Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

10 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

They seem to be sending different kits to the stores now. Many times before one store would get 4 cases o the same car or truck kit. 

That is the case(haha!) here in Florida it seems. Both local Ollie's didn't have much just a few kits, but from photos I've seen here other stores get more variety.

2 minutes ago, youpey said:

I had never heard of ollies before. However there is one not too far from my home.  Do they typically stock plastic models or is it just random. 

They are a closeout store. They get what ever they can to sell mostly. Worth a trip. Models are cheap there. 

5 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

They are a closeout store. They get what ever they can to sell mostly. Worth a trip. Models are cheap there. 

i went there tonight. its quite an interesting store. they had about 7 or 8 different model cars and some 18 wheelers and a firetruck. 

i got a 75 gremlin, a vw scirocco, a 69 gtx and i got the fire truck. 

i have never been interested in fire trucks before, but for 20 dollars, its worth a look.

Does ollies rotate the stock often. I mean have different selections?  The kits i got are nice but really im not going to buy another set of these. None of them were on my must have list.

i got them cause they were cheap more than anything. 

30 minutes ago, youpey said:

Does ollies rotate the stock often. I mean have different selections?  The kits i got are nice but really im not going to buy another set of these. None of them were on my must have list.

i got them cause they were cheap more than anything. 

We figured out on here last Christmas that these are runs of kits that Round2 is doing directly for Ollie's, rather than the good ole days when they were actually getting close outs from hobby distributors.  This all started with a fake warehouse fire at Lindberg years ago, and then there were a few years when there would be a good mix of Revell and Round2 stuff, but the past two years or so, especially since Hobbico imploded and Revell was sold it's only this - eclectic - choice of Round2 kits.

They do these twice a year, once in the summer - I'd argue right as schools let out of the year, and then again at Christmas.  Looks like there's a few new things to this "dump" than there was at Christmas time last year, but a few of them are the same kits.  Either they sold well enough they ordered more, of they've been hanging out in the warehouse for the past 6 months.  

2 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

We figured out on here last Christmas that these are runs of kits that Round2 is doing directly for Ollie's, rather than the good ole days when they were actually getting close outs from hobby distributors.  This all started with a fake warehouse fire at Lindberg years ago, and then there were a few years when there would be a good mix of Revell and Round2 stuff, but the past two years or so, especially since Hobbico imploded and Revell was sold it's only this - eclectic - choice of Round2 kits.

They do these twice a year, once in the summer - I'd argue right as schools let out of the year, and then again at Christmas.  Looks like there's a few new things to this "dump" than there was at Christmas time last year, but a few of them are the same kits.  Either they sold well enough they ordered more, of they've been hanging out in the warehouse for the past 6 months.  

So they only change the model stock twice a year?

Does this thread contain the onfo about the fake fire and other stuff. Im interested in reading it

18 hours ago, MeatMan said:

I picked up the 57 Ford and the Hurst Olds but my wife wants me to go back and get one of the semis. I dunno though.

Dude if your wife wants you to go back and get a model kit I salute her ! Lmao that's that's a no Brainer

i just skimmed through this whole thread. the old horse and buggy really interests me. i wish i had seen this thread back then, although i wasnt going to stores then, so probably it wouldnt have mattered.

also, im surprised that 48 ford police car was at 10 dollars last year, that is a great kit

Edited by youpey

3 hours ago, youpey said:

So they only change the model stock twice a year?

Does this thread contain the onfo about the fake fire and other stuff. Im interested in reading it

They are a closeout store, they get what they get.  Even if these items are produced specifically for them, at the prices they pay for their stock they likely don't have a say in the choice of items.

I went to my local Ollie's on Tuesday, they only had a few Lindberg military kits, leftovers from last time. 

I went again on Thursday. They had what has been shown in the thread so far: '69 Hurst Olds, '69 GTX, '69 Chevelle convertible, '69 Charger Daytona, Chrysler 300, Gremlin, '97 Mustang, new Camaro, Scirocco, the Pumper, Diamond Reo, '57 Ford, '72 GTO, '49 Mercury, a Peterbuilt, etc. 

I think this is exactly the same stuff they got the last time around several months ago. I'm hoping they get some new stuff from Revell. A few years ago, they got some nice stuff in and I regret not having picked up more then. 

One guy had one of those Wacky Willy's in his hands at checkout :)

And- it begins. I have seen a flood of some of these kits on eBay, some with the price tags still on and the prices blacked out, or others with pieces of the price tags. A few sellers start them at $10 each, but most are listing them at $20-$30 each. These seem to sit around if they're overpriced. 

The GTX and Hurst Olds are excellent parts cars. The GTX comes with both a nice stock Hemi and 440 with 4 barrel and 6 barrel intakes. While the body is a little wonky, the chassis makes an excellent upgrade for almost any '68-'70 B Body kit. The Hurst Olds comes with an excellent chassis you can throw under almost any '68-'72 GM A-Body, and pad printed Goodyear Polyglas GT Tires.     

36 minutes ago, Mark said:

They are a closeout store, they get what they get. 

And I don’t buy the food there! Once I bought a can of cashews and they were old and stale..  Gummi bears 🐻 hard as a rock!

If you do go to buy kits, also look for Duplicolor paint.. hardware dept, or sometimes just on a rack out in an aisle.