Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

On 11/16/2020 at 9:56 AM, ewetwo said:

I've never seen the 48 ford or the chevy pickup at the Ollies near me. Not that I need more kits. LOL

I resemble that remark!  I bought a total of 5 1962 Thunderbirds with the delusion of using the innards to rebuild my 1960-66 cars!  At the speed I build?

Edited by Tom Geiger

On 11/17/2020 at 12:47 PM, Tom Geiger said:

I resemble that remark!  I bought a total of 5 1962 Thunderbirds with the delusion of using the innards to rebuild my 1960-66 cars!  At the speed I build?

That '62 T-Bird lures me in every time, too.  Just can't pass them up.  Found one in Ollie's recently and it came home with me.  Even though I already had 2 of that newer version.  And 1 of the original release, with the red T-Bird on the box which didn't have the stock 4-barrel and other parts in the re-issue.

Oh, forgot.  Now I have TWO of the original release.  At a flea market, I found a cheap AMT "Value Pack," with 3 kits, a tube of glue and paints.  The 3 kits in that Value Pack are all great parts sources:  the '62 T-Bird, '69 Olds 442 and the '66 Buick Riviera.

Stopped at the Ollie's yesterday in Anderson, SC.  It had loads of Revell Police '48 Fords, AMT '55 Corvettes, and some of the 2012-up Vettes, Camaros etc.  Also the ex-ERTL International Transtar 4300 Eagle.  Going off-topic, plenty of Revell 1/48 scale Focke-Wulf Fw-190's, Lindberg Tug Boats, Mars Explorer missiles, Civil War Cannons and Stagecoaches.

There was one lonely Lindberg "Big Red Rod" 1/8 scale bucket T on display.  If the store had any more of those, they were buried where I couldn't see them.  Or maybe the store only brings out one of those at a time, since they take up so much room.

• 2 months later...

I got a coupon for 15% off entire purchase from ollies so I figured lets see if they had any models. They didn't have anything I wanted but I did notice some Revell kits for kids that I've never seen before. These would be cool to get some younger generations to start building. They had a firetruck, police jeep, race car and off road jeep. Here's the off road jeep.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped at one store here late last week...no car/truck items, all Revell...Scooby-Doo, Star Wars, and beginner stuff intended for kids.  I wonder if they had to dump the Star Wars items...licensing period ended for Revell?

On 2/18/2021 at 8:37 AM, Mark said:

I stopped at one store here late last week...no car/truck items, all Revell...Scooby-Doo, Star Wars, and beginner stuff intended for kids.  I wonder if they had to dump the Star Wars items...licensing period ended for Revell?

Exact same stuff at mine, zilch.

• 3 months later...

I went to the new Barkhampsted CT Ollie's yesterday, and was surprised to see model kits there.  They had these kits for $9.99 and some trucks for $16.99.  I bought the Gremlin.  I also had a 15% off coupon that would have expired next week, so that worked out great.  

Somebody let us know if they have any other kits. I wouldn't drive across town for the Gremlin, VW, and '57 Ford if they were free. (I still haven't built the '57 Ford I bought in the '90s, and possibly never will. :lol: )