Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

27 minutes ago, Zippi said:

So, when Ollie's gets their models in are they normally at a reduced price or will I see the normal $24.99 to $29.99 prices?

Ollie’s is a close out store. They’ll put them on the shelf at the $10 price. I dunno if they’re overstock from Round 2, but due to the volume of all the Ollies stores they are probably a special run made for them.

25 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

It's been so long since I have seen any decent car kits at my Ollies I don't remember when it was, probably as long a 2 years,  But mine is not in a major city so that may be an issue.

Our Ollies is in Fairlia WV....not much smaller than that. We get 90% of what everyone else gets....I think it's just luck of the draw. Ollies send 20 cases of kits to each store....the mix is pot luck!  I bet since the kit dump started I have bought 50 kits.....some of mine have a $5.99 price one them....which is what they were the first dump. 

On 11/1/2021 at 6:09 AM, Zippi said:

So, when Ollie's gets their models in are they normally at a reduced price or will I see the normal $24.99 to $29.99 prices?

On 11/1/2021 at 6:38 AM, Tom Geiger said:

Ollie’s is a close out store. They’ll put them on the shelf at the $10 price. I dunno if they’re overstock from Round 2, but due to the volume of all the Ollies stores they are probably a special run made for them.

On 11/1/2021 at 7:05 PM, Tabbysdaddy said:

Car kits $9.99 semis $19.99

Just to clarify: for the last several years, the standard pricing has been $9.99 for cars/SUVs/Pickups, $19.99 for semis.  With the current rampant inflation, I'd be surprised if Ollie's prices DON'T jump at least a couple bucks the next time they get a batch of kits.  As long as they stay about half the cost of HL at 40% off, they won't have problems moving them.

Regarding overstock, for years it seemed like that was what Ollies was selling.  However, it seems like virtually all the AMT/MPC stuff from the last couple years must be special runs just for them.  The production dates on the kits are usually just a couple months prior to the date they're sold - too short of a time for them to be sitting around at another retailer and then shuffled over to Ollie's warehouses, to then be distributed.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the weird Lindberg stuff (like the civil war cannon) that we keep seeing is still overstock from years ago.

Edited by Robberbaron
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Regarding overstock, for years it seemed like that was what seemed like that was what Ollies was selling.  However, it seems like virtually all the AMT/MPC stuff from the last couple years must be special runs just for them.  The production dates on the kits are usually just a couple months prior to the date they're sold - too short of a time for them to be sitting around at another retailer and then shuffled over to Ollie's warehouses, to then be distributed.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the weird Lindberg stuff (like the civil war cannon) that we keep seeing is still overstock from years ago.

They may have received items produced specifically for them, perhaps to use up already booked production capacity.

On the other hand, those cannon and stagecoach kits are definitely old production.

I'd bet that if we see them get any Round 2 stuff in the closing months of 2021, it will be leftovers from the previously received stuff.  With all those ships waiting to be unloaded, I doubt we'll see anything heavily discounted anytime soon.

Given that last time around it seems like not all stores got the same selection, they could pull a smart trick with any remaining inventory by sending kits to stores than they had the fire time around.

My local store, for instance had a bunch of late model Camaros but no VWS, and likely vice-versa at some other stores.

Not sure if they CARE enough to bother trying this though - they seem to disappear pretty fast when they get stock anyway...

If this go round is anything like that last one, the 5 Ollie's that I checked in my travels across the state of FL had no kits aside from the Scooby Do stuff and a few late model Camaros. No trucks, no VW's nothing. I don't bother making special trips anymore. I did find 2 AMT '55 Corvette kits at the Ollie's in Merritt Island, FL just sitting on a shelf by themselves. They went home with me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2021 at 8:22 AM, Zippi said:

I've been checking Ollie's flyers a couple times a weeks and I have not seen any models.  Looks like no models this Holiday.

Looks like Ollie's shipment is sitting in one of those containers on a ship off the west coast.  It is my understanding that Ollie's kits are not excess inventory from Round2, but are produced especially for Ollie's by Round2.

A.J.

• 11 months later...