Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

On 6/24/2021 at 12:05 PM, Dave Van said:

Lexington KY this AM

ollies.jpg

As previously mentioned, Ollie's has restocked with a great selection of AMT kits. June 27-July 3rd they are having a 15 Percent off storewide sale on everything in stock. This makes what is already a bargain, even more affordable. Time to stock up!!

Went to the closest Ollie's today.  Anderson, SC, for those in the area.  This store still had a few '72 GTOs, a few Gremlins and one lonely '69 Olds 442 that I could find.  Finding the kits wasn't easy.  They were crammed in the toy shelves along with everything else.

In the Paint section, I found one can of Krylon ColorMax Flat Crystal Clear and grabbed it.  You can never have too much Flat Clear.

The Book section had "Steve McQueen: The Life" in hardback for $3.99. Lots of stuff about his car life, including an interview with Stirling Moss, info about "Bullitt" and "LeMans," etc.   Also a great large-sized photo book for aviation fans, "Storm Of Eagles" for $12.99. About WWII Allied and Axis aircraft in every theater, including Russia, the Mediterranean and CBI.  Big clear photos and lots of interesting info.

• Like 1

Today I had other errands to run and hit the Ollie's in Easley, SC.  Their model kits were at least neatly arranged and findable, but displayed on 2 different aisles in the Toys section.

Toy Aisle 1:  '69 GTX hardtop; '72 GTO; Gremlin; '05 Chrysler 300; VW Sirocco

Toy Aisle 2:  '49 Mercury Police Car; Custom Pumper Fire Truck

Edited by Mike999

You do have to look around the entire store! I’ve found models in all the listed spaces, and on shelving out in the middle of a main aisle. 

Also, don’t forget to check for paint!  They often have Duplicolor auto paint.. random colors and primers.  I always buy all the gray primer they have!   

Stopped by to Ollie’s this afternoon out of curiousity. Sure enough, they have a few Chrysler 300 kits and a couple of Camaro “Concept” kits. I did notice they also had Lindburgh 1/72 scale combo jet fighter set (A-4 Skyhawk and F-4 Phantom) Both kits can be built up as damaged versions. They also had a couple Lindburg Man O’ War sailing ships - Gouda (Dutch) and the Santa Catarina do Monte Sinai (Portuguese).

• 2 months later...

Stopped at the Ollie's in Anderson, SC on Thursday 9/9/21.  That was disappointing.  The store had 2 Lindberg Civil War Cannon kits, and 1 Lindberg Mars Probe spaceship.  Not much for modeling in the Paint aisle, either.

I did find "Harley-Davidson:  The Life" for $3.99, with lots of vintage photos and Harley history.  On the last visit I got "Steve McQueen:  The Life."

If you like WWII history, Ollie's has "The Guns at Last Light: The War in Western Europe 1944-45 " by Rick Atkinson, a huge and detailed book.  I just finished reading it.  It's part of a trilogy, so now I'll probably get the first two.