Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

On 10/31/2020 at 2:42 PM, Tiger89 said:

In Greenville, SC yesterday, they had over a dozen Hurst Olds, even more of KW cabovers and pumpers, nothing else. I just came home with one of the Olds.  I bought the plated tank trailer there a year ago.  Yeah, we can expect to see these listed on E-bay and Model Car Marketplace.

Interesting.  Today I stopped at the Ollie's in Easley, SC.  Didn't see any Hurst-Olds, but they might have been buried.  Plenty of International semi trucks, Diamond Reos, Kenworths, plated trailers, Gremlins, '06 Camaros, '62 T-Birds and some others.

I grabbed a Diamond Reo, International semi and a '62 T-Bird because it's such a Ford parts gold-mine.  Those were priced at $19.99 for the big trucks and $9.99 for the T-Bird, for a total of about $50.  The magic Ollie's coupon brought that down to $33.

Also dropped by the Hobby Connection, the only thing resembling a real hobby shop that I know in the Upstate.  It had the Revell Cadillac Lowrider for $24.99 and I grabbed it.  Those kits are going for outrageous prices on eBay.

I went out at lunchtime today to a plumbing supply house and figured I’d check out the second Ollie’s near work. 

Same picked over assortment.. the snap kit Corvettes and Camaro, Escalades and a few of the trucks left. I did grab the last two T-Birds which made the excursion worthwhile. 

stopped by Lewis Ave Toledo store today and they still had quite a few, didn't see the olds and the flatbed but rest were there,  grabbed 1 each of the rigs, I have no interest in the other stuff so grab em before the resellers do, also they had a big red rod in the markdown section  I think it was marked $24 but I didn't open it  

Lurked in FSM forums and one poster sent the news Ollie's got kits and posted what he picked up - Civil War wagon kit. 

No mention on the newest stock. My guess he was too late for the party and didn't know or didn't see the no rigs, trailers, T-bird, Corvettes, Hurst Olds, etc... kits

But hey he mentioned the Snark middle kit though.?

5 hours ago, wrenchr said:

The Westland Ollies had the 57 chevy cameo pickup yesterday. grabbed one. 

I went to three Ollies and they didn’t have this one. One of my favorite kits.. opened a box in my basement model vault and It was an entire case of 12 of different versions of the 55-57 pickups. So I don’t need any more!

I happened to be in the area of my local Ollie’s store and decided to see what they had left. Tanker trailers, all the modern Corvettes, Escalades, Camaro Concept kits, Revell Delta Dart Jet, and surprise, surprise... LaFrance Pumper fire trucks. Was debating on whether or not to grab one but decided not to.

1 hour ago, Robberbaron said:

Stopped in at the Merrillville, IN store again last night.

Down to the dregs with the automotive kits: nothing but curbside Vettes and the Camaro concept.

Gotta think and they'll be getting at least one more shipment in before X-mas?

Be nice if they got some more of the Lindberg 37 Fords - missed out on those before!

It does seem Ollie’s is adding to the stock, so check stores you’ve already been to. On my was home from work Friday, I stopped at the Norristown PA store I had bought kits at a week ago.  

This week they had 62 Thunderbirds and 55 Chevy Cameos.  I had already bought 2 Thunderbirds at the Horsham store so I bought another 3.  These have a modern era chassis and drivetrain which I want to use under my early 60s ‘birds.  

I didn’t buy any Cameos as I already have enough to last a lifetime.