2 kits actually sell through normal channels. I can't imagine Round 2 making a big profit if they're wholesaling kits to the clearance guys like Ollie's.

2 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Once again: AMT pumper, AMT Diamond Reo, AMT C/O Kenworth, AMT/Ertl International, AMT plated tanker, AMT 75 Gremlin, AMT 62 T Bird

was my haul. Picture of end cap at my store. Seems like Ollie's is the toy show since there aren't any.

greg

I like that Hurst/Olds kit..... ???

I checked my local stores to scout them, see what aisle they will be in to save time looking for them in the sale product presentation. The Ypsilanti store on Ellsworth rd had the Lindberg" Big Red Rod" kits at $ 39.95.The price has dropped $10.00  from 6 weeks ago, since people found out the chrome wasn't plated. The store had about 10-12 left when I left.  Happy hunting!

16 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

greg

Dang.The one here in town never has any kits like that.Im heading to the beach this weekend.I will check the Ollies there to see what they have.

The production date on the bottom of the kits is 7/1/2020.This must be a run of kits just for Ollie's  to sell. Maybe it is sold to Ollie's and then the cash goes to pay  off the tooling bill to Rc2/ Tomy?. Round 2 did this last year also! Also look on the website, they are opening up new stores in different states!!!

These 'dumps' may be runs just for Ollies. Almost 400 stores, just 6 kits per store, 2400 kits.....right at the 2500 minimum we ran at Model King when they allowed private runs. No storage or warehouse cost, maybe COD, it all equals cash flow AND exposure of hobby kits to folks that may not seek out models. Win - Win.... Going in a few minutes to check!!!

Lexington NC store has K123, Diamond Reo, Flatbed, Tanker, and Pumper Fire truck, along with several cars including the Gremlin. You have to really look for them though. They are scattered all over the store and somewhat hidden sometimes. I couldn’t find any 4300s but that doesn’t necessarily mean that they don’t have any.

1 hour ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Lexington NC store has K123, Diamond Reo, Flatbed, Tanker, and Pumper Fire truck, along with several cars including the Gremlin. You have to really look for them though. They are scattered all over the store and somewhat hidden sometimes. I couldn’t find any 4300s but that doesn’t necessarily mean that they don’t have any.

Wonder how they get out for place?  Guys changing their mind or teenagers?

2 minutes ago, slusher said:

No Ollies making it like an Easter egg hunt.......... The one in Taylor is bad for it. no rhyme or reason, while Monroe is very organized.  

I don't have much luck finding the good models at ollies, but yesterday went went & they had shelves full. (Middletown N.Y.) They had the newer corvette kits (not interested) 55 vette, escalade, camaro, cutlass, t-bird, K123, Diamond Reo, Flatbed, Tanker, and Pumper Fire truck, some planes & ships. I looked at the shipping boxes on the top of the shelves and saw they had more to put out but they were the same kits. If they were different I would have torn into them, the nice thing about being 6'8" I can usually reach the top shelves. I have to travel about 40 miles to get there but we were going to other stores so it worked out. They have another ollies in Kingston but that's a little further & I think I have enough right now.

SUNP0002.JPG

36 minutes ago, slusher said:

At the Lexington store they don’t really have an organized system of putting out stock usually. The toys are somewhat together, but the models are often scattered throughout the toys. The flatbeds were all by themselves. I almost missed them after looking through everything 3 times. The Gremlins were by themselves. The KWs, Diamond Reos, Fire Trucks and some of the tankers were together though. 
I guess it adds to the adventure, not to mention we are getting some wind off of the hurricane and the power went off and the cash registers went off line while I was there.

Thankfully I had some cash on me. I left with a Kw, 2 Diamond Reos, and 2 flat beds.

This topic is useful. I have seven (7) Olie's stores within driving distance from my home. The closest being 10-15 minutes away, and the farthest being 1.5 hour drive away. Most of the time I only tend to check the store closest to me.  What I believe would help this topic thrive is if people would put more information in their replies.

I try to put in the following to help others out:

What the store had to offer:

A rough guess as to the amount the store had: Telling me they had some does not encurage me to drive 1.5 hours away to find they only had 2 of that kit and both sold out.

Location of the store, including city/state: For example telling everyone the Washington store has pallets of a certain kit is not helpful since there are 88 cities in the US that are named Washington.

Just some ideas, thanks Peter

54 minutes ago, mchook said:

I don't have much luck finding the good models at ollies, but yesterday went went & they had shelves full. (Middletown N.Y.) They had the newer corvette kits (not interested) 55 vette, escalade, camaro, cutlass, t-bird, K123, Diamond Reo, Flatbed, Tanker, and Pumper Fire truck, some planes & ships. I looked at the shipping boxes on the top of the shelves and saw they had more to put out but they were the same kits. If they were different I would have torn into them, the nice thing about being 6'8" I can usually reach the top shelves. I have to travel about 40 miles to get there but we were going to other stores so it worked out. They have another ollies in Kingston but that's a little further & I think I have enough right now.

SUNP0002.JPG

Mine had the same but also a Gremlin X kit. My Oliie's is in Colonie NY.

ollies.jpeg

Back.........My store was just putting them out. Got Gremlin, 62 Bird and Olds. Had Vettes and Camaros, Cameos  nothing more. Lady working the shelves said they may have more....they just pull out a pallet and unbox....no idea what they have. I'll visit SAT......