Model Cars Magazine Forum

Re-built after 21 years (71 cuda')

Mercelo

Wow, thats looks awesome Mike, are you saying that you used the L shaped styrene? That certainly makes sense, l had never thought of using that. I'm getting a little smarter everyday, thanks to people like you...Thanks Mike!

Edited by Mercelo

Ok, here we go again...100_6085.thumb.jpg.978093a7550ac59db631aGot the chassis painted up, engine installed, wheels stripped and re painted, and the lettering on the tires completed.

100_6047.thumb.jpg.71247261a107e5cdb3afcThe interior is pretty basic, I just fussed with the wood grain a bit, and the rest is Tamiya Semi gloss black.

100_6076.thumb.jpg.9bbc775c6285c99ad24a4I sprayed the body with a Model Master enamel as close to Plymouth's Vitamin C as possible, and finished it off with a couple coats of acrylic urethane clear coat.

100_6077.thumb.jpg.31c7124aa0fbf94d7d3a3

100_6086.thumb.jpg.fccdf71a03a8cfa0fbc57Masking for the vinyl roof, black, and argent colors...

100_6089.thumb.jpg.ec3e60f867919cf73b8ce Got the imitation vinyl roof painted, along with the radiator, battery, and washer bottle.

100_6090.thumb.jpg.f0c955bdc4a6aa158876d100_5995.thumb.jpg.ddcde7535a73e97306c85Here is the photo etch kit I used...I'm sure you've all seen them before...Certainly adds excellent detail. It's getting there.....

Wow, thats looks awesome Mike, are you saying that you used the L shaped styrene? That certainly makes sense, l had never thought of using that. I'm getting a little smarter everyday, thanks to people like you...Thanks Mike!

You got it, simple L-shaped styrene strips, if you really wanted to go all out, you could add little screw heads on the inside, but I'm not that far gone...yet!

Edited by Custom Mike

We're nearing the end....100_6095.thumb.jpg.315182644c8d10b264647I had to affix my custom tail pipes to the rear valence, due to the fact that the exhaust is molded in the floor on this particular model, then I just brush painted them with some MM chrome silver.

100_6094.thumb.jpg.743c8d72591bd6e4c0e51100_6093.thumb.jpg.fe373142c9aff32d6fc19Here are a couple shots of the front end. now you can see the head lamps look a bit better(closer together), and also the photo etch grille. I still do not like the turn signals on this kit....If I ever build another, I'm going to make something different.. Below is a pic of the same model with no mods to the front.

100_1276.thumb.jpg.4e4d96af43263f8847ac2Next pics....She's all done!

Moving the headlights closer was worth every painstaking step. Well done. Can't wait to see if you made the bumpers look like the urethane ones. I sold a damaged urethane front bumper for $750 back in the early 90's. Wish I had it back now though.

She looks great Marcelo!! Hat's off to a job well done!

What color did you use for your carburetors?

Thanks Joe, if l recall correctly, l used Alclad polished aluminum first, followed by a light dusting of  Alclad gold. Thanks for the nice comments everyone....

I got one of these kits last week and had a few questions about the grill area.  I've seen pictures where the grill area is painted body color, and I've seen pictures where it is metallic like Mercelo has done here.  Are both correct?  If so what determines body color vs. metallic?  Also, are the big black decals on the rear quarter panel optional for Hemi's or standard?

Thanks!

Hi Samiches, l believe the grille's could be either body color or argent depending on what options the buyer wanted at the time.  Both are correct as far as l know. As far as the bill boards on the quarters for the hemi cars,  that's a great question, and l dont know the answer to that one. I know any car could be ordered with a stripe delete package back in the day, so l don't see why a hemi cuda could not be also.....but l'm not 100% sure.  Now l'm curious!

I got one of these kits last week and had a few questions about the grill area.  I've seen pictures where the grill area is painted body color, and I've seen pictures where it is metallic like Mercelo has done here.  Are both correct?  If so what determines body color vs. metallic?  Also, are the big black decals on the rear quarter panel optional for Hemi's or standard?

Thanks!

The body-coloured grille was an option , and was limited to certain colours ( from memory : Sno-White , B5 blue , B7 blue , Sassy Grass , Butterscotch , Tor-Red , E5 red , F7 or F8 green ) . The body-coloured grille was also part of the Elastomeric ( rubber ) Bumper Package ( option also included front-only , or front and rear ) , which was also limited to certain aforementioned paint colours.  Same goes for the 'painted' mirrors (and the option for one ( driver's side ) or both .

The so-called "Billboard Stripes" was standard with 340 , 383 HP , 440+6 , and Hemi . A "delete" option was also available .