Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

Stopped at the Merrillville store again yesterday, nothing but a handful of 007 Galaxie police cars left.

I'll probably never need to buy another one of those Galaxies, I still have half a case of the Hobby Heaven reissue from about 20 (?) years ago...

33 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

$13 for the Trikes is to high....or I'd get a set.

On another aisle they had several Atlantis kits marked at $19.99. Ships, Missiles, etc. That's close to full retail price on those! LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

$13 for the Trikes is to high....or I'd get a set.

I think the is the price point that should have been retail so those and the Wacky Racers should have been $8.99 to move at a bargain store.

• Like 1

Around here, the stock varies wildly between the two stores within my reach.  One had a pretty decent assortment until a couple of weeks ago.  It looks like someone came in and cleaned out the "better" stuff, I'll probably be seeing some of that all summer at the outdoor automotive swap meets at double the price until they get tired of lugging it around.  Meanwhile, at the other store...a bunch of Monogram '82 Corvette snap kits...but in the paint section, they had Duplicolor filler primer...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since hearing about getting good deals on kits at Ollies I’ve wanted to check them out. Yesterday the wife and I took a road trip and I noticed an Ollie’s on our ride. As soon as I saw the store I told my wife we’ll be stopping there on the ay home. They had a small display on an end cap of a toy aisle. I found 3 kits I decided to buy. I wasn’t necessarily looking to buy anything in particular but the 3 pictured caught my eye. And for 12.99 each I couldn’t resist. So know I know what the hype is all about.

IMG_2136.thumb.jpeg.23901990d4c89cc3ed8a5c9fb7f07519.jpeg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Excuse my ignorance being a Brit living across the pond. 

What kind of store is Ollies?     Looking at the posts on here they seem to have lots of stores all over the US.

Ollies is a store where merchandise that doesn’t sell at normal retail locations can be purchased at a pretty steep discount.  They buy big lots from major retailers. The downside is that there is usually no continuity of products. You have to check back frequently to find the gems.

• Like 1