Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

2 hours ago, Dpate said:

Probably have to swing by ollies now.  I was going like every 2 weeks, but they haven't had anything all year.  That classic cruiser looks pretty cool, except for the flames because flames are stupid.

This is the first time in several years that mine has advertised having auto model kits (I think the last time was pre-Covid).  Occasionally I would stop in to see if they had anything, and nada.  So eventually I pretty much stopped checking.

Regarding the old Monogram '56 Chevy, it does suffer from some proportional issues, like the majority of vintage Monogram kits.

I personally have no use for anything shown in the add, which so far seems to match what people are finding in store.  Now, if they also get some of the old Monogram '32 Ford Classic Cruiser kits,  I'd probably get several for parts.

I was able to get 2 of the Monogram '56 Chevy's yesterday.  Both will be gassers. They had about 3 cases of them. They also had the 2 snap Mustangs, The SR71 and some type of helicopter. I wonder if the piggies will buy them up? That price point leaves less room for profit and none of these are that in demand.......

6 minutes ago, larman said:

I was able to get 2 of the Monogram '56 Chevy's yesterday.  Both will be gassers. They had about 3 cases of them. They also had the 2 snap Mustangs, The SR71 and some type of helicopter. I wonder if the piggies will buy them up? That price point leaves less room for profit and none of these are that in demand.......

They might buy them up as I've seen some mid $30 range on ebay.  My friend got me 2 from ollies as well as i don't own any version of the kit. I opened one of mine and checked it out, and very clean kit no flash parts are detailed pretty good etc the decals are lacking though.  I'll probably be picking up a PE set for eventually. 

I checked  my Ollie's today as I was in the area. The normal snap and 56 were in the Christmas inflatables row. I was cutting through or I'd never seen them.  Grabbed a 56 and Jeep....not sure why. Young guy at checkout did not even know they had gotten them.....I had to tell a store employee where they were!!!!!!!!

On 12/2/2022 at 7:05 AM, LL3 Model Worx said:

I'd be happy to pick 2 up for you and send them if you like?

I mean we are both in Tennessee so shipping can't be too terrible.

I do appreciate it.. my kid hit me up earlier with a picture that says "hey this is a good deal isn't it?" I may just have them coming...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...