Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

I don't even bother. The closest Ollies is an hour and a half away. I won't waste my time going anymore. But there is suppose to be a new Ollie's 5 minutes from my house. But it's suppose to open late summer so I doubt the models will be there. Part of Ollie's problem is hiring people. Every time I'd go they had maybe 3 employees at a time. The new one has had hiring ads in the paper for months. But hiring issues are everywhere now. Walmart sent a post card out stating they where hiring at the local distribution center starting at $27.25/hour. Plus a $3000 sign on bonus. Plus health, vision, and dental. 401K with company match. That's more than I made as a supervisor for 33 year at the NYS Senate.

3 hours ago, HomerS said:

I went out to Ollie's website and filled on their survey and told them the stuff that happened at my local stores.  Surprisingly I got a call from the area manager who blamed it on shipping issues/staffing issues at the warehouse and that they track any pre-sales to prevent stuff not being available.  I said that isn't happening as the one pic I posted was taken at the store opening the day the sale started.  She said it's the Amazon sellers that are hoarding them and they try to limit them to no more than half a case (yeah, that's not happening either).  The second store had nothing and when I asked the clerk she admitted to pulling some for her dad but he didn't want the one rig (I told her I would take it).  I said the Camaro and Escalades linger for months after the add and this time there wasn't even an empty box.  I invited her to visit this forum subject to see how widespread it is.

Good idea in doing the survey. I will do it as well. All your points are valid complaints and it is a big problem with Ollie’s allowing these eBay sellers hoarding all of them and leaving the scraps for the rest of us. It’s time their home office and store managers to man up and stop making excuses. As the old saying goes; Money talks, BS walks. 

FWIW... I doubt anyone from Ollie’s will visit this forum to understand why folks are left out in buying any model kits in their stores because of the hoarding and greed by these eBay sellers. They don’t care.

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Funny thing.. if you got on the line with six cans of beans, they’d probably make you put two back!    😝

True.......but they got 400 cans of beans per store where as my store got 10 of just a few kits. (IH, ALF, OLDS and Merc police)

IF you do get 6 cans of beans....pick up some Gas-Ex too! 

6 hours ago, HomerS said:

Point blank, I wanted one of each on the cars as I have a teenager that I actually talked into attending the local model car club meeting (he seemed to be into it!)  He is learning airbrushing so at $10/each, I will get him several kits to experiment on.

Wait wait wait...you mean to tell me that in a model car club the members can't cough up some kits out of their own stash to "donate to the worthy cause"? Give him some decent Revell kits that were made since his parents were born instead of burying him in a bunch of 40-60 yr old model kit reissues that didn't assemble that great when they were new. 

Thanks everyone for posting what you have been finding. I had pretty much given up but decided to check again because of what has been said. Maybe some places get certain ones at certain times, maybe it's to keep you coming back, but there were different kits today. I got the three Volkswagens and two Gremlins I wanted. Maybe they will get different ones in a few weeks and I can get the last two I want. 

14 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Ollie’s has a large sign up front in my local store stating they will limit quantities to assure availability.

That’s obviously left to the cashier level and isn’t being followed if sales are up to $1000.  But their money is green!

The stores here in the Toledo Area have limit signs for the fancy garage lights. that is the only limit sign I have seen.  The one store in the south end of Toledo was closed for a week, the only reason I got to purchase a couple 57 Fords. 

14 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

The stores here in the Toledo Area have limit signs for the fancy garage lights. that is the only limit sign I have seen.  The one store in the south end of Toledo was closed for a week, the only reason I got to purchase a couple 57 Fords. 

any chance that store has some Pete cab overs ?? or drag truck ?? I made it to Monroe Mi and Lewis ave and both just had some leftover cars 

7 hours ago, 440 Dakota said:

any chance that store has some Pete cab overs ?? or drag truck ?? I made it to Monroe Mi and Lewis ave and both just had some leftover cars 

Ron, Last Sunday the Reynolds Store had both of those.  But that store was closed all week and opened on Sunday Morning. I was these around 5ish.  They were on an End cap almost walked past them. 

42 minutes ago, iBorg said:

I bet when all Ollie's has to offer are Lindberg Stagecoaches, Civil War and Snark missiles, they limit buyers to ONE kit of each.

🤪

The Beckley store got a dozen stagecoaches and after I decided I needed one a few days later I went back and got the last one. My Ollies still has Civil War cannons from 2 dumps ago!!!  

2 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Our local store, back when COVID was starting to hit the area badly, had a big display with one of those yellow signs reading “COVID CURES!”

It was boxes of facial tissues, Allegra cold medicine and face masks. 🤔🤪

Mine had this sign up. Even though they bamboozled me on the kits, I still shop there. 

132016469_10222463623407028_8547590917632619075_n.jpg

Stopped by Ollie’s today and surprisingly they still have a few kits left. A lot of “Concept” Camaro, Chrysler 300, a few ‘72 GTO, about 3 or 4 1997 Mustang GT, International rig, and one ‘69 Dodge Daytona. Of course the leftover from last year, the Civil War Cannon kits....