Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

I remember going to Ollie's for the first time to look for model kits a couple years ago.  They had about 30 of the Revell Danica Patrick and Kevin Harvick kits for $9.99 each.  I bought four and thought about getting them all.  Should have as you can't even find these on eBay any more and when you do they are at least $60 each.

11 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

The old Lindberg battle damaged option aircraft kits? Yeah, I’ve been seeing those at my local Ollie’s store.

They were Lindbergh kits and mostly war planes so probably so but I did see one that look like a regular commuter plane….

4 hours ago, Zippi said:

I have never been to one of the Ollie's stores.  Just did a search for model car kits at both Ollie's stores near me and some in the Ohio area.  My results found 0.  Do they carrie kits just certain times of the year?  

My first thought was around November when I first heard about it. Then just this past Spring, they stocked more kits. My guess it’s bi annually - spring and late fall. 

16 hours ago, Zippi said:

I have never been to one of the Ollie's stores.  Just did a search for model car kits at both Ollie's stores near me and some in the Ohio area.  My results found 0.  Do they carrie kits just certain times of the year?  

They are an outlet store, but they seem to get toys and other Christmas gift idea products every fall.  Keep an eye out in there adds in the next month or 2.

On 9/11/2021 at 6:23 AM, jchrisf said:

I remember going to Ollie's for the first time to look for model kits a couple years ago.  They had about 30 of the Revell Danica Patrick and Kevin Harvick kits for $9.99 each.  I bought four and thought about getting them all.  Should have as you can't even find these on eBay any more and when you do they are at least $60 each.

The Danica kits were a limited run just like the Chase Elliott kits, I'm thinking 5000 because that was the run on the Chevy's and the Harvick kits were 10k.

Edited by bigryan18

4 hours ago, bigryan18 said:

The Danica kits were a limited run just like the Chase Elliott kits, I'm thinking 5000 because that was the run on the Chevy's and the Harvick kits were 10k.

Did the Chase Elliott kits run first?  Because I never saw one of those new anywhere.

The stores around here have/had two airliner kits: one Lindberg, one Hawk.  The Lindberg airliner has an optional  clear fuselage half to show the interior detail, the Hawk kit has a hinged side panel.  I thought about grabbing one of the Lindberg kits, but I know there's no way I'll ever sit down and build the thing.

They also had one of the Lindberg figure kits, I believe Round 2 announced it as never having been released back when it was tooled.  No cars left on the shelves from the most recent dump, other than a lone AMT 2004 Chrysler 300.

18 hours ago, jchrisf said:

Did the Chase Elliott kits run first?  Because I never saw one of those new anywhere.

That I don't remember but because of the Monster Energy branding Hobby Lobby did'nt carry them so I bought some of mine on Ebay,Amazon, and Facebook and the rest I got from guys who shopped at Ollie's..

On 9/11/2021 at 7:12 AM, Zippi said:

Do they carrie kits just certain times of the year?  

It's hit or miss!  Ollie's is a close out store. It seems they get a batch of kits a few times a year, one of those being right before Christmas.  The kits they get aren't prime "must haves"  but for $10 a kit we buy some for parts and such.

2 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

It's hit or miss!  Ollie's is a close out store. It seems they get a batch of kits a few times a year, one of those being right before Christmas.  The kits they get aren't prime "must haves"  but for $10 a kit we buy some for parts and such.

Thanks for the info Tom.  I'll keep an eye on their ads.

On 9/11/2021 at 11:26 PM, 1930fordpickup said:

They are an outlet store, but they seem to get toys and other Christmas gift idea products every fall.  Keep an eye out in there adds in the next month or 2.

They are also an excellent source for inexpensive books, most are about 75% off regular price.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 1:40 PM, misterNNL said:

They are also an excellent source for inexpensive books, most are about 75% off regular price.

My closest Ollie's has a series of books with the title "The Life."  They're $3.99, originally priced at $30.  Hardback with lots of photos and interesting writing So far I've found 2 of those books at Ollie's, "The Life: Steve McQueen" and 'The Life: Harley-Davidson." 

Also found the big hardback photo-book "Storm of Eagles: The Greatest Aviation Photographs of World War II."  

On 9/14/2021 at 1:40 PM, misterNNL said:

Yup. The book Mike999 mentioned is one I want to get. Saw another called Last Dogfight over Tokyo. A story about the Japanese Zeroes attacking 6 Navy aircrafts on patrol  (2 returned to the carrier) on the day Japan surrendered to end WW2. There is another I can’t recall I wanted too.

• Like 1